Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times

Advertisements

You all have made me hungry and I'm stuck at work. That was a Friday or Saturday night tradition at our house and both of my grandparent's. I may have to attempt to make some myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
You all have made me hungry and I'm stuck at work. That was a Friday or Saturday night tradition at our house and both of my grandparent's. I may have to attempt to make some myself!
We had beans on most Saturday nights too. I try not to have them now.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Default Fried Clams and "Cape Cod Turkey".

Other Maine food traditions?......I know Mainah posted his recipe for fried clams once.....it sounded absolutely delicous and authentic....but like too much work for me to even contemplate doing at home.....I have fried clams about twice a summer....and have not been disappointed in whats being served up in Maines diners and roadside fry shacks. There is a place on Rt 1...just before the ramp to the highway to Sanford....that had great fried seafood....and Maine Diner's fisherman platter is incredible.

We ate a lot of fish growing up.....I think the creamed salt cod with sliced hard boiled eggs...served with a boiled potato was all about Maine....tho my Grammy. who lived her entire life on Stevens Ave in Portland.... called it "Cape Cod Turkey".

Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You can't have Boston (or Maine) Baked Beans without dark brown bread made in a can.

Boston Brown Bread Recipe | Simply Recipes

Impossible to have one without the other.
I've never been a fan of baked beans
I remember I had to "clean my plate" to leave the dinner table, and on saturday night, we had beans, I knew my mother was making them, I tried my hardest to sleep over a friends house, but no luck, I had to eat the beans
and
the bread from a can, which I disliked more

I slipped the dog as much of the beans as i could, sometimes she ate them, sometimes she didnt-then I fed her the bread,,,,,the dog threw up all over the floor
that didnt go over well

I dont believe ive ever had beans since I was 16.

or the bread
but I respect others who like it....

but because of baked beans, I vowed to never force my kid(s) to each anything they dont like- and i've honored that vow

Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Good for you......I didnt make my kids eat anything they didnt like either.....their mother tried....but it never works.

I did tell them the truth that if you don't eat that.....there's not much else you can have....but the option of a peanut butter sandwich was available. I also tried to take known tastes into consideration when I was planning the menu. I also had to make the budgetary limitations known as well as nutritional needs.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
We ate what was put in front of us, food didn't get wasted at our house and kids didn't dictate the menu. If we didn't eat it, we went hungry until the next meal...and what we didn't eat before was put in front of us again...eventually it got ate. Friday night was always fishsticks. I hated fish (still do). I learned to drown them in ketchup and chew as few times as possible.

We have a friend who adopted a kid a couple of years ago, she lets him walk all over her. He'll say he wants one thing for supper, she'll make it and then he'll say he doesn't want it, so she makes him something else. Then he won't eat *that* and she'll make him something else again until he eats something. Whatever he didn't eat gets thrown away...worst thing is, she's on the dole- only works part-time and doesn't make enough money to support herself, nevermind a kid too, so the public is paying for all the food this kid doesn't eat. I told her to send the kid to me for a few months, I'd straighten him out right quick.

[/rant]

Back to the topic...I just cut and pasted the recipe, maybe I should have done a little editing first but I was in a hurry. My apologies if anyone got shocked at the smartass way it's written.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM

36 posts, read 56,521 times
MMMM, baked beans every Saturday night with real hot dogs-skin on, and fight for the big onion floating in the beans and cooked to almost mush...
Biscuits on the side, huge ones and sometimes stuffed full of blueberries ( buying a humongous 20 lb bag of them for the winter freezer).
Venison steak
Moose heart/liver
Cowboy skillet dinner-macaroni and canned tomatoes with mustard/ketchup/brown sugar mixed in
When I lived in a cabin on the mountain, the only other person who also lived off the land, was a grizzled old guy named Red. He would bring me a chunk of salt pork in a 5 gallon bucket, in trade for letting him hunt on my land. Any beans were thrilled to sit alongside a piece of that heaven.
Pancakes. I can make them in my sleep and they are delicious. Eat with butter/brown sugar, or syrup or molasses.
There are so many others, but I am cranky tonight. :-P

Amy J

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I'm teaching a campfire cooking class this fall and will include bean hole beans. If I can get it mastered, brown bread in a Dutch oven is on the menu. Elston and Zymer, thanks for sharing your recipes. I'm going to make enough to feed 100 people so I'll have several pots cooking.

My favorite tastes of Maine are lobster dipped in Houlton Dairy Butter, a moose roast with onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and seasonings, seafood chowder and my all-time favorite comfort food, leek and potato soup. The blueberry muffins baking right now and reading and re-reading this thread have made my stomach growl!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 AM

MW I havent had Houlton Dairy Butter...but I do agree that lobster dipped in clarified melted butter is an unforgetable experience....I have also become a great fan of "lobster gazpacho" and it is about my fav way to have lobster on a hot summer day....outdoor picnic. I like to present it in a large glass bowl with a ladle..(punch bowl) ..it is really elegent!

Lobster Gazpacho

Ingredients: (Use local produce as available) 5 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped... 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped... 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped... 1 1/2 cups cucumber, peeled, chopped... 1/2 cup red onion, diced... 1/2 cup olive oil... 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar... 1/2 cup lobster or clam broth or 1/2 cup vegetable juice... Juice of one lime... 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped... 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced... 1 tsp. salt... 1/4 tsp. ground coriander... 1/2 tsp. black pepper... 12 oz. cooked lobster meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (leave a couple of the claws whole)
Directions:In batches, process tomatoes, red pepper, green pepper, cucumber, onion, olive oil, vinegar, broth and lime juice in food processor until medium to finely chopped. Stir in cilantro, jalapeno, coriander, salt and pepper and 1/2 of the lobster meat. Fill bowls with soup; garnish with the remaining lobster meat including a claw to top each serving. Serves 4-6.

Good Luck with the Bean Hole Beans!

Last edited by elston; 06-09-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Do you have any food traditions that just say "Maine" for you?

Blueberries...Specifically warm blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream. Pure heaven and pure Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine