Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Even a Soul doesn't weigh much, though it weighs a teensy bit more than my Rio. So...I'm convinced. When I finally have the cash, I'll get them.

When you say, "while still careful", would you still drive say 30mph like you did without them or do you feel you can go maybe 40mph? (Still well under speed limit.) I won't drive like a bat out of hell feeling like the studded tires will prevent me from careening off the road, I just want to know, from your experience with a Kia, if you were able to comfortably go just a bit faster?
don't try this at home.....

but here are a couple videos.... the videos look worse than it was, it looks like im riding the center of the road but im not

the worst is slush.....yesterday morning,,,was icy....later in the day was snowy,,,which id rather drive in snow than ice

winter driving4 - YouTube

this is one of the worst conditions, the roads werent plowed, ice and slush on the roads, I wouldnt pass anyone with this icy slush, because the slush can grab your tire

freezing rain - YouTube

this is is earlier in the day, not alot of slush, but freezing rain
as a young naive man years ago, I'd go right along 65 plus in this,,,,but have learned to slow down in age,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
Quote:
Even a Soul doesn't weigh much, though it weighs a teensy bit more than my Rio. So...I'm convinced. When I finally have the cash, I'll get them.

When you say, "while still careful", would you still drive say 30mph like you did without them or do you feel you can go maybe 40mph? (Still well under speed limit.) I won't drive like a bat out of hell feeling like the studded tires will prevent me from careening off the road, I just want to know, from your experience with a Kia, if you were able to comfortably go just a bit faster?
yes, I started driving with studs when I had the Aveo.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
don't try this at home.....

but here are a couple videos.... the videos look worse than it was, it looks like im riding the center of the road but im not

the worst is slush.....yesterday morning,,,was icy....later in the day was snowy,,,which id rather drive in snow than ice

winter driving4 - YouTube

this is one of the worst conditions, the roads werent plowed, ice and slush on the roads, I wouldnt pass anyone with this icy slush, because the slush can grab your tire

freezing rain - YouTube

this is is earlier in the day, not alot of slush, but freezing rain
as a young naive man years ago, I'd go right along 65 plus in this,,,,but have learned to slow down in age,,,,
Go about 12-15 mph slower, throw in some darkness, (even more fun!), and that is how I was driving. All trying to avoid what you videod in the second one...I don't want to be that car that was on the side. With studs, if I can go about 40mph, I'm thinking things would be ok and if anyone behind me gets impatient...well, then I might change my tune about them just dealing with it.

Thanks for the videos.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
yes, I started driving with studs when I had the Aveo.
Ok, so here's another question:

HOW does it feel driving with studs? Any considerations, does it steer or handle differently? What about when there is no snow, ice or slush on the roads? Will the car handle a lot different? Is it easier or more difficult to steer with the studs on or is it about the same, regardless of conditions?

My co-worker told me that with his studded tires, when the roads are clear, if he goes about 60mph, the car shakes. Is that just his car or have you also experienced that? And if you have experienced it, does it make steering more difficult?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wonder if they managed to save the Nordic Walking Sticks?

The sticks went up in flames but being full of water The Camelback made it out alive.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

HOW does it feel driving with studs? Any considerations, does it steer or handle differently? What about when there is no snow, ice or slush on the roads? Will the car handle a lot different? Is it easier or more difficult to steer with the studs on or is it about the same, regardless of conditions?

My co-worker told me that with his studded tires, when the roads are clear, if he goes about 60mph, the car shakes. Is that just his car or have you also experienced that? And if you have experienced it, does it make steering more difficult?
on clear roads, studs are louder than regular tires, and dependning on the vehicle, it can shake,,

Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:

HOW does it feel driving with studs?
We went out for an anniversary dinner tonight, on the way home we were having this discussion, 20F and watching the various colors on the pavement.

Before studs:
a- at any time the car might 'yaw' to one side or the other;

b- or it might decide to veer slightly toward the ditch and completely ignore what your doing with the steering wheel;

c- or if you had cruise-control on and you lightly tapped the brakes [just to turn cruise-control off] the car might suddenly spin 180degrees or 360degrees;

d- or it might decide to continue straight at a curve;

e- or while approaching an intersection you begin to lightly apply brakes when it decides continue on without slowing.

f- or one time, I saw a police car ahead of me on the side of the road, with it's lights flashing. I began to apply my brakes, my car yawed sideways 90-degrees and continued to move in the same direction following the road way. My car was positioned at a right angle to the road and was moving down the road at roughly 40mph. In this position I approached the police car. In total what was on-scene was a police car sitting in the ditch, a second car in the ditch that had nailed a tree, a tow truck obviously to pull both the wrecked car and the police car out of the ditch, and a police officer standing on the shoulder who narrowly missed being swiped by my car as I slid past the scene at 40mph. Another 20 yards later my car straightened in the lane, I regained relative control and I continued home.

[I have experienced each of these things on black ice in Maine. Bonnie has her own list of 'before studs' experiences]

After studs:
we have never again experienced anything to indicate that we were driving on ice. Studs grip.

A person could conclude that installing studs magically caused our road to stop getting black ice.

Or a person could conclude that studs grip so good that we have never again experienced any of those sliding on ice problems.

Quote:
... Any considerations, does it steer or handle differently?
No.

Quote:
... What about when there is no snow, ice or slush on the roads?
No.

Quote:
... Will the car handle a lot different? Is it easier or more difficult to steer with the studs on or is it about the same, regardless of conditions?
The only difference I can tell is when your on black ice.

Quote:
... My co-worker told me that with his studded tires, when the roads are clear, if he goes about 60mph, the car shakes. Is that just his car or have you also experienced that? And if you have experienced it, does it make steering more difficult?
He needs to get his tires balanced. And maybe his car's alignment needs to be looked at. I have had motorcycles that had bad shimmies. The tires were out of balance.

The only difference we can tell is the noise. Studs are loud.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
I live off the stretch of 95 that is 75mph, drive with studs, no shakes.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
I think Three Wolves mentioned she has M & S (mud and snow) tires. The MS tires I've seen have fairly aggressive tread. Possibly they're pre-drilled for studs? If so, maybe save a few bucks.

This is probably common practice, but if I used studded tires in winter I'd also have a set of all season tires for summer driving mounted on extra/spare rims so come spring, you don't have to have someone remove and switch tires on same rims. This is a good idea for plain ole unstudded snow tires also.

Also, don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread but it's a bad idea to use cruise control in winter driving.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
I think Three Wolves mentioned she has M & S (mud and snow) tires. The MS tires I've seen have fairly aggressive tread. Possibly they're pre-drilled for studs? If so, maybe save a few bucks.

This is probably common practice, but if I used studded tires in winter I'd also have a set of all season tires for summer driving mounted on extra/spare rims so come spring, you don't have to have someone remove and switch tires on same rims. This is a good idea for plain ole unstudded snow tires also.

Also, don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread but it's a bad idea to use cruise control in winter driving.
Ah, good idea...I will look in to that when it comes time for me to get the studs. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine