Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM

30,273 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
News flash: a Volvo handles this with no problem. You may not know this but they come from Sweden, and it is winter a lot there.

But feel free to stick with your Pontiac or whatever if that works better for your prejudices. I'll wave at you from my Sube as you're spinning tires.
Someone needs to get a sense of humor. Black Friday is coming up, maybe you can find one on special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hopefully its a mild winter again this year, saves on the oil, and saves on the plow trucks, on the road .
and calcium/sand

today , I played 27 holes of golf, with many others in augusta- in mid november, maybe this is a sign, this winter will be a mild one.

january and febuary are really the only two winter months of the year,,,,,march, the temps start rising,,,,and decembers have been mild the last few years
although both months CAN be harsh.

I remember years, that snow fell hard in october and also storms into may,
I'm praying for another mild one. If I can make it past this winter, I'll be good because I'll have moved much, much closer to work by next winter. And, by that time, I'll be able to afford winter tires or even studs.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hopefully its a mild winter again this year, saves on the oil, and saves on the plow trucks, on the road .
and calcium/sand

today , I played 27 holes of golf, with many others in augusta- in mid november, maybe this is a sign, this winter will be a mild one.

january and febuary are really the only two winter months of the year,,,,,march, the temps start rising,,,,and decembers have been mild the last few years
although both months CAN be harsh.

I remember years, that snow fell hard in october and also storms into may,

We just bought a new plow. It isn't going to snow at all now.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Last year we got a new snow blower and had a mild winter. This year you got the plow. Someone want to sign up for winter 2013/14?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Front mounted, pto driven, snow-blower on a 4x4 tractor! The best equipment purchase we ever made

It is hard to describe how much owning that changes your attitude to winters

LOL

Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Front mounted, pto driven, snow-blower on a 4x4 tractor! The best equipment purchase we ever made

It is hard to describe how much owning that changes your attitude to winters

LOL
Tractor envy!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I will let a Mainah give you the official answer but from my understanding it is the line that keeps the granola eating, birkenstock and sock wearing, volvo or subaru driving, hippy who moved here from MASS or NY, or some other pretentious place in New England, to Maine and then demands that Maine be just like where they left

from

Those who like things slow, quiet and who live and let live, don't get all up in your business, wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Birkenstocks, let alone paired with socks, laid back, truly down to earth kinda folks.

But I could just be a little jaded from Californians who overtook every good state on the west coast.
Hmmmm....

My observation is that yuppies drive volvos, not hippies. There are probably more hippies the further north you go because it's cheaper.

On a side note, I grew up in the Ellsworth area. My stepfather drove a volvo and my mom drove a saab. I was extremely embarassed. Not because of an invisible line, but because no one had even seen such weird cars way back when. Thank goodness we also had a chevy blazer. That at least made us look more normal.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post

That happened to us the year we bought a brand new snow blower.

On behalf of all of us commuters, may I just say "Thank you for shopping at Nor'easter Inc."

Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM

404 posts, read 778,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ah yes, Augusta, I forgot all about that town. Thanks for all the links! (What is Reny's?) As far as work times...we will be on 12 hours shifts and since I am more than willing to work night shifts, I may be going to work when all the tourists are.......
Reny's! You have to go its a total maine thing....I think the closest one to where your at now is the one in ellsworth, dexter or try stopping by the one in Pittsfield on your way down 95 some time.

And Yes you need to move closer to the job, you'll find the right place and be happier you did, plus it will satisfy your gypsy need to move I can totally identify with!

Maybe this time you can find a place with a door yard ;-)

Best of luck in the new Job and the commute!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Reny's! You have to go its a total maine thing....I think the closest one to where your at now is the one in ellsworth, dexter or try stopping by the one in Pittsfield on your way down 95 some time.

And Yes you need to move closer to the job, you'll find the right place and be happier you did, plus it will satisfy your gypsy need to move I can totally identify with!

Maybe this time you can find a place with a door yard ;-)

Best of luck in the new Job and the commute!
Well, a co-worker who I carpool with showed me a Reny's alongside the highway in Belfast...but I'm not stopping in Belfast because...well, have you driven in Belfast? I like to just get out of it as quickly as possible. But he told me what Reny's was and why I should go there after I read your post. I guess I'll put that on my "tourist attraction" list.

Yes, even if I stay in the same state, heck sometimes the same city, I can't seem to stop the desire to keep moving. Ask me how many times I moved while I lived in Seattle! Actually, don't because I lost count.

I'm looking forward to being as official a Mainer as I'll ever be allowed to be...when I finally get my very own dooryard. It would be an exciting day. I may even have a dooryard party.

Thanks for the luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine