Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Dont forget the annual machine-gun shoot in Anson Maine.
Is that the successor to the Hiram Maxim Historical Society Machine Gun Shoot in Dover-Foxcroft (IIRC)? I went one year in the late 1990s. A participant drove up from New Hampshire towing an anti-tank gun behind his car. Said he had no problem with tailgaters. Seeing its effect on a junked automobile was awe-inspiring. Watching 20 or more people on the firing line shooting various machine guns, from a genuine WWI Maxim to a WWII .30-caliber to a modern SAW was nothing short of amazing. There were enough automatic weapons there to supply a small Balkan nation.

In reference to the OP, from what I've heard Maine gun dealers have experienced the same demand and subsequent short supply that other states have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 AM

625 posts, read 791,746 times
We have a get together up here for shooters every summer. Many stamp collectors attend. I go to knob Creek every year more for shopping then the shoot itself though I must admit I never miss the night shoots..

Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
What the heck are you shooting at in that video? Hope it wasn't little kids. Or a deer. Or a bear. The meat will be all messed up. A wolf or rabid dog coming to get you? Someone egg your house? Someone cut you off in traffic?

Well you should see my wife and my sister shoot their AR-15's. I have my own.

I have something they don't have however and that's an AK-47.

I am however very generous, they can shoot it anytime they wish.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:03 PM

151 posts, read 199,134 times
Default I'm ascareded...

and I live in Canadaland, are these replies real? Yikes ! and I'm not saying anymore.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
and I live in Canadaland, are these replies real? Yikes ! and I'm not saying anymore.
No need to be 'ascareded'. Canadaland is a nice place too

Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Many Canadians own such firearms. They are stored here because they cant bring them home - yet. Should they ever be needed in Canada they are available and can be brought home by boat or snowmobile depending on the season.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
Many Canadians still own weapons, they just don't talk about it much to try to keep the Gestapo from coming to collect them.

Until relatively recently, MA state law regarding the militia specified that all men between the ages of 18 and 35 were automatically members of the militia, as were all men up to the age of 65 who had prior military service. The law further required members of the militia to supply their own weapons and ammunition "...in type and kind of modern weapons currently in use by the armed forces..."

This law, dating from the early years of the country and still on the books as of the mid 1980s, gives some insight as to the intentions of the Founding Fathers regarding the 2nd Amendment. Contrary to what some may believe, the 2nd Amendment was not primarily considering personal defense against common criminals, but rather a unified defense by the People against the abuse of power by the Government. This is further illustrated by the law's specification that prior military service members were members of the militia up to the age of 65, and the military service oath which has for centuries contained the the primary duty to "...protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic..."

Note that the oath does NOT say "...to protect the Government of the United States...", but rather "the Constitution". The Constitution [and the amendments] was and [so far] still is a separate entity, documenting and enumerating the rights of the People and limiting the powers of 'the Government'.

The Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment, were designed to ensure that ultimate power remains in the hands of the People, and to provide the People with a means of effecting a change in government by the forcible removal (if necessary) of those in power should they attempt to abuse that power. The 2nd Amendment is/was intended to be to be another of the checks and balances to prevent those in government from abusing the power that the People put in their hands by electing them to office.

A disarmed populace becomes nothing more than sheep, fodder to be consumed and used by the 'shepherds' for their own profit and gain, at their mercy and without means to protest their treatment except by ineffective bleating as they are carried off to slaughter.

It is for *this* reason (even more than personal defense against common criminals) that ALL efforts to infringe on the RIGHT of the People to keep and bear arms must be vigorously opposed.

From the Oxford Dictionary law topic:

Definition of infringe
verb (infringes, infringing, infringed)

[with object]
1) actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): making an unauthorized copy would infringe copyright

2) act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: such widespread surveillance could infringe personal liberties

Merely requiring a 'license' to own/carry weapons of any type infringes on the Right of the People to do so because it limits and undermines the Right, requiring people to somehow 'qualify' in order to exercise it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit that we are at a crucial point, and if the attempts to disarm the populace (no matter how seemingly well-intentioned) are not defeated, we will be on a downhill slide that will permit those in power to remain in power despite and against the will of the People, for we will no longer have the means of opposing them. The 'government' will become our 'Masters', and no matter how benevolent they may claim to be, or appear to be (in the beginning), we will become the 'servants' and we will no longer be 'free'.

It is Human nature that some people will seek to have power over others, and further, that some people will seek to increase their power and use it for personal gain. This has been a common theme throughout history, from the very first prehistoric savage who discovered that, by pretending that he had access to the words and ways of 'gods', he could have power over the other members of his tribe and bend them to his will for his own benefit. Despite our pretentions to being 'civilized', there is absolutely nothing to indicate that this nature has changed. This is prominently evident both in governments and religions, whose 'leaders' wallow in riches and luxury while people who are less 'fortunate' support them, either through taxation or by conscription (is there a difference?) or by social engineering whereby the people are 'encouraged' to submit 'offerings'.

There is a saying, that 'power' corrupts. It does, it always has, and for the foreseeable future it always will. This is not to say that *everyone* becomes corrupted by power but many do, and there are those who are already corrupt who seek power, and those who become corrupted and seek additional power. We need only look at the scandals and abuses that continue to occur to know that this is true.

Pure Democracy in action: Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

If the people do not retain the same teeth as the wolves, they will be no more than sheep, and subject to whatever fate the wolves choose to impose on them.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
What the heck are you shooting at in that video? Hope it wasn't little kids. Or a deer. Or a bear. The meat will be all messed up. A wolf or rabid dog coming to get you? Someone egg your house? Someone cut you off in traffic?
Are you from Maine? Just curious.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 PM

625 posts, read 791,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Are you from Maine? Just curious.
My guess would be no. Though being a northern MASS resident ( AKA southern Maine ) is a possibility..

Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
No sir that is right. I have family in south Jersey Bridgton/ Hopewell I hear about your pain all the time. Tey love to come up here and play with all the things they are not allowed to have. Hey be happy you are not as limited as our friends to the north in canada.
Dear god, are you people completely out of your minds? As if weapons are toys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine