Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

Republicans, libertarians and most independents do not vote for bond issues. Democrats vote for all bond issues except for prison bonds. They don't want their no good brother-in-law's kids staying with them when said b-in-law is in the slammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
... Funny you should mention the university submariner. I'm taking some forestry classes here (there? I'm in VT 4 days of the week, ME 3, most weeks here). I've found the politics of the students seems to vary depending on their field/major. The forestry students run more conservative (lots of gunowners), the "women, gender and sexuality" students are going to be predictably way to the left, along with the sociologists, and others who love cities and controlling others. I think the more detached from the real (natural) world people get, the less rational their thinking.
U of Maine actually has a few conservative professors. But overall, it's pretty liberal. The student body is pretty liberal overall, with some pockets of conservatism. I think the forestry students are probably one of those conservative clusters.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
U of Maine actually has a few conservative professors. But overall, it's pretty liberal. The student body is pretty liberal overall, with some pockets of conservatism. I think the forestry students are probably one of those conservative clusters.
Along with Ag students.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM

506 posts, read 684,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Depends on how you look at Maine. Southern Maine has more population and if far more liberal. While MAINE that part of the state located north of Bangor is more self sufficient thus leans more right. Portland open carry a firearm the police will harass you even though it is legal. Up here you can walk down the road with a handgun on you;re side and a rifle on your shoulder and nobody will give you a second look. Those on the dole tend to gather together on mass thus gain political power. Live off welfare and you vote for the hand that feeds you.
Yes, police in Portland serve the public and when dozens of people call in to tell them that a man is openly carrying an assault weapon down the street..........I can't imagine why there wouldn't be some level of concern in the heart of the city with all of the recent events that have taken place. Thankfully, most gun owners are responsible and smart enough to know better than to pull a stunt like this even though it is their "right" and legal.

Anyway........I think that there is a mix of ideals in Maine with the "live and let live" mentality being the dominant trait.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Well, this isn't quite right. There are many districts (northern Aroostook county for example) where oftentimes there isn't even a Republican on the ticket.

There are two kinds of Democrats in Maine. Southern Maine has the Teddy Kennedy Democrats. They are well to do liberals. The rest of Maine has the poor Democrats that know which side their bread is buttered on. As I said earlier, the non-Democrats (and probably a majority) just vote in very unpredictable ways. It could be a liberal, or it could be LePage, or it could be Ross Perot. I do know one thing, none of them ever saw a bond issue they didn't like.
It's not that unpredictable.

Collins holds the Senate seat because she's had the seat, and any competition is **** poor, one wonders if they even try.

LePage is the Governor because it was split three ways. Had the democrat lady ducked out (she should have) we'd have an independent governor. He didn't win by more than, basically, a handful of votes. Cuttler runs again, Democrats bow out or there is an effort to enlist more of them on Cuttlers ballot, he can carry the next election. Really isn't a strong Democrat name right now.

Maine is more liberals and liberal leaning independents. They're not that hard to predict. For elections anyhow.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not that unpredictable.

Collins holds the Senate seat because she's had the seat, and any competition is **** poor, one wonders if they even try.

LePage is the Governor because it was split three ways. Had the democrat lady ducked out (she should have) we'd have an independent governor. He didn't win by more than, basically, a handful of votes. Cuttler runs again, Democrats bow out or there is an effort to enlist more of them on Cuttlers ballot, he can carry the next election. Really isn't a strong Democrat name right now.

Maine is more liberals and liberal leaning independents. They're not that hard to predict. For elections anyhow.
What happened to the liberals the first time gay marriage was put to a vote? The liberals handily lost that battle until they got less pushy.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What happened to the liberals the first time gay marriage was put to a vote? The liberals handily lost that battle until they got less pushy.
Conservatives traditionally do better on the odd years, nationally. Fewer people come out to vote, not as much competition...

It was repealed in 2009, later reversed in 2012. Has nothing to do with "pushy" and not sure what it has to do with the conversation.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure that Mainers are that liberal on social issues. The gay marriage issue was largely decided by just repeatedly bringing it up and large amounts of out of state money pouring into a scarcely populated state. Southern Maine is becoming more and more dominated by people from Massachusetts, and it's hard to get more liberal than them.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that Mainers are that liberal on social issues. The gay marriage issue was largely decided by just repeatedly bringing it up and large amounts of out of state money pouring into a scarcely populated state. Southern Maine is becoming more and more dominated by people from Massachusetts, and it's hard to get more liberal than them.
Public polls over the years have shown a shrinking population against it (I know... public polls...).

I think 2009 repeal was 53% to 47%. Ironically, the 2012 repeal of 2009 was 53% to 47%.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Public polls over the years have shown a shrinking population against it (I know... public polls...).

I think 2009 repeal was 53% to 47%. Ironically, the 2012 repeal of 2009 was 53% to 47%.
Well, first of all, I can produce a poll to show any result I want (which I think is what you were implying). But even if you accept the polls as valid, they really confirm the effect of southern Maine's demographics changing, northern and rural Maine losing population, and the effect of many years of propaganda from liberal media sources and out-of-state money. I, personally, couldn't care less either way about gay marriage, but money and vastly one-sided propaganda will have a major effect on voting results. My point is that I don't think that means that Maine is socially liberal overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine