Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times

Advertisements

Here we go again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Skip the Outback. Get the Forester. It has better ground clearance, better gear ratios and more room and a lower price.

The outback and forester have the same ground clearance, and the outback has MORE interior room. I don't know anything about gear ratios, however we have been considering getting one of the two aforementioned vehicles.

On topic for this thread, bring on the snow!

Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
The outback and forester have the same ground clearance......
Ground Clearance in not an issue where I live on MDI. If you can actually get out on the roads, you don't need to worry about driving in snow over about 3 inches deep. They get cleared really fast. Its getting past the huge pile of snow at the end of the drive way from the conscientious snow plows.

I have a Ford Explorer AWD 5 liter V-8 and have only ever used it one time when I needed to drive on a Park road that was in 6 inches of snow and hadn't been plowed. What is an issue is the AWD and most especially the need for really good winter tires. I have General Altimaxes and they are phenomenal, and I don't even have studs in them.

But here we go again.... Hancock county has a watch for 12-16+ inches of powder according to the Banger TV station, for tonight from 7PM to 10AM tomorrow. No Quaker Meeting tomorrow I guess. Of course its supposed to be 40F on next friday and raining.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Ground Clearance in not an issue where I live on MDI. If you can actually get out on the roads, you don't need to worry about driving in snow over about 3 inches deep. They get cleared really fast. Its getting past the huge pile of snow at the end of the drive way from the conscientious snow plows. ...
Maybe you need a device that can move 'huge piles of snow'?

Maybe a device that has a front auger that can chew-up snow/ice.
Maybe a device that has a secondary blower on it, that can throw the snow/ice mixture dozens of yards away [maybe 40 or 50 foot away in some direction].
Maybe a device that can power itself, and you just steer it as it moves along.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Maybe you need a device that can move 'huge piles of snow'?

Maybe a device that has a front auger that can chew-up snow/ice.
Maybe a device that has a secondary blower on it, that can throw the snow/ice mixture dozens of yards away [maybe 40 or 50 foot away in some direction].
Maybe a device that can power itself, and you just steer it as it moves along.

I have a "device". Its a big snow blower by Toro: 24 x 15 inch front maul. It isn't happy unless the snow is at least 8 inches deep. It chugs right through the pile at the end of the driveway.

Right now we look to have gotten about 18 inches or so. Gonna have to snow rake the roof in preparation for rain on Wednesday.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Looks like we ended with about 15 inches here on MDI. I punched through it all with the big Toro snow blower, including the plowed in snow at the end of the drive way which was about 20 inches high.

Our road was completely plowed before the snow was over.

Ready for the next storm. I guess I should do a little bit of roof raking just in case the next storm in more water than snow. I'll try not to almost kill my wife this time.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
WHIO-AM in Dayton mentioned that Princeton Maine got 20 inches of snow. I was probably the only one in their entire listening area that has ever been there let alone knows where it is.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Looks like another 6-10 inches of powder tonight for Downeast Maine.

One of my big problems is a place for the poor dog to cr@p. I mean, he's a big lab but still he tends to hold it rather than put his butt down on the snow. This afternoon I had to get the snow blower out and snow blow a big 20 x 20 foot square in the front yard for him to use for his bathroom.

I also raked as much snow as I could off the roof. Apparently when the previous-previous owners of the house remodeled it the must have put R-45 or R-50 in the roof and R-35 in the walls. Compared to our neighbors anywhere on the island, the only people who have as much snow on their roofs as us are people who live in Florida in the winter and aren't actually heating their houses.

With this snow cover, this morning, the temperature to walk the dog was -15 F. Luckily hardly any wind, or it would have been Caribou wind chills. Pretty cold for Downeast, though more normal for Houlton, but maybe not in late February. All this cold is being caused by global warming, you know.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM

506 posts, read 683,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
All this cold is being caused by global warming, you know.
I have to go on a minor rant there......why do people continue to believe the false pretense that "global warming" means that it will be betting warmer EVERYWHERE all the time???

*sigh*

Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
I have to go on a minor rant there......why do people continue to believe the false pretense that "global warming" means that it will be betting warmer EVERYWHERE all the time???

*sigh*
I was kidding.

There has been no global warming world-wide for almost 18 years. The whole thing is a political ploy to prevent the third world from getting access to growth and resources and to keep the first world on top.

Its a giant sham. Even the warmists have now admitted that there is no warming and are wondering why the models don't seem to be working. Of course, they are saying that it will just be a break from warming. Most of them will be dead by the time it starts up again, so they can say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine