Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:02 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This saturday (22nd) at my church we are observing the solstice with drumming down the sun around 4:30 a bon fire and observance to honor, "all that is" and then hot soups and bread as a communal meal. It won't be freezing like when i wnt to similar obsrvances in NH, but for us out here it will be nippy!
sounds like a great observance! I am more likely to be "drumming UP the sun on Saturday, for the astronomical moment of Solstice comes after midnight and before sunrise... but it's all good.

I know in the Olden Days they could not -- and did not -- keep time to the mili-microsecond... and have never had any indication that "close enough" is not good enough for The Powers That Be.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I'm soooo longing for a bonfire in the snow. My "BFF" (haha) has flown off to Florida for an undetermined amount of time. My Grandkids are in Ma. and we are not this year. We're getting OLD!! Yes,.. a bonfire... with hot cocoa and marshmallows and some music and talk! Hmm,.. maybe I should get one of those DVD's that have the "Crackling Fire" that plays on the tv.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Oh I wish you could come to our bon fire for it will be All That!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Similarly when I first came to California I couldn't discern any change in the seasons--there were flowers in the garden year round--but now I am very aware of the different flowers in gardens and the stark difference in the wild landscape. Seasons are as much about amount and quality of light and about moisture, as they are about temperature.....and it is all a process. In New England the clearest point of change is when the earth finally "locks up" and the frozen ground has reached its depth...then after holding the earth captive for awhile, it slowly relaxes from the top down...hence MUD season.
Well said.

I grew up in California in the central valley. Spring is very short and has green grass, rain and mud, the grasses die quickly. In early summer the hills turn to brown dry dead grass. Every summer is a drought, the grass is dead. High up in the Sierras the creosote bushes drip their highly flammable creosote sap everywhere. So brush fires are common. In winter the valley gets packed in with cloud cover, so they get months of solid over-cast. As the barometric pressure changes the cloud layer goes up and down. When it comes down low it is a ground fog with a ceiling of 2,000 feet and they see a lot of traffic deaths. Most of the time the cover hangs there a bit higher. Until next spring.

If you have a source of year around water, then crops grow very good in the central valley of California. But water gets harder to access each year as the cities demand the water, and the courts slowly take more water-rights away from the farmers.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,745 times
NOW...We have "Ghosts"
Ghosts, Moose, Yaks, Mice.... OH MY!!!!!

Last edited by Abbymoulton; 12-20-2007 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: added

Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Yes, I got a visit from "the Ghost of Christmas Future"....love that one!!

What wonderfully creative friends we have!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:34 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
The Yule Log is is often accredited to the Norse pagan celebration of the Yule, beginning on the Winter Solstice. They would haul in the largest log they could find, and light it afire. The log burned for approximately 12 days. Hence the 12 day thing!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'm soooo longing for a bonfire in the snow. My "BFF" (haha) has flown off to Florida for an undetermined amount of time. My Grandkids are in Ma. and we are not this year. We're getting OLD!! Yes,.. a bonfire... with hot cocoa and marshmallows and some music and talk! Hmm,.. maybe I should get one of those DVD's that have the "Crackling Fire" that plays on the tv.
they showed that fire on the jumbotrons (sp?) at the Patriots games to "warm" the crowd...hehehe.

We just took apart our firepit because we had a shed put up in that spot...now I want it back...you made it sound so nice.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:56 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
my question to you is simple: where did you *think* you were moving?

Because if you know geography at all, you had to have known Maine's location. You behave as if all this weather has completely blindsided you....that it's a complete shock and you had no idea. Doesn't sound like YOU did YOUR research.

oh, BTW....we're not 6 months away from all that....seriously now.
This is December, we don't get leaves and flowers until May. That's 6 months. We haven't had leaves since October...that's 8 months with no leaves and no flowers.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
my question to you is simple: where did you *think* you were moving?

Because if you know geography at all, you had to have known Maine's location. You behave as if all this weather has completely blindsided you....that it's a complete shock and you had no idea. Doesn't sound like YOU did YOUR research.

oh, BTW....we're not 6 months away from all that....seriously now.
Oh yeah, and it's not like I had any choice where I was raised and where my parents moved. Unfortunately, unless something unexpected happens and I come into a bunch of money I am stuck here for 4-5 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine