Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:27 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
... Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap.
This is a big feature

Quote:
... People can commute, as noted. The highway speed limit is now 75, so you can drive to Lincoln or the Bangor area in an hour or less. Same with any other jobs in the area. I know people who live in Millinocket and work in Bangor four days a week. It's worth it to them, when a house costs half what it would in Bangor and you get to live ten minutes from Baxter.
And while there are few high paying jobs in the East Millinocket/Millinocket area, there are jobs. The unemployment rate in that area is 12%, which is high. But it's not like nobody is working.
I just want people to be accurate and give good information.
From a personal point of view, I would rather be a bit poorer and live in the Katahdin area than be a bit richer and live in a boring part of Maine.
If your primary focus is high pay then go to Houston or LA. Earn more, pay more to live there, and deal with the smog.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 05:54 PM

304 posts, read 397,296 times
Default "Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap...

..."Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap."... [/quote]

and

..."From a personal point of view, I would rather be a bit poorer and live in the Katahdin area than be a bit richer and live in a boring part of Maine..." [/quote]

Amen! - I agree with your Philosophy here!!!

Specifically what town names come to mind for "Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap"?

My Wife is 67 and I am 63 and we want to come up to Maine, to live the rest of our Life, next year 2016.

We'd like to be up around Rangeley Lake/Western MTS/border with NH area. Lakes & Mountains, please!
I would hope for some acres of land, perhaps an old farmhouse, 'would Love an old Barn for storage, LOTS of privacy, rural, quiet, no neighbors nearby.

We'd be living mostly on Soc. Sec. money, and a small monthly Pension.

Wife is Disabled, but active. I'm willing and way able to work. (I do odd jobs and firewood, tree cutting on my own, and sell firewood for extra dollars).

- Ideally, we'd probably like to rent. (We pay $900/month now) is it possible to pay less in way Rural Maine? We probably couldn't afford to Buy a house.

Could you or other knowledgeable folks give us a [big] list of possible town names, where our above Dream might be found?

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt
...dying to get O-U-T of Connecticut, and into the Great North Country!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:57 PM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
..."Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap."...

and

..."From a personal point of view, I would rather be a bit poorer and live in the Katahdin area than be a bit richer and live in a boring part of Maine..."

Amen! - I agree with your Philosophy here!!!

Specifically what town names come to mind for "Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap"?

My Wife is 67 and I am 63 and we want to come up to Maine, to live the rest of our Life, next year 2016.

We'd like to be up around Rangeley Lake/Western MTS/border with NH area. Lakes & Mountains, please!
I would hope for some acres of land, perhaps an old farmhouse, 'would Love an old Barn for storage, LOTS of privacy, rural, quiet, no neighbors nearby.

We'd be living mostly on Soc. Sec. money, and a small monthly Pension.

Wife is Disabled, but active. I'm willing and way able to work. (I do odd jobs and firewood, tree cutting on my own, and sell firewood for extra dollars).

- Ideally, we'd probably like to rent. (We pay $900/month now) is it possible to pay less in way Rural Maine? We probably couldn't afford to Buy a house.

Could you or other knowledgeable folks give us a [big] list of possible town names, where our above Dream might be found?

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt
...dying to get O-U-T of Connecticut, and into the Great North Country!
Wait... what, how on Earth are you going to get acreage without buying a house?

Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
... Specifically what town names come to mind for "Retirees can get a great house in a great area for dirt cheap"?

You are looking at the Southern portions of Maine. Which may tend to have higher pricing and higher COL, because it attracts so many tourists [being close to NH].

Quote:
... We'd be living mostly on Soc. Sec. money, and a small monthly Pension.

... is it possible to pay less in way Rural Maine? We probably couldn't afford to Buy a house.

You earn a lot more than do many of our neighbors. So it should be possible, but you may need to get away from the tourist regions of Maine.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Wait... what, how on Earth are you going to get acreage without buying a house?
I do not understand your question.

It is very common for acreage to be 'undeveloped'. The parcels of land we bought were undeveloped. There are six parcels adjacent to our land and only two of them have year-round dwellings on them.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not understand your question.

It is very common for acreage to be 'undeveloped'. The parcels of land we bought were undeveloped. There are six parcels adjacent to our land and only two of them have year-round dwellings on them.
I mean for them to move to Maine and rent BELOW the Connecticut price while getting a BARN and a HOUSE WITH ACREAGE. I have no idea how you could get all of that for the range of $900/mo.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I mean for them to move to Maine and rent BELOW the Connecticut price while getting a BARN and a HOUSE WITH ACREAGE. I have no idea how you could get all of that for the range of $900/mo.
If you look around up in the Northern half of the state, you may find much lower pricing.

I am down here in the Southern half of Maine [20 miles North of Bangor], around my area you can see many abandoned farmhouses. I am certain, a smart person could locate the owner and work out a deal for many of them. A occupied house ages much better than an unoccupied house.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
You can do all that in Maine. Rent a nice handicap accessible house and buy a 40 acre lot to have fun in.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 AM

35 posts, read 44,034 times
When I posted about East Millinocket it was just an example of how much cheaper it seems houses are there. The housing on the west coast is outrageous, and getting more so.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:47 AM

East Millinocket is where the party is at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine