Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 PM

35 posts, read 44,034 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oregon, but have always felt I belong on the east coast, Maine or Massachusetts in particular. I've been reading a lot about both states and want to visit, then hopefully eventually move there. The problem is, my husband is a welder/fabricator and the jobs in that field in maine seem to make significantly less than he does here. I'm sure the cost of living is lower in Maine though, so it balances out. How are taxes? (Income, sales, etc). Cost of groceries and other necessities? I'd really love to hear some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Try reading through this thread to get a feel for the COL here in Maine.

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...igh-maine.html

It's not the taxes or the cost of things, it's that what you will make here is less than in other areas, that will make things seem expensive. It may all come as a wash when all is compared.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM

I actually was just reading that after I posted. It seems that the taxes aren't really as bad as everyone thinks, just that the pay isn't great. We would probably only consider the move after the husband joins the union here so he can eventually just transfer elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:05 PM

26 posts, read 41,341 times
Tax's are high in Maine. Our governor is trying to bring them down but with 30 years of dem control its a hard job. This is what I pay with two incomes. Income tax is 8%. Real estate tax on a 180K house 2800.00 a year in a small town. Big city is more. excise tax on two 5 year old cars 675.00 a year. gas tax is .48 a gal. Sales tax is 5.5% 7% for eat out food. Your retirement is taxed at the time is taken out of your check. Elct. is .14 a kilo wt. Another big cost is heating 2000 sgft newer house will run 2 to 4 k a year depending on oil prices. I know welders at BIW and other boat shops will start at 18 and top out at 25 an hour. Maine has a lot of good thing going for it now. The governor would like to eliminate income tax and that should bring us in a little better with the rest of New England. Don't over look New Hampshire no sales or income.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 PM

Thank you. That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. So this excise tax is simply for owning a car? Even if you don't have a car payment? I've looked into NH a little bit too. $18-$25 is what my husband makes here, so that's pretty decent. Oregon is beautiful, but this is our first year here, and I am quite disappointed with the mild winter. I want snow! I've also always thought New England history was most interesting too.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAck View Post
The governor would like to eliminate income tax and that should bring us in a little better with the rest of New England. Don't over look New Hampshire no sales or income.
I hate TO BREak it to you, but LePage is not interested in eliminating the income tax. He only put that into his inauguration speech because discussion about further tax reform is stalled, and he knew that bringing out a subject like this would galvanize it. Going to a high sales tax would only put the onus on the people who can least avoid it.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
In Maine there is a big difference between urban COL/taxes and rural COL/taxes. There are many different regions in Maine, few pictures describe all of Maine.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrose85 View Post
Thank you. That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. So this excise tax is simply for owning a car? Even if you don't have a car payment? I've looked into NH a little bit too. $18-$25 is what my husband makes here, so that's pretty decent. Oregon is beautiful, but this is our first year here, and I am quite disappointed with the mild winter. I want snow! I've also always thought New England history was most interesting too.
On the coast we've yet to have a snow bigger than 5 inches. But we have about 7 on the ground now. Up here anything smaller than about 8 is really just a nuance. I snow blow the drive way in about 15 minutes, and out we go. Of course we have an AWD Subaru, with anti-lock and traction control with super General Winter tires. I love pulling out through the 7 inches of snow like nothing is there. That combination I've yet to find a condition that I've had any trouble at all with. Of course the night before last it was -12 F at my house.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 AM

That sounds pretty great. It would take some time to adjust, but I like change. What about fishing and fun things for kids?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:28 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Maine has over 3,000 miles of coastline, plus many rivers, lakes and ponds.

I think of it as an ideal place for year-round outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine