Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that most of the questions and worries in most of the posts are asking about life here in the snow/cold.
The most normal questions are:
1) How much snow do you get?
2) How cold does it get?
3) How do you drive in snow?
4) Do you have to live close to your work place because of the winter?
5) How are the roads kept?
6) Can you still do outdoor activities?
7) What equipment/clothes do you need?

I thought it might be beneficial if we had a thread that addresses those questions and concerns. NOT a thread for bitching about weather and such, but one that is constructive and helpful for people who might have been away from cold and snow, or might never have been around it.

Here are my standard answers to the questions:
1) Amount of snow fall can vary greatly from year to year. I have seen years that have almost no snowfall (40" - 50" is all) to years that you have to wonder where to put it all from your driveway by January (this year is shaping up to be like that).

2) Again it varies greatly year to year. To me it always seems colder the years we don't get a lot of snow. Might just be a mental thing. This year has had some cold days, and this coming week looks like it has the potential to be the worse yet for the year. They are predicting -22 for Sunday night here.

3) Driving in snow is a learned activity. There is no way you can learn how to do it without actually getting out there and doing it. Sure it IS going to be nerve racking the first year, maybe the first few years for you, but, each and every driver on the roads with you started out the same way. For most of us it was the first winter we had a drivers license and we have did it for far too many years already so it looks easy to others. We were all nervous as we were learning also. Find a safe location like a parking lot and practice. Practice turning, stopping, try to skid sideways, steering out of the skid, quick lane changes (quick is a relative term, NOTHING on snow and especially ice should be "quick").

4) Live where it suits you and you like the area. The driving will come, don't let that be a deciding factor in choosing a home for you and your family. Take into consideration the same things you would where you are at NOW in regards to gas consumption, time willing to devote to getting there and back, but don't let the threat of snow make you chose a home that isn't what you want.

5) GREAT. Sure some people will say that the roads are not cleaned quick enough, or clear enough right away, but after living in many other areas that get snow, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Maine, from East to West & top to bottom has the best snow removal I have ever seen. Name a snowy state in the lower 48 and I have spent time in the winter in it, and have been through a snow storm in it. NONE can claim truthfully to clear the roads and streets better than this one.

6) The winter opens up even more outdoor activities than you have in a state that does not get it. If this is a concern, then you must like being outside. There is a whole world of activities awaiting you all over the State of Maine in the winter. From Ice climbing to ice skating. Snowshoeing to snowmobiling. Ice fishing to ice sculpture. Snow angels and sledding are not just for the 10 and under crowd. Get out try new sports, and you will be a convert to winter. Sit cooped up in a house all winter and you will HATE the entire state in the first year.

7) Honestly, you are going to freeze the first year. No joke, you are going to think you have lost your mind the first time you are scraping your windshield when it is below freezing and the wind is whipping. But after the first year, I PROMISE it is better. Buy the best outdoor cloths you can afford. LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS! those are the 3 most important things to remember. Even cheap stuff will keep you warm if you layer. The expensive stuff just makes it easier to move around without the bulk. Good boots, good socks. Warm feet can make a cold outing much easier to do. Cold feet will ruin an otherwise great day and time.

Hope it helps. Others will chime in and give their 2 cents as well. There is a myriad of things I left out, but those are the highlights and the most important in my opinion. Add your own, help still the fears and uncertainty of the winter in Maine, to those who are considering moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Excellant post Bydand!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
You didn't mention snowmen. I'm crushed.

Each winter is the birth of a man of your own design. Now what woman could possibly turn down the prospect of building her very own man from start to finish? Why, it's a culture all it's own. It's a stepford-wife-gone-crazy kind of thing. He'll wear a scarf you always liked, but never wore. His charcoal eyes will gaze admiringly only at you, his creator, and he's great company the way he hangs on your every word without interruption. His smile never fades. He doesn't watch tv and he doesn't snore. He'll stand watch over your home all day and all night and you never have to tell him you have a headache. He'll be a great babysitter and won't mind playing dress up with all the neighborhood kids. He'll smile at all your jokes and only you will see the twinkle in his eye. Best of all, if you get lucky, he won't be jealous or even object. He'll keep you company all winter long.

He'll leave when warm weather comes, but that's OK because by then, you'll be ready for directing your conversation toward your garden and the hummingbirds.

Don't underestimate the allure of the friendly snow man. I mean, the whole town of Bethel dubbed their snowman "King."

Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Excellent thread!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,257 times
" 7)Honestly, you are going to freeze the first year. No joke, you are going to think you have lost your mind the first time you are scraping your windshield when it is below freezing and the wind is whipping. But after the first year, I PROMISE it is better. Buy the best outdoor cloths you can afford. LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS! those are the 3 most important things to remember."

I can relate to this...A single parent, I moved back to Tennessee May 1981 and bought a house...the winter of '82 was "wicked" fierce...I remember January '82 leaving work at the medical center at 5:00pm...it was dark...the wind was howling...I put the key in the lock of my chevy blazer 4X4 and it would not open...frozen...and I looked up at the sky...sleet and rain pelting my face...and I said..."why in the h... did I ever leave Florida". Oh well, and this too shall pass!....until the same month...the day temperature was -7 degrees... I get home from work and the pipes in the downstairs utility room had frozen, burst, and water had filled the downstairs den, utility room and running out the garage door when I opened it. Oh well, this too shall pass! I never got warm that winter..."central heat and air does not a warm house make". The next year I put a wood stove insert into the fireplace which had blowers on each side and it was toasty warm and I learned to dress in layers, and put away my bass loafers and bought boots. I learned to enjoy the winters of my childhood and it was a good 8 years.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Great thread!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,717 times
This is my first winter and I'M FREEZING MY *** OFF...hehehe. I love it though...love love love it.

My snowman turned into a snow blob MEnME!

Bydand...as usual...great post!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,670 times
What a great thread. I know how bad we will be freezing our first year back and I can just hear myself saying....".Heat is uncomfortable but cold is painful". I remember that line when we first came to Florida. Trying to convince myself that the terrrible heat was a good thing. I have aged 20 years and mellowed alot. Now I understand the Layers and woodstoves things I thought were a pain in the A-- are really wonderful things. I am more than ready to lug wood, bundle up and get rid of the pretty shoes and coats for the joy of living in the best place in the world. Can't wait to hear my teeth chattering and feel the tingling in my feet when I take my boots off by the woodstove.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
Can't wait to hear my teeth chattering and feel the tingling in my feet when I take my boots off by the woodstove.
I just may save this part of your post and ask you about it exactly one year from today. LOL

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
You didn't mention snowmen. I'm crushed.
Didn't even think of snowmen actually. The snow this far inland is usually light and not very high in moisture content so it isn't very packy. The Ruffians get to make a snowman about 3 times a year is all. They spend most of their time on snow forts and terrorizing the neighbor girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine