Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

Hot Cocoa with peppermint schnapps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There are LOTS of brewers in Maine now offering everything from Pale Ale to Belgian wheat beers and everything in between. A great many of these beers have won awards in one form or another. Shipyard, Grittys, and Geary's all use the same ringwood ale yeast from England so you may find the styles similar in taste. Allagash makes the phenolic, clove tasting Belgian beers that many people (including my daughter and her friends) just love. There are the clean tasting ales from Sebago Brewing, Casco Bay Brewing and a host of smaller breweries. I did an apprenticeship with Seadog Brewing under a Brewmaster from England Mike Hall. I stayed with Seadog in Camden for a few years and from there I went on to Gritty Mc Duff's as their head brewer for several years.
I have some sentimental favorites and some I truly miss as they are either no longer made or radically changed.
If you like beer Maine has it for you!
Yes, and I can't wait to try them all. I noticed how fresh that Bar Harbor Ale was that I drank, even though it was trucked down to TN. My local green grocer stocks a few different Maine beers. My boyfriend was so impressed that Maine has their own Brewer's Guild. If we keep sampling the Maine beers, maybe he'll get the call to Maine too. He definitely will if he has enough in one night. Maineh, I am honored to meet a Maine brewer.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
One of the great things about local Maine beer is that is available everywhere.
I've drank many Maine beers all the way over in Minneapolis. Funny thing, though, is that they are cheaper to purchase in Minneapolis then they are right here in Maine. 99% of the time beer is cheaper at the source. Maine makes up that 1% where for some reason it is more expensive.

Maine Root Beer is the best root beer that I have ever had. It is fairly expensive for soda (even more expensive in Minneapolis then it is in Maine, huh, go figure), but it darn tasty and worth it.

Allagash White is one of the best beers that I have ever tasted, even though it is ten bucks for a four pack

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
My old Maine cookbook has a recipe for Spruce beer. Has anyone ever tried and/or made this?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
I've tried spruce beer and have also had spruce gum. Gramp used to pull a wad of something really sticky (and gross) off a spruce tree and convince me that it was "like gum". It definitely had a spruce flavor and it certainly was chewy, but sure not like the "blackjack" or "teaberry" that was sooooo much sweeter.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
....Maine Root Beer is the best root beer that I have ever had....

K-Luv do you mean the Sea Dog Root Beer or is there one out there that I'm missing? I LOVE root beer, and if I'm missing the chance to try one I want to know!

I can do a few sips of the Moxie, but that's it. It actually really quenches my thirst on a hot summer day--but I can't drink more than a couple of ounces My Dad *loved* Moxie, it was always around when we were growing up. I haven't personally been to the Moxie Festival, but there is a group of kids from this area that travel down every year. One of them even has something about Moxie on his license plate!

BTW, can someone remind me again what's happening with Maine Roaster's?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Moxie is Maine's official beverage as enacted by the Maine Legislature and signed into law by the governor. I have been drinking it for well over 60 years. When I'm standing in front of the doors of a large cooler I'm not trying to choose from the bewildering array of beverages in there; I'm just looking for the Moxie. Nothing like it.
I am not allowed to give you any more reps until i spread the love. My fav is the grape!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM

50 posts, read 207,149 times
Quote:
Put some cider in an ice cube tray and freeze it.
Into an old fashioned or highball glass, put a dash of Angostura bitters.
Add a teaspoon of maple syrup.
Add a ****** or more of Canadian Club and stir.
Put in the cider ice cubes.
Add ginger ale to suit. I like locally made ginger ale.
Put a cherry on top for color.
Mmmm, that sounds pretty good! So what about coffee? Is there a Maine coffee, I must say I am a java addict, cannot start the day with out a cup.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Yes, and I can't wait to try them all. I noticed how fresh that Bar Harbor Ale was that I drank, even though it was trucked down to TN. My local green grocer stocks a few different Maine beers. My boyfriend was so impressed that Maine has their own Brewer's Guild. If we keep sampling the Maine beers, maybe he'll get the call to Maine too. He definitely will if he has enough in one night. Maineh, I am honored to meet a Maine brewer.
That's Former Maine brewer! It's funny you mention the Maine Brewer's Guild. I was at the first meeting held at Seadog Brewing in Camden in 1992. When my mid forties rolled around I tired of slinging 80 lb bags of grain in to the mill at 5:00 AM, shoveling 2000 lbs of wet grain every day, jumping into piping hot boilers to scrub them out, and wrestling with 160 lb kegs. Handcraft brewing is for the younger person! I recently talked to an old friend who owns Sebago Brewing and he told me I had to check out his new brewing system in Gorham. It's all state of the art stuff. Clean in place, vacuum keg lifters, automated mash tun rakes.... I wish we had that stuff when I was doing it I'd still be brewing! Do I miss it? You better believe I do! I don't miss all the visits to the chiropractor though! I still think someday I'd like to set up a small brewery like Andy Hazen has in Lincolnville. He basically does it all on his own. His beer is real good (Andrews Brewing) and he put his kids through college working from home. I'm just not sure the wife would go for me converting the barn into a brewery. Little does she know I have the welder for the stainless already!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I've drank many Maine beers all the way over in Minneapolis. Funny thing, though, is that they are cheaper to purchase in Minneapolis then they are right here in Maine. 99% of the time beer is cheaper at the source. Maine makes up that 1% where for some reason it is more expensive.

Maine Root Beer is the best root beer that I have ever had. It is fairly expensive for soda (even more expensive in Minneapolis then it is in Maine, huh, go figure), but it darn tasty and worth it.

Allagash White is one of the best beers that I have ever tasted, even though it is ten bucks for a four pack
Maine beer HAS to be distributed through one of the three distributors in the state. They tack on a handling fee. Even at the breweries they can't sell beer to you directly(legally). It's also why wine is so expensive as opposed to other states. You can't buy wine and beer over the internet in Maine unless it is a club and this limits the amount to like a sixpack or two bottles of wine a month. The yuppies in Southern Maine are trying hard to get the wine law changed. The prices on line are just too good to ignore. It won't do the rest of the state much good though I'm afraid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine