Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,159,452 times

Advertisements

tMan, some of you Mainers are tough. I'm with Sub. A garage just makes it soooo much easier.

My husband is sitting here next to me groaning just thinking about maintenance chores, which sometimes need to be done on an emergency basis in the winter, on a vehicle outside in the winter in Maine.

You guys are tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 AM

131 posts, read 144,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnights View Post
And even if it was true, it would be true for most of the northern tier states and Canada. Maine is not the Arctic, which is why it’s a challenge taking my dogsled team on a Walmart run.
we had a rough winter in idaho last year my sister in law from mexico city suggested we get a dogsled team for grocery runs lol

Old 12-17-2017, 02:14 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times
Last winter was a piece of cake in downeast Maine. I used the least wood since the winter of 2011-12. But it seems colder this year in the daytime, but not colder at night.

No mud season for me this year though since I got an asphalt driveway. I’m thinking of astroturf for the whole yard, but I’m thinking that would be horribly expensive. No mowing ever again, and no mud out there either.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 AM

747 posts, read 840,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
How do you do that?
Every car is different. With my Subaru I found a youtube video that showed how to do it. Took about 5 minutes but I remember having to get on my back and reach up behind my steering wheel.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,072 times
Garage! LOL! I spent all weekend cleaning out the off-season projects and storage just so we could get the vehicles back inside. Amazing what a clutter accrues over the course of spring, summer and fall. But without the garage, you DO need a bag of tricks to avoid the morning icy windshield and concrete mass of ice and snow accumulating on the roof and hood.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Big House Little House Back House Barn. Winter is no big deal if your ready. People survived on a lot less back then.

https://goo.gl/images/MVCdNv

Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
The remote start on my truck has a battery minder feature.
It senses if the amps drop below a certain level and will start the truck to keep the battery fully charged. Pretty neat feature. My truck is originally from Canada. Also had a block warmer.

Scared the crap out of me at first because I did not know it had this feature.
First winter I had the truck, on a really cold night the damn thing started up at like 2AM.
I sprang out of bed thinking someone was stealing it!
It has a performance exhaust so it’s very audible when running.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The remote start on my truck has a battery minder feature.
It senses if the amps drop below a certain level and will start the truck to keep the battery fully charged. Pretty neat feature. My truck is originally from Canada. Also had a block warmer.

Scared the crap out of me at first because I did not know it had this feature.
First winter I had the truck, on a really cold night the damn thing started up at like 2AM.
I sprang out of bed thinking someone was stealing it!
It has a performance exhaust so it’s very audible when running.
LOL

If you want to know what a hard winter is like go to Canada. Maine ain't so bad after I visited Quebec City a few time for the February Ice Sculptures.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
LOL

If you want to know what a hard winter is like go to Canada. Maine ain't so bad after I visited Quebec City a few time for the February Ice Sculptures.
I'm heading up to Quebec this Jan. for the first few day of the winter festival, My son and I are looking forward to it, The wife not so much.

RR

Old 12-24-2017, 02:56 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Get a tank heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine