Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Geez, Forest - Never a dull moment, huh?
Glad you and yours are OK and drying out
Always some excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
Forest, do you think your radiant floor tubing is all right? Sorry you and your family are having to go through this I do not like it when bad things happen to such good people.
I don't know.

I notched the floor-joists to hold the PEX tubing, so the PEX is sandwiched between the OSB and the joists. 18" flashing that I shaped into a 'U' in the middle to hold the PEX snug, and 8" on either side to lay flat on the OSB. then stapled up. It should hold. I think that it depends on how long the underside of the OSB was wet and if it decides to get soft.

I hope that it was not wet long enough to get soft.

So far we do not have any kind of permanent floor covering on our floors yet. working on so many things, and we just have not decided on what floor covering we want. I like the look of Terrazzo, but my Dw likes blue slate. whatever we do it will be something home-made.

After a few days with the gas fueled fire pump running in here, I got a pounding head ache from the fumes. So now that the water had lowered we have stopped trying to pump it. As the river lowers, so does the water in our basement. I can pump it out in about two hours, but in six hours it is right back to the same level. When the river is this high, the water in our basement just matches that height.

We are kind of lucky. We had four 55-gallon drums down there as a thermal-bank. They had each exploded in use, so I disconnected them. And we were removing them the day before the river rose this high. Right now those drums are each sliced in half and they are full of potting soil out in Dw's garden. Had they been in the basement, they would have been floating around and tearing up more of my plumbing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Great photos forest! I love the one with you in the kayak sitting in the doorway with a smile on your face. You should send that one to New Orleans.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 AM

444 posts, read 929,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

So far we do not have any kind of permanent floor covering on our floors yet. working on so many things, and we just have not decided on what floor covering we want. I like the look of Terrazzo, but my Dw likes blue slate. whatever we do it will be something home-made.

I love Terrazzo...they have it in the Texas State Capitol. It is so beautiful.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Txmom- very nice.

I have seen a lot of Terrazzo in Navy buildings and onboard subs [mostly in the heads].

We have also seen many Terrazzo floors, while touring ancient Greek and Roman ruins. Even up on Masada [the large mesa, overlooking the Judean wilderness and Dead Sea. Where during the First Jewish-Roman War the Roman Empire laid siege on a Jewish community.] A very nice large terrazzo floor with geometric designs remains in one of the buildings.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times
i was looking at your pics.that would suck.but atleast you have a mote for your castle. lol just kiddin.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i was looking at your pics.that would suck.but at least you have a mote for your castle. lol just kiddin.
Everything in life; must either suck or blow.

It all depends on which side of the fan you are standing on. Your perspective, if you will.

I figure the water can only stay high for a finite period of time. Then it must go down again.

As for the 'castle'; it is my castle. So I am far better situated than those without a castle. And if I were to lose it, I would build another.

horas non numero nisi serenas

Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Default God willing, the creek won't rise

Here's hoping that this rainy spell is gentle and that there is somewhere for the water to go rather than raise the river. And that my efforts today net US our castle as well. But no additional moates... <g>

Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
life is plain, simple, it is what it is.

Quote:
Everything in life; must either suck or blow.

It all depends on which side of the fan you are standing on. Your perspective, if you will.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
How goes the drying out forest?
The hens layin' again yet?
I hope things are returning to normal for you!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 PM

It was slow today.

The river is down to only 13 foot above it's bank.

We have only about 2 foot of water in our basement now, spent some time down there today picking up stuff and hanging things up to dry.

We had been expecting a large group of kids a month ago, so I had built two pens down there each capable of holding 30 kids and bottle feeding them.

We have two kids, so we had put down a layer of cardboard that we had not burned [we ended the winter with too much burnable stuff], and a layer of pine shavings.

Well after the flood, now we have wet cardboard, shavings, and oh my goodness what wonderful stuff, down there.

Had our septic lines not busted apart, it would now smell better. But then who can ask for a perfect world?

The egg production is going up, I just got an email from the Orono Farmer's Market [where I was a member last year] as they are starting their summer season now. We have so many eggs and we need to find a market. The market that we were planning on using this summer we just found out is not planning to open until fall.

I have began work on our greenhouse, and staking out where I want the first chicken tractor to go.

We have 15 chicks in our brooder and 42 eggs in our incubator scheduled to hatch 11May. So I need to put together another brooder. Then 9June another batch of chicks are scheduled to arrive via USPS [so they will need a third brooder].

This weekend we are getting together with KAF [and her hubby], StarWalker and Kevin, and starting a community garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine