Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We love you starwalker! Good luck with the bike riding! You can get a bike to fit your stature! A good bike shop can hot knife shave the foam of a seat and refit the cover to help you.
The shaved foam, lowered shocks,and the Doc Martins should have you at ground level!
I tried that on Hilda (my Silverwing was named VROOMhilda)... but lowering the seat didn't help much, as it was still wide... If I do get another bike (my priorities are VERY different now... LAND first!!) I am going for just something to putt around for fun... Hilda was my only transportation in TX and I had to compete with the cowboys in their huge pickup trucks... But most of what I see out there now -- the new stuff -- I hate.

But as the gas prices rise, so do the prices for bikes and I am a cheapskate <g>

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I tried that on Hilda (my Silverwing was named VROOMhilda)... but lowering the seat didn't help much, as it was still wide... If I do get another bike (my priorities are VERY different now... LAND first!!) I am going for just something to putt around for fun... Hilda was my only transportation in TX and I had to compete with the cowboys in their huge pickup trucks... But most of what I see out there now -- the new stuff -- I hate.

But as the gas prices rise, so do the prices for bikes and I am a cheapskate <g>
Star, I just love that you named your bike! I think we've had this discussion before in another thread, I had a 700 Shadow that I laid down more than once at a stop sign or red light. I'm a little short too and that bike was also too wide for me as well. Nice name... VROOMhilda!

Staying on topic.... I don't own a gun but have no problem with Mainers that do. <giggle>

Last edited by island mermaid; 04-23-2008 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: trying to be good...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

You'd like my Puch Moped! 100 MPG, low to the ground, no shifting and goes almost 45 MPH. My son loves it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Star, I just love that you named your bike! I think we've had this discussion before in another thread, I had a 700 Shadow that I laid down more than once at a stop sign or red light. I'm a little short too and that bike was also too wide for me as well. Nice name... VROOMhilda!

Staying on topic.... I don't own a gun but have no problem with Mainers that do. <giggle>
My DW is only 5"3" but she can ride the Truimph alone without much problem. It's a bit heavy but she can touch the ground ok on it.
And staying on topic DW knows her way around a gun too. She outshoots me when skeet shooting. I have also coached her on handling the 9mm pistol and .380 pistol. I know I wouldn't want her shooting at me! Today is her birthday by the way she's 49...and still beautiful!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I hate those stories about children getting a hold of the guns and killing themselves or friends.
Yes, that is a shame. Children in households with guns should be taught properly. I learned the proper way to handle a gun before I learned to read. There was a gun in the house, I knew where it was...but there was no mystery to cause me to want to sneak it out to examine it. I knew what it was capable of doing, and that once done, it could not be undone.

Part of the responsibility is, if you have children, you must teach them correctly. What is mysterious, taboo, has great attraction. Ordinary, mundane, not so much.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My DW is only 5"3" but she can ride the Truimph alone without much problem. It's a bit heavy but she can touch the ground ok on it.
And staying on topic DW knows her way around a gun too. She outshoots me when skeet shooting. I have also coached her on handling the 9mm pistol and .380 pistol. I know I wouldn't want her shooting at me! Today is her birthday by the way she's 49...and still beautiful!
Awwww, that was so sweet Maneah, please wish the DW a very happy birthday from me. I'll be in town next week if you guys are free, let's hook up for a quick beer somewhere between Freeport and Brunswick?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes, that is a shame. Children in households with guns should be taught properly. I learned the proper way to handle a gun before I learned to read. There was a gun in the house, I knew where it was...but there was no mystery to cause me to want to sneak it out to examine it. I knew what it was capable of doing, and that once done, it could not be undone.

Part of the responsibility is, if you have children, you must teach them correctly. What is mysterious, taboo, has great attraction. Ordinary, mundane, not so much.
I owe you reputation points for that post Zymer. Couldn't have said it any better ....thank you.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Awwww, that was so sweet Maneah, please wish the DW a very happy birthday from me. I'll be in town next week if you guys are free, let's hook up for a quick beer somewhere between Freeport and Brunswick?
Let me know!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Nope. I wouldn't want to name the guy. I think he is probably no longer living, but left that part of the state nearly twenty years ago, along with the insurance business.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Guns are tools. I have a selection of tools, in various shapes, sizes and forms.

And I spent sixteen years onboard various subs, where I occasionally wore a firearm to guard the sub while in port.

Back along the dawn of time, I was awaiting space on a flight from Clark AB in the Phillippines to anywhere in the US. While cooling my heels in the hope that I could get space, I got tasked to be a designated courier for a ton of crypto equipment bound for Travis AFB in California. I was told that only a medivac emergency in Vietnam could bump me and my cargo from that C141.

Then the question was, did I want a sidearm?

I asked what the sidearm was for, and was told that if the aircraft was forced down someplace, I could use the Smith and Wesson .38 to defend the pallet of cryto gear. I thought a nano second about being forced down on some island, and surrounded by, say angry North Korean special forces, and me and my Smith and Wesson with six rounds of wad cutters....

...and said that if anyone wanted the crypto gear after the C141 had crashed, I would help them open the crates.

In the end, after a four day trip with numerous breakdowns enroute, I off loaded the crypto gear without incident.

I own some firearms. I have a reasonable level of training for their use. I have carried them for personal protection, and it is in my opinion that 99% of the talk about firearms is just that: expulsion of hot air.

Very few people who own guns have any real understanding of how to use them, let alone when to use them. If the situation ever arose...and it is a very big IF, that they actually had to use a weapon against another human being, the emotional and psychological scars that would be left behind would likely render that person unable to function.

As a people, we watch too many tough guy films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine