Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times

Advertisements

We own one gun, a 9mm. I won't use it except as a blunt instrument as I have yet to try it on a firing range and shooting it inat my house in downtown Lebanon would cause quite a stir as we are very near the police station.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Our household has several firearms. Shotguns, rifles, and handguns. More importantly though, today we are breaking out the ol' .22's and taking them out shooting. It has been a long tough winter for my 10 year old because we haven't been able to get out and have him practice shooting his .22, today we will remedy that situation.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 AM

68 posts, read 183,766 times
The gun grabbers will tell you that because we haven't used a civilian militia for localized, domestic defense, in over 200 years, that local, civilian militias aren't needed. That's like saying, "because I haven't submitted a claim in twenty years my car insurance policy isn't needed.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emler View Post
The gun grabbers will tell you that because we haven't used a civilian militia for localized, domestic defense, in over 200 years, that local, civilian militias aren't needed. That's like saying, "because I haven't submitted a claim in twenty years my car insurance policy isn't needed.

Exactly, one of my good friends who just doesn't get it.. used the "Oh, you believe in forming militias" comment with me just yesterday with all the facetious-ness she could gather. I said that I did and our founding fathers foresaw the federal government being out of control one day and that day has been here for a while.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
We just completed 2 weeks of fabulous sunny weather down here in RI, temps in upper 60s and into 70s - in April yet! Played hooky from work this past week for a day at the range with a buddy. The club gets busy on weekends, but weekdays are the best. I brought everything that needed another sighting-in (.22, 30'06, a couple of .308s) and all my handguns (.22, .38, 9mm, .45, .44 Mag). No shotguns this time around. We burnt a lot of powder and blew a lot of brass! What a hoot! Anybody who doesn't "get his brass off" now and then is missing good, clean fun!

I am NRA Life and have an issue with that organization. Yes, they do their darndest to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. But they don't want to (or can't) see that an end run is being made around the Constitution, period. That end run is called the North American Union. You may have heard of the NAFTA Superhighway, and the Mexicans taking over the Port of KC as Mexican sovereign territory. Old news. But people are not thinking this through very well! If the USA is merged with Canada and Mexico - and I am sure that is in the plans - then our US Constitution is DOA and the 2nd Amendment with it. The gun-grabbers have met with too much resistance; that won't be the way they get our guns. Not by limiting ammo, either - too much resistance. But the NRA goes after the "noise makers" and is blind to the quiet, sneaky, invisible hands working in the background. Am I the only one who's noticed this???

Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emler View Post
"...A well regulated Militia..." NOT to be confused with the National Guard or Reserve!!!

Simply meant every able bodied male between the ages of 16 and 40, who could maneuver on command.

This is still on the books. We didn't have a standing Army for the first few years of our Country.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
"...A well regulated Militia..." NOT to be confused with the National Guard or Reserve!!!

Simply meant every able bodied male between the ages of 16 and 40, who could maneuver on command.

This is still on the books. We didn't have a standing Army for the first few years of our Country.
I'd like to own a fully automatic AR-15 or M16 but our government cannot trust it's citizens to own such firepower without 91 permits and a $200.00 license.
That's so they can make sure they hit these folks first when they confiscate our personal weapons.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We just completed 2 weeks of fabulous sunny weather down here in RI, temps in upper 60s and into 70s - in April yet! Played hooky from work this past week for a day at the range with a buddy. The club gets busy on weekends, but weekdays are the best. I brought everything that needed another sighting-in (.22, 30'06, a couple of .308s) and all my handguns (.22, .38, 9mm, .45, .44 Mag). No shotguns this time around. We burnt a lot of powder and blew a lot of brass! What a hoot! Anybody who doesn't "get his brass off" now and then is missing good, clean fun!

I am NRA Life and have an issue with that organization. Yes, they do their darndest to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. But they don't want to (or can't) see that an end run is being made around the Constitution, period. That end run is called the North American Union. You may have heard of the NAFTA Superhighway, and the Mexicans taking over the Port of KC as Mexican sovereign territory. Old news. But people are not thinking this through very well! If the USA is merged with Canada and Mexico - and I am sure that is in the plans - then our US Constitution is DOA and the 2nd Amendment with it. The gun-grabbers have met with too much resistance; that won't be the way they get our guns. Not by limiting ammo, either - too much resistance. But the NRA goes after the "noise makers" and is blind to the quiet, sneaky, invisible hands working in the background. Am I the only one who's noticed this???

We may have to agree to disagree on that one. I was a member of the NRA as was my husband. Did you know if neither the republican or democrat in a race is pro 2nd ammendment, that they refuse to endorse anyone in the race.

In Ohio we had a very viable Libertarian running for US Senate and they acted as if he didn't exist. Instead in their publication they send out prior to election day, they stated no one endorsed for this race. Sad.. but true. We cut up our cards and mailed them back.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
We may have to agree to disagree on that one. I was a member of the NRA as was my husband. Did you know if neither the republican or democrat in a race is pro 2nd ammendment, that they refuse to endorse anyone in the race.

In Ohio we had a very viable Libertarian running for US Senate and they acted as if he didn't exist. Instead in their publication they send out prior to election day, they stated no one endorsed for this race. Sad.. but true. We cut up our cards and mailed them back.
You can't just blame the NRA for not seeing the ridiculous way this primary season has gone. Even the great pontificator Rush Limbaugh was caught off gaurd by the press and media hurtling McCain into the front. The Media did this as they felt McCain was the closest thing to a Democrat for their tastes should he win,but more likely he was beatable by the Democrat who ever that ends up being. Any of the rest of us who had conservative values were left scratching our heads. The NRA has come out against McCain in the past for his anti gun stance. They can't turn around and support him just because he becomes the likely Republican nominee. None of the rest of the candidates made it far enough in the primaries for the NRA to throw their support behind. The NRA is not going to offend it's base supporters by supporting a Libertarian thus stepping on the Republican candidate's toes. The NRA took a wait and see attitude like everyone else and as it turned out there was no one to support in the end. I agree with the NRA in this situation and will not be voting for a Presidential candidate this fall. McCain in my view is NOT better than nothing.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM

I counted my guns last night. Fifteen total. Eleven shotguns and rifles and four handguns....not nearly enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine