Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 5,067 times

Advertisements

Considering the move to Dover-Foxtrot from Western NC. Are there a lot of tourists that like to go up there or is most of it down in the coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 02:38 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter enjoyer View Post
Considering the move to Dover-Foxtrot from Western NC. Are there a lot of tourists that like to go up there or is most of it down in the coast?

You get them but not in overwhelming numbers. Nothing at all like the coast.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:13 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
At least what I think of as major tourist destinations would be the coast from Kittery up to Bar Harbor, then a few well known lakes like the Rangeley Lakes (a small group), Moosehead Lake, and Sebago Lake

There are also certainly visitors to the coast north/east of Bar Harbor, to Baxter State Park/Mt Katahdin, Grand Lake Stream, the Allagash River and to other of the many lakes in the state, but as massnative71 notes, not in the kind of numbers you get to these other places named first.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:08 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter enjoyer View Post
I hope you have a sense of humor. The foxtrot is a dance. Dover-Foxcroft

Regarding numbers... I heard a recent report that visitors total to Acadia for 2021 is close to 4 million. I used to visit Bar Harbor and Acadia frequently when total visitors were less than 2 million per year. Imo it has become unmanageable and chaotic.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:35 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I think different parts of Maine see different kinds of tourists.

When we first moved to Maine, my wife was able to transfer her job from where we were before, to Bangor. At her workplace, all of her co-workers had 'camp's. Many of them invited her to go visit their camps. For the most part, my wife declined their offers, because we built a farmhouse in an unorganized township where it is very rural. She felt that we live 'at camp'. But for her co-workers they all owned homes and lived 'in town'. For them, it was very enjoyable to get away for the weekends.

Here in our township, maybe a third of the land parcels have a fulltime residence on them. The remaining two-thirds are owned by non-resident people. Some of them come up to fish, some come here to hunt. Some may have a one-room cabin, or a pop-up camper. Or some have nothing at all on their land.

In living here fifteen years, I have met some of these non-resident people. They tend to live around Portland. They come up here on long weekends to go camping.

In our township we do not see many out-of-state tourists. Most of the tourists that we see are fellow Mainers.

Some summers, I will see guys with a backpack hitch-hiking, and I give them rides. Every time it is a young adult who has relatives that own land up here. They want to spend the summer alone. So they hike in carrying 40-pounds of food. A month later they will hike out to go get more food, and return.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:01 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Is a person who owns a house for example in Ellsworth and also owns a camp at (example) Georges Pond in Franklin really a tourist when he/she stays at the camp for a period of time (could be weekends; could be all summer, etc.)? To me, the answer is no.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Is a person who owns a house for example in Ellsworth and also owns a camp at (example) Georges Pond in Franklin really a tourist when he/she stays at the camp for a period of time (could be weekends; could be all summer, etc.)? To me, the answer is no.
I agree, no. I have summer/seasonal people and tourists come into work. Tourists are passing through for a short time. The others are here for long(er) stretches and establish relationships in the community.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that. This couple I know has a camp 2 miles down the road from their fulltime residence. Only in Maine

Old 12-20-2021, 09:36 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
If you do not want to call them 'tourists', fine.

They come from away, do you call them 'flatlanders'? Of just 'from away'?

Old 12-20-2021, 03:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Salem’s lot has very few tourists!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine