Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,697,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Question for anyone - how can I search for a certain member ID to see what forum they typically post to? Or is that even possible?
Had to hunt for this a little:

Up at the Top of the page, click on Search and then Advanced Search. Then type in a user name in the right hand column. Click on Search Now. Then find a post in the list so you can click on the user name and select View Public Profile. Then click on Statistics and look at the bottom for Top Forums.

It's not perfect, but it does provide a lot of information. For example, the user that started two threads, with NEWS about the Black Frog hasn't posted enough in the State forums for them to show up on his list. On the other hand, you can quickly tell where a person makes most of the postings.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,431,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Star,
That rabbit manure is the best stuff you can get. We raised rabbits for years and used it in our gardens. Are you aware that you can use it fresh from the bunny, so to speak? It doesn't need to age. I made manure "tea" with it and used that on my houseplants.
Now that just turns my stomach! Manure and Tea just can't coexist in the same sentence, Alison! I think my best bet will be well-aged fertilizer that has lost some of it's odor. I'm very sensitive to smells. I guess Miracle Grow is out of the question when growing produce?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,110,172 times
hmmm.... out of those candy choices I'd be a Hershey's, but I look for Bit O Honey's first

Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Now that just turns my stomach! Manure and Tea just can't coexist in the same sentence, Alison! I think my best bet will be well-aged fertilizer that has lost some of it's odor. I'm very sensitive to smells. I guess Miracle Grow is out of the question when growing produce?
Bunny poo doesn't have a strong smell as long as it isn't urine soaked. If it's urine soaked it should be aged, composted or used in a tea because urine is high in nitrogen. Nitrogen is needed for plant growth but too much of it will literally burn the plants, sometimes killing them.

Miracle Grow feeds the plant but it doesn't do anything good for the soil. Healthy soil grows healthy plants. Adding compost, organic matter (grass clippings, leaves for example) feeds the microherd (the living organisms that break down the organic matter into usable forms) which work to improve the soil. Then you don't need the bright blue stuff. But - millions of people use it and don't give it a second thought. It's all in what you want to eat and how you want to grow that food.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,391,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
omg you guys!!

I'm with Bewitched, wiping coffee off my nose and chin!!

Well, you know how you have good jammie bottoms that you don't mind if anyone sees you in, and the jammies bottoms that can be downright embarassing? I managed to drive to the garage with DH and drop off the blue Jeep, and stand in the garage getting the garbage ready to go to the end of the driveway *without* being spotted in the scooby jammie bottoms... Must mean it's going to be a good day!!

And, I have pumpkin flavored coffee

NOW if I could only whine/convince/beg enough to get a CERTAIN SOMEONE to go to the lunch on Saturday, all would be perfect!!
I have jammies with sock monkeys, moons and stars on them.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 AM

I think it's best to grow it with no chemicles. I've never had a compost pile of my own, but I've seen them a lot on HGTV and have read a good bit about them. That's definitely on my list! There have been many times I've wished for a compost bin so we don't throw away so much perfectly good natural material that should go back into the earth. Watching the garbage truck haul off 10 bags of leaves just feels wrong!

We prefer everything as natural as possible. I was teasing about the MG!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Great mail day! I just got my vintage bottle of Coco Chanel (beautiful bottle) and my first issue of The Quoddy Tides!!! So I'll smell lovely while sitting reading the news.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Star,
That rabbit manure is the best stuff you can get. We raised rabbits for years and used it in our gardens. Are you aware that you can use it fresh from the bunny, so to speak? It doesn't need to age. I made manure "tea" with it and used that on my houseplants.
yep, I have raised rabbits... I have been known to use goat droppings straight on the garden too...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,554,457 times
Ten bags of leaves? In the trash? I think I'm going to hyperventilate! I never have enough leaves!

If I were shopping for a compost bin I'd buy one that turns rather than one I had to turn manually. I'd be more likely to turn the bin on a regular basis than I do a pile.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Yep, it's an awful sight! But in town, burning isn't allowed, and there aren't many gardens within the city, so all over town, you see rows and rows of big black bags waiting for the trash men to haul them away. Sacrilege, I know! It always makes me feel so guilty to waste those natural resources just because we live in the wrong place.

I just wasn't cut out for this lifestyle. I've known it since I was young. Change is on the way. I'll be HOME where I belong soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine