Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 AM

300 posts, read 758,027 times

Advertisements

Good information folks :-) I wouldn't mind being 10 minutes from the crossing point into Canada (work), so a little bit of a commute wouldn't bother me. Could one purchase something new or recently remodeled, and energy efficient, for that kind of price (42000)? I don't want to buy something and spend 6000 a year to heat cool and constantly fix it :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

33 posts, read 87,416 times
Red face Housing prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
How about housing prices? I've looked on the MLS, and there are about 50 properties in Calais, does anyone know what a new build-either stick built or modular would go for about 1900 sf on maybe 1/4 acre? Any input you may have is much appreciated :-)
You may want to look into buying a land lot then putting your own modular on it. There are many fixer-uppers in town. Finished homes you should be able to get a really nice one for $150-250 but they may be a bit large/old to heat. You should visit the area to check it out. We don't have rental agents in the area so you need to buy the paper to look. There is a home for $800 per month this week...no utilities...here that means you have to even pay the water/sewer bill so you need to add it up...heat...4.09 per gallon, electric .19 per kw hr, water qtr, sewer, trash, plowing etc. I'd advise renting 15 miles out of town on private water/sewer. Depends totally on what your budget is and what you're looking for. Good luck it fun here!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM

33 posts, read 87,416 times
Quote:
Good information folks :-) I wouldn't mind being 10 minutes from the crossing point into Canada (work), so a little bit of a commute wouldn't bother me. Could one purchase something new or recently remodeled, and energy efficient, for that kind of price (42000)? I don't want to buy something and spend 6000 a year to heat cool and constantly fix it :-)

no you can't buy for 42k and spend less than 6k per year to heat...unless you want to live in squaler. The cheap homes need 50K worth of work and it cost more than 6k to heat even fixed for these older homes. A modular home is much more energy efficient as they use state of the art engineering software in their design. You may only use 2 tanks of oil w/ a newer home.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Utilities on rentals do not include a water/sewarage bill, that is paid by the owner and is part of the rent as are taxes. Electric, Heat, Phone, Cable are utilities that a renter pays normally. I have seen some cute homes in Calais and Eastport for sale for under 125k. One I was quite interested in would be great for a family as it's close to the school.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I was thinking that a modular on my own lot would work; does anyone know the cost of putting a modular up per sf? Does anyone know any of the reputable builders in the area?

I am flying up to the area in two weeks to get a good look, I guess I will look for rentals in the paper then. I tried in the Bangor Daily news but there weren't any in there.

I sure hope the people in the area are as nice and helpful as you folks :-)

Old 08-23-2008, 06:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
A few people in our area have gone with the modulars.... a company out of Ellsworth and a company out of New Brunswick are the most popular ones for people around here. Let me make a couple of calls and I can DM you around Monday with the company names. I also know of some lots for sale, I'll see if there's a website for that. Something to keep in mind is that many of the people you may possibly be working with has been in the same position as you, so you will have a wealth of information to tap into there as well.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
A few people in our area have gone with the modulars.... a company out of Ellsworth and a company out of New Brunswick are the most popular ones for people around here. Let me make a couple of calls and I can DM you around Monday with the company names. I also know of some lots for sale, I'll see if there's a website for that. Something to keep in mind is that many of the people you may possibly be working with has been in the same position as you, so you will have a wealth of information to tap into there as well.
Molly, I'm thinking Kent Homes? They are built well.
Finding land, and possble well dig and slab still will cost over 42.00 for sure, but there is no fixin' up.
The thing about fixer uppers... they are costs per year to do. Alittle at a time I suppose. Our house was a lucky find. I know I am blessed with this home. The only down to ours.. is land scaping. but most agree that landscaping is one of those alittle a year. We did the front yard first... We hope to really get started on the back next year.
I hope Molly can get some information of you.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Thank you for the continuing information; it is my hope that I can put up a very nice modular for not much more than 100, which would be especially good if I can avoid the extra utility costs associated with an older home. I can go higher, but I don't want to :-) The area looks quite beautiful, and I will be visiting there in 2 weeks. If possible, I would love to get information about any builders that may be in that area or Bangor :-)

Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
My brother in Dover is having a 1500+sf modular built on our property there. The slab, well, septic, etc. was about $25k. The total cost for him will be under $90k but he didn't have to pay for the nice one acre lot that we divided for him. So the $100k figure is totally possible. I believe his PITI is under $700. a month. In our county, they require extra insulation when building and I believe he even added to that. He'll be heating w/oil and a pellet stove. They pay for his oil the first year as an incentive. He bought his here in Winslow near Waterville. Pine View Homes, Inc.

I plan to start building a small cabin for me on another lot there. With room for two more cabins at a later date. A couple destination getaway cabins for all my BMW motorcycling acquaintances from out west in addition to availability through a website. Each year that I visit, I get closer to starting this project. I'm using my brother as a guinea pig to find out what the process will be for me.

Oh, and my sister just bought me/us a red Kawasaki Mule Utility Vehicle (UV) to get around on. She is using it daily and can't believe how usefull and fun it is. We're right off the rail bed trail so it's convenient for us to ride it to town which is just over 2 miles away. She told me that she rode it out to the covered bridge for the first time. Having a blast with it.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Thank you for the continuing information; it is my hope that I can put up a very nice modular for not much more than 100, which would be especially good if I can avoid the extra utility costs associated with an older home. I can go higher, but I don't want to :-) The area looks quite beautiful, and I will be visiting there in 2 weeks. If possible, I would love to get information about any builders that may be in that area or Bangor :-)
If my any chance you find a good builder... Dm me I would love to find one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine