Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

The planet changes, weather changes, we change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
I've heard we might get a reversion to the norm this winter because the sunspot cycle is at an all-time low -- meaning none at all lately. The folks who watch that indicator are predicting a colder than normal winter starting early and staying late.

Here in the midcoast we used to see first frost in the fall in mid September back in the 1980s. Lately we've gone as late as Halloween without a killing frost.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM

67 posts, read 212,866 times
To be honest, us humans.... are destroying the earth every day. and every day we do more damages. Which causes the earth to change. I remember back in the days things seemed great, but looking at the earth now, seemed like it had dramatically changed.

maine used to be wilderness state and i remember having all kinds of trails at my old home. Now it's just houses and houses and more roads..... population is growing fast, overcoming and overcrowding the lands. it's just so depressing to see it happen every day, yet we still do it and more damages are done to the earth.

I foresee that we will encounter another era of ice age then here comes stone age.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvet4dog View Post
maine used to be wilderness state and i remember having all kinds of trails at my old home. Now it's just houses and houses and more roads..... population is growing fast, overcoming and overcrowding the lands. it's just so depressing to see it happen every day, yet we still do it and more damages are done to the earth.
You need to get out and see most of Maine. Most of it is still wilderness.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You need to get out and see most of Maine. Most of it is still wilderness.
infact i do much as possible. in vassalboro and gardiner area, i travel those areas every day. Far as i have seen, i've seen hundreds of houses, streets, roads has been put up or still building. Meanwhile there are a tremendous amount of clear cutting and it just saddens me. Seems like it is moving gradually up north, before you know it towns like moose head, bingham or what not will become large city like portland or something large....

population grows, causes demands for houses, roads to be built. But the same time, we are poluiting the wildlife in general. But then again, most of the north eastern states are polluting maine pretty bad. If you didnt know, most of the pollution is from factories, trucks.....

Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
infact i do much as possible. in vassalboro and gardiner area, i travel those areas every day. Far as i have seen, i've seen hundreds of houses, streets, roads has been put up or still building. Meanwhile there are a tremendous amount of clear cutting and it just saddens me. Seems like it is moving gradually up north, before you know it towns like moose head, bingham or what not will become large city like portland or something large....

population grows, causes demands for houses, roads to be built. But the same time, we are poluiting the wildlife in general. But then again, most of the north eastern states are polluting maine pretty bad. If you didnt know, most of the pollution is from factories, trucks.....
first off moose head isnt a town its a lake and second bingham will never be as big as portland.not in my life time nore my childrens lifetime.maine still has a vast area of wilderness that most people have never seen.take a drive up rt.201 to jackman and on to the border.or once you get in to jackman take rt.6 to rockwood miles and miles of wilderness.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
infact i do much as possible. in vassalboro and gardiner area, i travel those areas every day.
That's a very small area. That area isn't like most of Maine. MOST of Maine is forested. The amount of forest increases yearly.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM

what i ment maine writer was that i camp ALOT and i do travel up north alot. I didnt mean that i visit vassalboro just to see how forrested it is in maine. I work in augusta and i commuite in these towns alot every day. My bad on my part, i phrased it wrong. sorry.

in case you hadnt known, i work at TRC in the environmental science department. I'm a GIS technician (geographic information system) i work with maps every day. Over the years, i've seen some progress of houses being build around town and i've seen quite a bit of changes where housing are being located. From my observation, it's heading up north / west a bit. There are some going up in the eastern part of maine aswell. It doesnt seem large at first but, in the long run you'll be like "wow, what happened here?"

this summer, two of my buddies and my trails (atv, snowmobile) were cut off by builders and land scapers. Really pisses most of us because its the only best trail we have been riding since we were little.

anyways, all im saying is that i've been seeing lots of clear cutting going on and numerous of buildings being put up along with roads. And i dont even know why i'm talking this in the climate changes thread hehehe. anyways i'm out before i steal this thread, i dont mean any arguements or anything.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
... we are poluiting the wildlife in general. But then again, most of the north eastern states are polluting maine pretty bad. If you didnt know, most of the pollution is from factories, trucks.....
Pollution from factories is polluting wildlife?

In Maine?

How many factories are in Maine? Pollution belching factories?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
this summer, two of my buddies and my trails (atv, snowmobile) were cut off by builders and land scapers. Really pisses most of us because its the only best trail we have been riding since we were little. ....
Most of Maine is unorganized, and controlled by LURC.

LURC has a new CLEP which restricts ATVs and Snowmobiles according to their policy they will be cleansing all of Maine of petro-fueled off-road vehicles.

So if a private land owner does restrict trail use on his property, it is a fairly small matter, since it will all be illegal soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine