Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM

44 posts, read 102,036 times

Advertisements

While looking at houses here in the Phippsburg/Georgetown/Woolwich area, I got interested in maybe buying land and building a very small house. I rent a 468 sf house for now; pretty doable for one with no pets.

I found a bunch of websites about what's called the tiny house movement for houses under 500 square feet (tumbleweed.com, for one). Although the 120 sf houses on those sites are too small (year round cabin fever?), I'd like to know if anyone here lives in or has a space less than 500 sf they've built, what your experience was and your recommendations might be. Anyone considering building a very small house?

Photos would be great too ...

And I just want to add for Thanksgiving appreciation how good and generous the regular posters of this Maine forum are. While we're all heat challenged this winter, this forum is a great way to stay warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
LOL! I was browsing Due East Realty's website earlier. I was wondering how the heck they get 3 bedrooms into a 900 sq ft house! WHAT?? I guess you have room to walk in, turn around, and walk back out again. I wouldn't be able to breathe!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,297 times
I have a small house but not that small more like 1100 sq ft not counting the cellar. There is 4 of us and all of the dogs. I was looking on the tumble weed site not to long ago and they have some nice stuff, and as far as buying some land, that is never a bad idea imo, put your rent money to work for you not your landlord. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
I've seen smelt shacks bigger than 468 square feet!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,278 times
Default Tiny homes

We have been looking at the Tumbleweeds website too.

There's also a website called Resources for Life/mobile hermitage, and somewhere within that website there is a link to an article about a Maine family (near Bangor, I think) that built a very small, efficient home. It was great to read about the thought that went into it.

The tiny cabin/office on wheels intrigues us.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I've seen smelt shacks bigger than 468 square feet!
And I have seen a house smaller than that -- lived in by a bachelor, kept neat as a pin.

The smallest house I have lived in was 256 sq ft -- that is counting the loft and I had a roomie, too.

Next smallest was 480, two story sort of... the second floor had no hip walls (was the sleeping area) and my family of 6 turned to a family of 7 while living there. For several weeks we took in a family of 4 when they needed to leave an abusive situation and it was wall-to-wall sleeping bags, believe me! Actually our first home was 480 sq ft as well, but the first one did have a hip wall on the second story loft. That was one I designed and built (part of 3 person crew consisting of my hubby, who had all but flunked Jr. high wood shop and my dad, who was undergoing chemo at the time.)

Third smallest was initially 384, but I added two rooms upstairs making it a spacious 540. There were only two of us living there at that time.

When living in small spaces, I don't do rooms... but divide the space up functionally in other ways.

No wonder this trailer seems roomy! LOL

Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,036 times
In the early 1950s my parents purchased a new home that was 900 sq. feet. They raised four children in it for many years. For that time, it was an average sized home, they had no problems with it. It's all what you get used to I guess. My home is twice that size, I can't figure out where to put everything! ( the lack of a "real" attic doesn't help, and no basement either!)

Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
Personally, I think "house size inflation" is a terrible shame, especially as the typical family is getting smaller. So much of the space in many houses I have seen is seldom used or just plain wasted, due to lack of design planning.
  • Lack of basement/attic and storage space in the living quarters...
    More costly to heat
    More rooms to be lit (and for lights and other devices to be left ON in
    etc etc

Call me an old codger (wouldn't be far from the truth!) but I think larger homes are not helping build strong families either. After supper (if we even have family supper any more) everyone goes off to their own cave to do whatever... no interaction, no learning by osmosis from one another, no learning how to work together and share space...

Heck, I know families that IM each other on the computers when they are all under the same ROOF!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Hill View Mini Barns, Storage Sheds, Garages, Camps, and Cottages can set you up with an economical building. I bought a 10 by 20 for a storage building at camp. I saw one delivered that is 14 by 40, insulated underneath and all walls, wired and completely livable. They are delivered and set up level on your lot.

Wish I could post a picture, but here's a link to that very building:

http://www.hillviewminibarns.com/Ima...rner_porch.jpg

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 AM

33 posts, read 101,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Personally, I think "house size inflation" is a terrible shame, especially as the typical family is getting smaller. So much of the space in many houses I have seen is seldom used or just plain wasted, due to lack of design planning.
  • Lack of basement/attic and storage space in the living quarters...
    More costly to heat
    More rooms to be lit (and for lights and other devices to be left ON in
    etc etc

Call me an old codger (wouldn't be far from the truth!) but I think larger homes are not helping build strong families either. After supper (if we even have family supper any more) everyone goes off to their own cave to do whatever... no interaction, no learning by osmosis from one another, no learning how to work together and share space...

Heck, I know families that IM each other on the computers when they are all under the same ROOF!
I agree. "Contemporary" home designs have sitting and entertainment spaces inside the master bedroom--one more place to hang a TV and escape the children!

I really enjoyed the Tumbleweed website. I hadn't heard of this before. The proprietor seemed to me like a modern-day Thoreau, at least with this philosophy on economy of personal space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: