Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
shoveling suxxxxxxx.last year was the worst in many years.i wore out two shovels and a back.
At least you will be able to replace the shovels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Man... I want to see how much you LOVE snow after you've shoveled it for a while! The prettiness wears off quickly after the first 12 inches.
for some... not for everyone. I still love the stuff and enjoy shoveling. And, surprising to me, I am not stiff and sore today after clearing the drive yesterday and looking forward to those snowshoes after I get back from Dover-Foxcroft and Bangor running today.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,561 times
I only got a little bit of snowshoeing done yesterday in order to pack down the snow in front of the house and be able to get the ladder up to the roof to shovel it off..... I"m hoping for today. Have to open my my uncles dooryard first... he slipped the other day and hurt his back...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
for some... not for everyone. I still love the stuff and enjoy shoveling....

me too!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
I used to find a sense of completion and accomplishment after shoveling. I remember as a kid our Dad had one of those big wide box type of shovels. I can't remember for the life of me what it used to be called. It was more of a snow scoop than a shovel, you never picked up the snow, but just pushed it out to the end of the driveway for the street plow to push away. We never had a plow guy, my parents had 4 kids! We did all of the shoveling. I don't remember hating it or resenting have to do it. I wasn't ever traumatized by doing it.

I remember when Dad went out and bought his first snow blower. We weren't allowed near his new toy until the newness wore off and we were given proper instructions regarding how dangerous it could be if it wasn't used improperly. One wrong move and "we could lose a hand!"

Snowblowers are wonderful tools however, shovels will always be needed. Decks, porches, steps and some walkways (especially crushed stone) still need to be shoveled. In the end, a good snowblower, a decent ergonomic shovel and a plow guy (esp. if your driveway is 1/4 mile long) are all pretty useful.

As an adult I still found solace in shoveling those areas at night. It was quiet and dark, very peaceful.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
I only got a little bit of snowshoeing done yesterday in order to pack down the snow in front of the house and be able to get the ladder up to the roof to shovel it off..... I"m hoping for today. Have to open my my uncles dooryard first... he slipped the other day and hurt his back...
I hope he is ok, I feel for you Garlic, I spent a good 80 hours on the roofs at my place and we have been snow free for the most part for the last 10 to 15 days, so its been recoop time and they are calling for a lot of snow this week end, but I stay in Seattle m-f now and weekends back in Deer Park, (300 miles one way is long drive every day) so I may have to shovel all week end and drive back sunday after that. But it is better the a poke in the eye with a sharp stick eh?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,942 times
I always find solace while sitting on my couch watching the plow guy through the window while drinking a hot cup of coffee and feeling bad that he is out in the storm.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
I always find solace while sitting on my couch watching the plow guy through the window while drinking a hot cup of coffee and feeling bad that he is out in the storm.
We live to far from the road to see the 'plow guy'.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
I resemble that remark!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I can understand the joy of sitting by a window, wrapped in a blanket, sipping coffee, while watching a plow guy clear the street for you. I can see that very easily.

With this past couple flurries I get enjoyment from driving a tractor scooping up that snow from the driveway and dumping it in piles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine