Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 AM

254 posts, read 1,183,516 times

Advertisements

Molly, those pictures are great! Jasper Beach was always one of my favorite places to go as a kid. It was such an adventure, packing up a picnic with my grandmother's awful sandwiches that she always would put butter on, no matter what, and the beach was just so different from our little patch of sand. My sister and I looked forward to it every summer, and it seemed like it took FOREVER to get there from our cottage at Roque Bluffs. Maybe with my grandfather driving, it did. You've brought back a wonderful memory for me.

I can't wait to get back there this summer. My 2 year old loves rocks. He is going to go crazy there. Crazy!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
God I lived in Corinna for years smelling the wonderful odors of Eastland Woolen Mill and decades later the entire site became a super fund cleanup site from all the toxins and poisons. Thank god my kid wasn't born with a 3rd arm and I don't have cancer ..... yet. I see property for sale that was close to the old mill site and would feel less safe buying a house there than next to a military target. Again just my 2 cents.
Here's a link for Maine Superfund Sites. These may be good places to avoid when searching for your dream home. Many of them have been cleaned up though not being the trusting sort I'd still think twice before investing in a former toxic site. Your results may vary.
Maine Superfund Sites

Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Here's a link for Maine Superfund Sites. These may be good places to avoid when searching for your dream home. Many of them have been cleaned up though not being the trusting sort I'd still think twice before investing in a former toxic site. Your results may vary.
Maine Superfund Sites
There are more.

For example the 'LORING AIR FORCE BASE' clean-up

EPA ID #: ME9570024522

Includes sites which are 'connected' to Loring, but not near Loring.

It is my understanding that since the Air Force has used their assets to address many areas of contamination the EPA simply did not class it as 'super-fund'.

A total of 54 sites were identified as needing clean-up.

The Air Force identified petroleum contamination at two of the pump stations along the 200 mile pipeline, which runs from Searsport, Maine to Loring. The Argyle pump station is currently under-going in-site treatment using soil vapor extraction. Contaminated soil from the Mattawamkeg pump station was excavated and treated off-site. Additional contamination remaining at the Mattawamkeg pump station is currently being treated using in-site oxygen curtain technology.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There are more.

For example the 'LORING AIR FORCE BASE' clean-up

EPA ID #: ME9570024522

Includes sites which are 'connected' to Loring, but not near Loring.

It is my understanding that since the Air Force has used their assets to address many areas of contamination the EPA simply did not class it as 'super-fund'.

A total of 54 sites were identified as needing clean-up.

The Air Force identified petroleum contamination at two of the pump stations along the 200 mile pipeline, which runs from Searsport, Maine to Loring. The Argyle pump station is currently under-going in-site treatment using soil vapor extraction. Contaminated soil from the Mattawamkeg pump station was excavated and treated off-site. Additional contamination remaining at the Mattawamkeg pump station is currently being treated using in-site oxygen curtain technology.
There are many others associated with Brunswick Naval Air Station too. There hasn't been a full list developed yet though some of the off site dumps have been quietly cleaned up over the last few years. There may be an upside to living near the VLF Antenna Farm, you could just hang your Thanksgiving turkey out on a clothesline to cook it!

Last edited by Maineah; 04-04-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Mainah says;
"That beach is beautiful mollysmiles thanks for the links."

And the beach rattles when there is a good surf up. Maine is the only place I know where some of the beaches rattle.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Mainah says;

And the beach rattles when there is a good surf up. Maine is the only place I know where some of the beaches rattle.
The sand rattles in Arizona...and bites too!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Mainah says;

YES!! I love that! There is a section at West Quoddy Head, and a nice spot at Schoodic where you can get the same effect if you hit the tide just right! It's wonderful! DH laughs at me because I could just stay right there and listen, and if he doesn't hear it right away I do the "listen, listen....shhh.....did you hear that one?!" Now the one at West Quoddy sounds different than the ones at Jasper and Schoodic--the rock is a lot smaller at West Quoddy.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Yoho Head is a pretty area. I did some surveying there right out of school.

As for a nuke strike, I think that the fallout from targets farter west might be more of a problem. The radiation from a cell phone held to the ear is probably as dangerous as the vlf.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Yoho Head is a pretty area. I did some surveying there right out of school.

As for a nuke strike, I think that the fallout from targets farter west might be more of a problem. The radiation from a cell phone held to the ear is probably as dangerous as the vlf.
I wish I had never mentioned the nuclear target aspect of this area because as I had feared most of you are not getting it and ignoring the real monster in all of this. The VLF antenna farm puts out cancer causing radiation all day everyday NOW, so the nuke strike should be the least of your worries. The place is harmful and if you are not informed enough to look into the real dangers of the existing antenna farm you may pay much more for your dream home than just the money. It is a dangerous place to live and if you choose to ignore this reality you do so at your own peril.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I'm still surprised we got this far in the thread without Point LePreau being mentioned....usually for us down here when an act of terrorism is mentioned that's the first place we think of, not that Cutler isn't a big deal, but I'm sure you can see the difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine