Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 PM

41 posts, read 74,119 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why so high a concentration of homes currently listed for sale in Eastport ME? Did something close down? Some sort of demographic reason? Can anyone shed any insight on this? While it can be good for buyers, in terms of cost, I just wonder if something has happened - politically, economically, or due to weather - that is causing such high housing inventory.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
Have you been to Eastport? It's a cute little town, but it's out there.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Bangorme.... but it's always been out there :-) Did something change to make it more isolated? Or are folks aging out? Need better medical services somewhere else? Just has a huge number of homes for sale per sq mile

Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Trying to make a buck.

It does look like the whole town is for sale. I like to tease the in-laws for living on millionaires row. Almost all the houses within spittin' distance have been for sale the last few years. From as high as 450.000 to the current 199,000.

The houses don't sell because they are all overpriced.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Most of the homes have been on the market for years, every time my wife and I go we walk every street and look over what is available and 95% are the same ones that were for sale on our last trip.

Another factor is the outrageous asking prices some people think they will get, in a town where there are few jobs that do not pay much they are priced out of the market, I guess they think a Massachusetts millionaire will come along and hand them a $250,000 check for a summer home. My aunt sold my grandparents old house on Water St for $40,000 in 2001, it is currently listed for $210,000. (The house did have the foundation replaced in 2007)

Also, many of the houses have fallen into serious disrepair and will need considerable expensive rehabilitation in order to be in liveable condition, in many cases the repair costs exceed what they could realistically resell the house for. It's sad because Eastport was not like this when I was a kid but it is nice to see a few of these places being fixed up though, but this one will probably fall in on itself someday.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Most of the homes have been on the market for years, every time my wife and I go we walk every street and look over what is available and 95% are the same ones that were for sale on our last trip.

Another factor is the outrageous asking prices some people think they will get, in a town where there are few jobs that do not pay much they are priced out of the market, I guess they think a Massachusetts millionaire will come along and hand them a $250,000 check for a summer home. My aunt sold my grandparents old house on Water St for $40,000 in 2001, it is currently listed for $210,000. (The house did have the foundation replaced in 2007)

Also, many of the houses have fallen into serious disrepair and will need considerable expensive rehabilitation in order to be in liveable condition, in many cases the repair costs exceed what they could realistically resell the house for. It's sad because Eastport was not like this when I was a kid but it is nice to see a few of these places being fixed up though, but this one will probably fall in on itself someday.
As tinbender would say.... TLC

Torch, level, and clean up

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
As tinbender would say.... TLC

Torch, level, and clean up
Yep. I could see him saying that, also noticed the chowder house (cannery to the old timers) happy crab and new friendly restaurant are for sale too.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to visiting the area in a month or so. I live in the most rural part of Maryland's Eastern Shore, and enjoy all things outdoors. But, it's too darn hot here. Hubby's from upstate New York (another area with job problems), and while we've loved previous visits to Maine, we've not been this far north. I just couldn't reconcile all the for sale signs with what seemed to be a pretty stable area??? The latest news from that area is mainly focused on nursing home closures, which can really disrupt lives for the caregivers.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM

If you do make it out to Downeast Maine I am sure you will enjoy it, especially if you want to get away from the large crowds of tourists. I have more pics of Eastport posted in the Maine Photo thread and a few in the "Blue Collar Vacationland" thread. There is an "Eastport Photos" thread buried somewhere but you can find it with the search feature.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,992 times
I've never been to Eastport, but I love statistics and I have access to some, so I'll share. There were 13 single family homes sold in Eastport over the last 12 months, there are 85 on the market now. It would take 78 months (6.5 years) to go through that inventory. A balanced market is 6 months. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine