Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times

Advertisements

"house falls down, becomes a field, then becomes a forest."

There is a name for this. It's called rural cleansing and it is entirely intentional. It's like ethnic cleansing in other places, but with a lower body count.

"How do you tell which towns make it, and which go to seed."

The towns that make it are the ones with freedom, such as no zoning and viable economic opportunity. It's a town where you come in with a business plan, building permit application or subdivision application and they shake your hand and ask what they can do to help. It takes a little digging and you need to dig a lot deeper than seeing a photo on a web site.

Just last weekend I gave presentations on this subject in Houlton and Presque Isle. Many people who live right here do not understand why these things are happening. When they learn that it is all intentional and written down they are amazed. When they learn who did this to us, they are amazed. Then they begin to ask why their legislators in Augusta don't do something about it and they are amazed at the reason it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"house falls down, becomes a field, then becomes a forest."

There is a name for this. It's called rural cleansing and it is entirely intentional. It's like ethnic cleansing in other places, but with a lower body count.

"How do you tell which towns make it, and which go to seed."

The towns that make it are the ones with freedom, such as no zoning and viable economic opportunity. It's a town where you come in with a business plan, building permit application or subdivision application and they shake your hand and ask what they can do to help. It takes a little digging and you need to dig a lot deeper than seeing a photo on a web site.

Just last weekend I gave presentations on this subject in Houlton and Presque Isle. Many people who live right here do not understand why these things are happening. When they learn that it is all intentional and written down they are amazed. When they learn who did this to us, they are amazed. Then they begin to ask why their legislators in Augusta don't do something about it and they are amazed at the reason it doesn't happen.
There isn't even a small shred of evidence that there is any "rural cleansing" taking place in Eastport.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
If people retire to a place like Eastport, then that is one occupied house. But if a young family starts out in that town, they grow some kids who might then buy or build houses of their own down the road. That's not really happening in that area. If you're a 30 year old teacher with a halfway decent salary but few kids to educate (Lubec closed its school a couple years ago), then you're not going to have a job for long.

The only way out is if each retiree that settles there can convince two or three other retirees to move to the area.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
If people retire to a place like Eastport, then that is one occupied house. But if a young family starts out in that town, they grow some kids who might then buy or build houses of their own down the road. That's not really happening in that area.

The only way out is if each retiree that settles there can convince two or three other retirees to move to the area.
Unfortunately a lot of the kids do not get to stay when there are no jobs and have to make their fortunes away somewhere. One of my favorite relatives may be retiring in Eastport, maybe some of my cousins I have sent photos too will come back also and we can retake "Malloch Row"

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 74,119 times
Wow, my husband and I haven't even visited yet (we'll be there at the end of July), and already I feel like I've "met" such nice folks from Maine. It's so clear that you care deeply about the area and its future. I realize we'll be seeing it at its summer peak, but we'd definitely return to see it when it's much colder. We've enjoyed Yellowknife (Canada, NT) in winter, and like winter activities in general. This trip, we plan to visit Lubec/Campobello, Eastport, Calais, and Millinocket.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
The areas you are going to will not be terribly crowded being remote from the more touristy areas, Eastport's big day is the 4th of July because the navy sends a ship, my great uncle always said the best thing about the 4th of July was the 5th of July.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
I drove through Maine and stayed a week at Bar Harbor in the 1990's. The entire state of Maine was straight out of a Stephen King novel. The weirdest, greediest, nastiest people I ever met anywhere. You couldn't pay me a million dollars a year to live in Maine. I've lived in LA, Seattle, S.F., Detroit and New York city and travelled through most of the US and a big chunk of Mexico and Canada. Maine was just a bad dream.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I drove through Maine and stayed a week at Bar Harbor in the 1990's. The entire state of Maine was straight out of a Stephen King novel. The weirdest, greediest, nastiest people I ever met anywhere. You couldn't pay me a million dollars a year to live in Maine. I've lived in LA, Seattle, S.F., Detroit and New York city and travelled through most of the US and a big chunk of Mexico and Canada. Maine was just a bad dream.
Troll much lol?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Hey, welcome to the forum, bobspez! Tell us about yourself...........................

Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Clearly a troll post. I went to college in central Maine in the 90s. I met the best friends of my life there, and we are just as close now as we were over 20 years ago. I lived in several states, and although I love my native MA, I can say without a doubt Maine people have the best work ethic and sense of loyalty than anyone you will ever meet. Four years trumps a week. Work on it, pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine