Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have read both.

This is what I have so this is what I am working with.

I do have a selection of hydrometers from my brewing, later I will begin testing the sap. And we will know for sure exactly what percentage I am getting.

Which brings another issue, percentages of sugar, hmm. I do have a selection of brewing yeasts and a new strain of 'turbo-yeast' [guaranteed to bring a 30% sugar solution up to 29% alcohol].

Anyone brew maple?
Forest, maybe you could mix your maple syrup with whiskey, and make yourself a nice little maple liqueur.

Brewing a maple ale does sound interesting, though. Let us know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
Forest, maybe you could mix your maple syrup with whiskey, and make yourself a nice little maple liqueur.

Brewing a maple ale does sound interesting, though. Let us know how it turns out.
Sure, if I can keep some away from B and her syrup making.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
ALL trees produce sap. But not all trees sap tastes good when boiled down. I learned from our Maple Sunday field trip that sugar maples have 2-3% sugar in their sap and that red maples have 1%.

I dunno about Norway and the others. I DO know that Norway maples are a non-native species that spreads somewhat aggressively and is considered to be a threat to the native maples.

FWIW its importation from Europe is not a recent thing. Geo. Washington ordered two of them, back in his day...
I am getting confuzzled here. I am on other boards where folks are tapping and they all say different things [in the topic of tapping only Acer Saccharum or Acer Rubrum]

So we found our hydrometers [ our eldest had broke one ] and we took some measurements.

At 53* using 3 different hydrometers we measure a Specific Gravity of 1.020.

One of our hydrometers also has a Balling scale on it [which measures sugar content] and it says 4.5%

Now at the scion exchange workshops it was discussed that as the season goes on the types of sugars in the sap will change and near the end of flow all Maple sap will turn bitter. As the opening buds need different things at different stages. So I expect that at some point the sugar content will drop.

So as best as I can tell, our maple sap is running at 4.5%.

Anyone with their own hydrometer is invited to come and test it for themselves. B and I both read the readings on our hydrometers, we even compared reading glasses in the process.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post

Actually I would be more tempted to mix maple sugar with corn mash.

Do the mixing before it gets stilled not after it has been stilled.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
I am getting confuzzled here. I am on other boards where folks are tapping and they all say different things [in the topic of tapping only Acer Saccharum or Acer Rubrum]

So we found our hydrometers [ our eldest had broke one ] and we took some measurements.

One of our hydrometers also has a Balling scale on it [which measures sugar content] and it says 4.5%

Now at the scion exchange workshops it was discussed that as the season goes on the types of sugars in the sap will change and near the end of flow all Maple sap will turn bitter. As the opening buds need different things at different stages. So I expect that at some point the sugar content will drop.

Anyone with their own hydrometer is invited to come and test it for themselves. B and I both read the readings on our hydrometers, we even compared reading glasses in the process.
Interesting... I was just going by what the fellow said or had in a poster on the wall at the farm we visited on Maple Sunday.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM

411 posts, read 898,916 times
Quote:

There seems to be confusing info out there, Forest.

Seems to me that each individual piece of land, located in different areas of the country, or even the same state can have varying amounts of sugar content. Did you test different trees of that same variety? What were the readings?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM

411 posts, read 898,916 times
Quote:
Interesting... I was just going by what the fellow said or had in a poster on the wall at the farm we visited on Maple Sunday.
You are home already? lol Did ya get to Brewer? Find those dang muck boots??? I need some as well... so was wondering what you found. So far info I've looked up on our trek today has been favorable.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
You are home already? lol Did ya get to Brewer? Find those dang muck boots??? I need some as well... so was wondering what you found. So far info I've looked up on our trek today has been favorable.
NO, I stopped at Family Dollar and decided to head out to AC Moores to get stuff for my class instead. Checked at the shoe place there in the mall area where K got his, but they only have womens down to sz 9... told me Millers is pretty much it for the full range of sizes.

I'll put them on the Thurs. list as I know I need them NOW (garden is getting soft!)

I can see that some of the blueberries survived, too... buds on them are not all dead (not bad for end of season close out plants put into the ground in the wrong season).

Saw a redwing blackbird they other day, too... and the birds that I used to hear flying in the late dusk, calling, are back.

That rain, cold as it was, DID SAY SPRING to me!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
There seems to be confusing info out there, Forest.

Seems to me that each individual piece of land, located in different areas of the country, or even the same state can have varying amounts of sugar content. Did you test different trees of that same variety? What were the readings?
Have not done that yet.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
That rain, cold as it was, DID SAY SPRING to me!
Tonight's weather says Merry Freaking Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine