Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

See, you scared her off by saying how cold Caribou is and how it floods all the time. Now she has gone to the land of the midnight midnight. She'll likely show up in Caribou in a few years rejoicing at how much warmer it is than in the land of the midnight midnight. After all, 24 hours of midnight does get a little old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Ok, so the OP has flown the coop... but I will be in Caribou next weekend (August 29) for the National Weather Service office open house.

Since I will be driving all the way up from Corinth, I am considering following #1 up to Fort Kent (so as to see Madawaska (the northernmost town in the continental US on the way) and back down #11 until I hit 95 again.

Anything particular I might want to look at along the way? Some place especially good to eat?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Ok, so the OP has flown the coop... but I will be in Caribou next weekend (August 29) for the National Weather Service office open house.

Since I will be driving all the way up from Corinth, I am considering following #1 up to Fort Kent (so as to see Madawaska (the northernmost town in the continental US on the way) and back down #11 until I hit 95 again.

Anything particular I might want to look at along the way? Some place especially good to eat?
star, when you get off in sherman and go towards patten, there's a view- pull off on the left (top of a hill) if you got a few minutes, pull over, you can look south towards mt katadhin, an awesome view, also, try to avoid driving route 11 between patten and ashland in the dark, its moose country
its a nice ride in the day, beware the logging trucks, that go 75 mph!!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
star, when you get off in sherman and go towards patten, there's a view- pull off on the left (top of a hill) if you got a few minutes, pull over, you can look south towards mt katadhin, an awesome view, also, try to avoid driving route 11 between patten and ashland in the dark, its moose country
its a nice ride in the day, beware the logging trucks, that go 75 mph!!
You can be sure I will be on the lookout for moose! I have only seen one thus far since I arrived in Maine. Of course I want to SEE them (and preferably that a photo) not have an encounter of the "ouch" kind.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
You can be sure I will be on the lookout for moose! I have only seen one thus far since I arrived in Maine. Of course I want to SEE them (and preferably that a photo) not have an encounter of the "ouch" kind.
You really have to get out more often...he,he,he,he.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
also, try to avoid driving route 11 between patten and ashland in the dark, its moose country
We were up route 11 at the end of June and saw 8 moose in just under an hour. It was right before dusk, and ditto what mainebrokerman said don't drive that road after dark. They store the wrecks at a garage across the road from my cousin's house and there are several vehicles a week that have had moose incident's. I hit one up there North of Knowles Corner with an F-250 several years ago and lucky for me I had a plow on it.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Holy cow (Moose??), My dad hit a moose a couple weeks ago near Ashland, head on. At dusk, doing 45. He didn't even get a bruise, and the darned thing only busted up the truck's hood (but didn't come up onto it). How in the heck?!! I'm just thankful.
SLOW down at dusk/night. That's the trick. You can still drive that road, I do every week. (It's a great drive........excellent road, not much traffic..............the classic "open road"!) Just slow down at night and pay attention. (And it always amazes me when people don't use their high beams in Moose Country!)
Good idea to do the "loop". Good restaurants: Horn of Plenty in Houlton (Route1), Blue Moose in Monticello (just down the road from HOP), Greenhouse in Caribou (fancier...........and can get elk, buffalo, kangaroo.........no joke!), Burger Boy in Caribou (a classic car-hop type place that takes you right back to 1960s..........which it dates to), Lakeview in St. Agatha (outside Madawaska) has an unbelievable view, great food too; and Dean's in Portage Lake (classic place going back 80 years).
Hop over the bridge into Edmunston if you want to go to a European country for an hour (you'll think you're in France). Bring a passport or two forms of ID.
DO stop at that lookout just outside of Patten (it will be on your way south, on your right). It is AMAZING. Bring a camera.
See you at the NWS open house, should be fun for geeks or history buffs.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks, Maineguy! I am sure the trip will be fun and I DO use my high beams at night, pretty much any time I am in the country. Moose are not the only things that end up on the road, unexpectedly, at night. My hubby hit a horse that bolted directly into our path one night in western CO.

Look for me at the open house and say hi! I'll likely be wearing one of my bright yellow t-shirts promoting DutchHexSign.com or VisionIPD.com on the back. I'm only 5' tall, so be sure to look DOWN! LOL

And I will for sure be bringing my camera! I almost never leave home without it (and likely the laptop as well, in case I need to download before I get home.)

Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 16,072 times
Hi Kids
I may be headed up your way in the spring, even if just for a few weeks or so. About 7 years ago my daughter and I bought a 50 acre track up in caribou just for a place to get away once in a while. We’ve been so busy that we still haven’t gotten go up since we bought it but I think we will head up in the spring no matter what. We need a road trip bad.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
You really have to get out more often...he,he,he,he.
There are some who cruise the roads with a beater pickup and a six pack at dusk HOPING a moose will step out in front of them. If you hit it you own it. It may mangle some meat but half a moose for free is worth the price of a beater pickup anyday! And you don't need to be in some stupid lottery!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine