Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times

Advertisements

You know, the one thing that I am REALLY impressed with is the lack of self pity of Maineahs. Yes, they know times are hard, taxes are high,ane the government gives only to those who have their hands out, but yet they survive, they hang in there, and actually they prosper. Perhaps their prosperity isn't measured in $$$, but it is measured in the fact that they made it. I can read the figures, and Washington county is probably the poorest county in Maine. Yet, the people I know there don't look at it that way. They get by. They live, they laugh, and they take care of each other. Perhaps all those statistics about income, unemployment and poverty do not take into account that the lifestyle. The community spirit may make the figures nothing but numbers on paper. Numbers on paper don't see the smiles, the spunk, and the soul of the people. They are just numbers. Before you make jokes about Washington county, come on up downeast, and get your feet wet. You will see that it isn't as bad as the numbers make it out to be. But then, if you are strictly numbers person, you probably wouldn't like it up heah! A downeast Maineah once told me, "why wait, come on up and be poor with the rest of us, you won't regret it." With each passing day, I know he is right.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Downeast Maine, like no other place in the world....

Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Hey El, do they hire newbies? My son is a firefighter and has taken some of his EMT classes. He's finishing them up now and working for a volunteer department. He needs a job, not to volunteer forever. And he loved living up north in Jersey. And we all know Maine is way better than Jersey!! Maybe he'd be happy in the Eastport area? If so I'm wondering if the in-laws would go halfsies on a place with hubby and I and we could let the son live there until he finds a place....

They hire anyone they can get their hands on who has the proper certifications. You have to look around for paid fire departments, but there are plenty of opportunities in the EMS field here in WaCo. Brad just got a raise - now making $2 an hour more than he started at in April, because they know several other agencies are trying to recruit him full-time. Woohoo!!

I told him I'm pimping him out to the highest bidder!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
They hire anyone they can get their hands on who has the proper certifications. You have to look around for paid fire departments, but there are plenty of opportunities in the EMS field here in WaCo. Brad just got a raise - now making $2 an hour more than he started at in April, because they know several other agencies are trying to recruit him full-time. Woohoo!!

I told him I'm pimping him out to the highest bidder!
Hey, you go girl!! Pimp that man out for all you can get out of him! LOL!! I'll have to tell Rye about that. I know he misses the snow like crazy. They moved to Florida from Wyoming where they had 20+ foot snow drifts and he thought it was heaven. I bet he'd love Maine. And it would put him close to his father's family and he needs to be there with them. His grandparents are getting older now and his cousins are growing up so fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
You know, the one thing that I am REALLY impressed with is the lack of self pity of Maineahs. Yes, they know times are hard, taxes are high,ane the government gives only to those who have their hands out, but yet they survive, they hang in there, and actually they prosper. Perhaps their prosperity isn't measured in $$$, but it is measured in the fact that they made it. I can read the figures, and Washington county is probably the poorest county in Maine. Yet, the people I know there don't look at it that way. They get by. They live, they laugh, and they take care of each other. Perhaps all those statistics about income, unemployment and poverty do not take into account that the lifestyle. The community spirit may make the figures nothing but numbers on paper. Numbers on paper don't see the smiles, the spunk, and the soul of the people. They are just numbers. Before you make jokes about Washington county, come on up downeast, and get your feet wet. You will see that it isn't as bad as the numbers make it out to be. But then, if you are strictly numbers person, you probably wouldn't like it up heah! A downeast Maineah once told me, "why wait, come on up and be poor with the rest of us, you won't regret it." With each passing day, I know he is right.

Those are the type of people I want to be around. I can't stand the lazy white trash that spend all day on the couch, drinking their cans of Bud, watching Jerry Springer and living on my tax dollar while they knock up every illegal in the trailer park. It gets really old. And that's what Florida had become before I left. It was that or the multi-bazillionairs that lived in their little McMansions on the beach that wouldn't give you the time of day because you drove a lowly Honda. I'm so over those kinds of people.

Where I'm at now is one of the most economically depressed rural areas you'll find. But the people here love God, their country, and their family and friends. If you are ever in need for anything at all, they'll drop what they're doing to help you in a heart beat because - as we've been told many times - neighbors help neighbors. That's the kind of community I want to be a part of, the kind I'm proud to be a part of. My parents - more specifically my father's family - came from money, and quite frankly after seeing how my mother and sister turned out because of it, I want no part of it.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 AM

87 posts, read 252,020 times
Listen to me: Go to Eastport. Find your dream house. Knock on the door. Say, "Would you sell your houe and land to me for $100,00.00?" Listen to the word "Yes." Get a lawyer and pay her $100 (not a realtor - it must be legal), pay, own, be happy. Any house is for sale. Any one, any where. You are in the driver's seat.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Caldwell View Post
Listen to me: Go to Eastport. Find your dream house. Knock on the door. Say, "Would you sell your houe and land to me for $100,00.00?" Listen to the word "Yes." Get a lawyer and pay her $100 (not a realtor - it must be legal), pay, own, be happy. Any house is for sale. Any one, any where. You are in the driver's seat.
That might work up that way but if someone knocked on my door offering me $100,000 for my house I'd laugh them off the deck!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,522,085 times
Easy does it mrs1885, Florida is a big state, and I'm a resident of it, and I summer vacation in Eastport. My suggestion to you, is take a couple of 2-3 wk
visits to Eastport, just to make sure it's what your hoping for.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Could work.

Seeing houses being marketed for $40k - $60k, ...

Old 09-12-2009, 06:01 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
LMAO!!! oh my word I needed a good laugh!! thanks for that!! You would certainly need more than that to get mine.... I dare say there are a number of us who wouldn't sell. period.

But hey, I needed a good laugh!!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Geez, if I'd only known it was that simple...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: