Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 21,134 times

Advertisements

Wow....! My wife and I live in Tulsa, OK and want to retire in Maine and I guess we need to stock up on bug spray. We want to buy some acres but not live to far from town....so no "deep" woods for us. I am sure the flies can read signs if we post no trespassing signs, what do you think?

I was born and raised in N.Y. and never heard of a Chigger till I moved to OK https://www.google.com/health/ref/Chiggers

Probably no creature on earth can cause as much torment for its size than the tiny chigger......Chiggers, HYG-2100-98

Don't know which is worse....Black Flies or Chiggers.....lol

Last edited by 2WhiteHummers; 10-04-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WhiteHummers View Post
Wow .... ! My wife and I live in Tulsa, OK and want to retire in Maine and I guess we need to stock up on bug spray. We want to buy some acres but not live to far from town .... so no "deep" woods for us. I am sure the flies can read signs if we post no trespassing signs, what do you think?

I was born and raised in N.Y. and never heard of a Chigger till I moved to OK https://www.google.com/health/ref/Chiggers

Probably no creature on earth can cause as much torment for its size than the tiny chigger ...... Chiggers, HYG-2100-98

Don't know which is worse .... Black Flies or Chiggers ..... lol
We have experienced both black fly and chiggers.

I would have to say that black fly are worse; but they only go through an area in waves and then they are gone. In our little township we have not seen black fly here for 2 years now. The waves as they migrate through the region will simply skip or miss an area. Nobody seems to have any understanding of how to determine when or where a wave will move.

If black fly were actually thick in your area, they would effect your enjoyment far more so than chiggers would. However once the black fly move on and leave your area, then you only have to contend with the skeeters.

A couple years ago we did have black fly settle here for a while before moving on. it was a challenge. Our dogs got the worst of it.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 PM

228 posts, read 474,448 times
chiggers are horrible!!!! Although, mosquitoes and the gnats are horrible this year! The giant skeeters seem to have disappeared....for now....but the regular size ones and the gnats are getting worse. What do ya do, though. My Mom gave me some citronella incense sticks....I might end up burning one just to see how they work...hahahaha.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
Quote:
How are the bugs in Maine??
Delicious............

Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Delicious............
Sauteed with garlic

Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
Trash-Can Skeeter

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Trash-Can Skeeter
basted in beer and Tabasco.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post
chiggers are horrible!!!! Although, mosquitoes and the gnats are horrible this year! The giant skeeters seem to have disappeared....for now....but the regular size ones and the gnats are getting worse. What do ya do, though. My Mom gave me some citronella incense sticks....I might end up burning one just to see how they work...hahahaha.
I have asked this before but got no answer. What is a chigger?
90% of the bugs are dead around here now. Having breakfast on the patio I did have a yellow jacket land on my unfinished scrambled eggs a week or so ago,snip off a piece with his mandibles and fly off with it. It was weird seeing a bee flying around with a piece of scrambled egg in his mouth. He did it several times.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have asked this before but got no answer. What is a chigger?
90% of the bugs are dead around here now. Having breakfast on the patio I did have a yellow jacket land on my unfinished scrambled eggs a week or so ago,snip off a piece with his mandibles and fly off with it. It was weird seeing a bee flying around with a piece of scrambled egg in his mouth. He did it several times.
a chigger kinda looks like a tick.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
We are having our usual fall invasion of ladybugs, but most everything else is gone.

Given the fact that my house won't A. Blow away in a hurricane B. Flood or C. incur bulletholes courtesy of thugs, I guess I'll take a litte dose of "Beelzebub's Bloodsucking Buggers." There's enough products to help live through their lifespans IMHO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine