Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern maine land man View Post
if you have a transferrable skill you will do well. There is a big demand for teachers and nurses. The reason you see ads for "low paying service type jobs" is that people with the potential to improve themselves quickly do just that, creating a vacancy in the low paying service type jobs. Isn't it that way everywhere?
no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:10 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
Bugs?

My renters on MDI said that when they moved out of the apartment in the village of Bar Harbor and out to our farmhouse about 5 miles outside of town, near the Northeast Creek, they had bugs as big as bees from about early May to early June.

I've never been on island on exactly that time period, and my renters come from Holland(husband works for Jackson labs), so there might be a translation issue about being as big as bees---maybe they meant as big as flies. They did say they would bite their kids.

We plan to put a screen enclosed porch on the house when we move in for the bug times in the late spring.

FWIW,

zarathu

Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM

20 posts, read 25,888 times
MAINE IS AMAZING!!! Holy cow! Can't say enough great things, without the risk of sounding so cliche. Words that tend to come to mind are: picturesque, beautiful, right out of a movie, etc., etc. My husband and I fell head over heels in love with Maine after two recent trips and are seriously considering a move with our two young sons from Texas. We just came back from Boothbay Harbor last week after celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary there. The temps were getting cooler and I heard several times that everything "shuts down" after Columbus Day, which surprisingly did not frighten me at all. Did y'all end up moving? If so, have you loved the choice or regretted it? I'm a warm natured person, but something about Maine made me push all hesitation aside and actually excited about wintertime in New England...especially since we have boys, I feel there is a lot of wintertime activities to offer for them to be involved in, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! ��

Last edited by chellejo7; 10-12-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellejo7 View Post
MAINE IS AMAZING!!! Holy cow! Can't say enough great things, without the risk of sounding so cliche. Words that tend to come to mind are: picturesque, beautiful, right out of a movie, etc., etc. My husband and I fell head over heels in love with Maine after two recent trips and are seriously considering a move with our two young sons from Texas. We just came back from Boothbay Harbor last week after celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary there. The temps were getting cooler and I heard several times that everything "shuts down" after Columbus Day, which surprisingly did not frighten me at all.
Along the coast is a much more tourism economy. It makes sense that during tourist season the population explodes, and otherwise the local population will be much less.

I do not live in a tourist region, so our little town does not experience that. It is the same here year-round.

Quote:
... Did y'all end up moving? If so, have you loved the choice or regretted it?
We moved here by choice. We decided to move somewhere like this for our retirement about middle of my career. After I retired we made our move, and we have enjoyed it ever since.

Quote:
... I'm a warm natured person, but something about Maine made me push all hesitation aside and actually excited about wintertime in New England...especially since we have boys, I feel there is a lot of wintertime activities to offer for them to be involved in, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! ��
We like winters in Maine

Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellejo7 View Post
Did y'all end up moving? If so, have you loved the choice or regretted it?
We did move here, up north of Bangor. We moved this past June, about a year and a half after I retired. I did spend most of the summer of 2013 up here, building a small ranch house for us to live in.

We LOVE it here. We are used to New England, though...life-long Rhode Islanders. Don't regret leaving that place!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM

I am currently an elementary school teacher. How do the prospects for employment in education currently look in Maine? We most likely will move to/close to the Portland area, as my husband travels often for work and we'd prefer to be closer to the airport.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
You should also consider Bangor. They have the only other full service airport in Maine.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You should also consider Bangor. They have the only other full service airport in Maine.
Not sure of your definition of a full service airport, but Presque Isle offers 3 round trips a day on PenAir to Boston for $79 each way advanced purchase. PenAir is also a partner of Alaska Airlines which services Boston and is a partner of Delta.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I know. I realize that regional airlines are important. I regard a full service airport as one that has international flights and multiple destinations. Augusta and Bar Harbor also have commercial service last I knew. There are other very good airports in Maine that don't have scheduled flights.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 PM

Thank you for your replies Submariner, Nor'Eastah, Northern Maine Land Man, and kellysmith! Any insight into the abundance of teaching jobs for this elementary ed teacher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine