Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine
I'm not saying "I'm right~ this is how I see things from here." ((Remember I come to City data to learn new things, open my mind to new experiences from the people here, and share stories~ so don't attack."))
Yes, maam

Quote:
... I find Maine to be a nice fit for me.
Me too

Quote:
Teachers and Learning:
We have been blessed with teachers from all over coming to Maine and sharing their education with our young ones.
I think our education has it's highs and lows.
(*I'm not going to focus on lows~ that's just a battle.)

High:
One on one learning is a plus -we learn to respect and care what our teachers think of us - thus~ try harder.
Thank you teachers for coming to Maine, sharing your education with us and thank you to those who lived here all their lives and returned with your education to teach here as well.

Maine is a Rare Find.
Good points.

Quote:
... Alot of the states in the US tend to grow to quickly- resulting in down falls.

Maine is slow, yesss sometimes to slow, but if you think of it as a positive... like

Example for a Want and not a Whim”
My daughter says, "Mom, I want a new bike really bad.
and if I said, :"Oh .. okay.. here ya go …”New Bike”.

Week later... bike sits in the drive way... with out the child that wanted it.

If she asks and continues to ask over months and months, then this bike is on their minds alot and the bike is really really wanted and not a whim.

Here in Maine, when we bring something to our government~ usually it's been a want or a need for our state. We may not all agree but it shows a true want.
I can see that.

Quote:
... Cost of living seems to be reasonable,
{*ducks* considering}
.......you can own a lot of land a decent home, and when life is over you have something.
Such has been our observation.

Quote:
... Some of our family in the booming cities ~ rent or own a garden home. ( garden home is attached to another garden home so you have no “side windows”.)

They pay triple for their rents or homes each month then I do and this is to live in the city. That’s what they want to do. To each their own.

If I got down and out, I could work at a fast food place to pay my mortgage on a 3 bedroom home that has an acre of land near the lake.
We too have friends [and family] who live in areas where it takes a lot of money to survive.

And yet here we see folks who are working minimum-wage and raising familes.

You just can not do that in most areas stateside.

Quote:
... There’s just to many pros and cons to Maine for everyone. It’s like anything in life apples and oranges.

I had a TERRIBLE experience in a town in Maine, but I can’t .. compare that town to “Maine”.
That wouldn’t’ be fair.
Okay then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:06 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
[quote] If you are not in any of the above categories, then you need to find employment first before you move, and figure out what your expensies are likely to be. Make sure that you have experienced a year of semi-solitude before you move to Caribou. Isolation is not what its cracked up to be by people who are just tired of the rat race. [quote]

I live near downtown Caribou and some days I wish I COULD live in more "solitude"........lol. The only solitude I get to experience is self-imposed, and hard won.
That is to say, the towns around here have more of a "self-sustaining" feel than most of the towns downstate I've lived in or visited...........for many of those, you have to drive a good distance to get basic stuff. You may be a lot closer to Boston as the crow flies, but I decided a long time ago that this fact brought me little comfort or happiness. So north we went.
To the CITY of Caribou! (and ten minutes away from the CITY of Presque Isle....)

Old 12-21-2009, 05:09 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,122 times
Solitude is defined, for me, as not having a neighbor within a half mile. Its not defined as to how far you have to drive to get to a store. I have to drive 6 miles to get to anykind of store, but I live in farm country of southern lancaster county PA. But I live in a development and I have neighbors within 100 feet, and at least 20 housed within 1/2 mile. I used t own a cabin on 40 acres of ground surounded by thousands. I didn't have a full time neighbor for almost 3/4 mile. That's solitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine