Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times

Advertisements

They obviously have too much time on their hands.....and meet too long in session. I do believe, however, that if you keep a cell phone glued to your ear 24/7, it could be detrimental. That would be especially true in Maine and rural areas. Cell phones use as little radio frequency energy that is needed to "talk" to the tower. Since Maine is mostly rural, cell phones are just about always operating at maximum power. I noticed that my cell phone battery doesn't last nearly as long in Maine, especially if I talk on it a bit. The old "brick" phones were 3 watters, and these probably weren't too good for our old noodles, but then, the batteries didn't last long either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyFatGuy View Post
NO need!!! ... just won't get another government tracking device - great reason

AustinB ... THANKS, but it's our news and it ... well, it's not good, can't believe anything printed these days, but that's another thread

I've got to agree with you on that!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's common to see people between the IGA and The First using cell phones because they get a decent signal from the mainland there.
That is how we figured out to make calls from there. We kept losing our signal near Charlotte also, being more inland does not always help.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Hate to tell you guys, but, the good old USA gov't has had info on where you place cell phone calls from since about 2 years after 911. You cannot turn off the GPS tracking device in your phone. How do I know this? Carriers refused to turn on a perfectly good but older cell phone I had. I asked the reason, and they said that FCC rules prohibit the activation of a cell without tracking. I called a couple of other carriers, and got the same answer from them. When pushed, they had a pat answer. There was a woman a few years ago who was trapped when she ran off the road into a snowbank. They could talk to her, but couldn't find her, hence the rule/regulation, whatever you want to call it. That sounds pretty thin to me. You can turn off the tracking off to everyone but 911 and the GOVT!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 AM

160 posts, read 317,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Hate to tell you guys, but, the good old USA gov't has had info on where you place cell phone calls from since about 2 years after 911. You cannot turn off the GPS tracking device in your phone. How do I know this? Carriers refused to turn on a perfectly good but older cell phone I had. I asked the reason, and they said that FCC rules prohibit the activation of a cell without tracking. I called a couple of other carriers, and got the same answer from them. When pushed, they had a pat answer. There was a woman a few years ago who was trapped when she ran off the road into a snowbank. They could talk to her, but couldn't find her, hence the rule/regulation, whatever you want to call it. That sounds pretty thin to me. You can turn off the tracking off to everyone but 911 and the GOVT!
I bet wew've been monitored far longer than 9/11...imo

Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
I bet wew've been monitored far longer than 9/11...imo
Guarenteed.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 AM

160 posts, read 317,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I would but the women at the Commons would get angry. Just stand in front and check the screen I guess. There is a spot out in front of a certain shop across the street from there, too. And at the old Irving station parking lot. Follow the sailors. They find them every year.
do many sailors (army, marines, etc) hang out in eastport while on leave?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I grew to like Moxie. It is much sweeter now than it used to be.
Moxie for most in Maine~ is the Well Water. I always found it bitter ( I think it's easy to swallow.. but it's the after taste that lasts and lastssssss.

Quote:
what banks are in town? how 'bout credit unions, any close by?
My experience with the DECU is fine, but not for my business loan needs. ( but for homes ~ and regular banking ~ okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I use a Trac-fone. I get coverage in more places than the big companies you mentioned. There are also a few spots (and I do mean spots) downtown. But is you step sideways ONE step, you're roaming to Canada.
I believe I'm going to convert back to the Trac phone ( as often as I use it).. soon as my "plan if up".. I may consider it "deeply."

Quote:
I believe they "hang there"...so do some others during that time... oh.. never mind.
What'd we talking about? ( the face of "chicken little" when I said that.)

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Eastport gets a Navy ship in port for a visit nearly every year during the July 4 celebration. Sometimes there are a couple of hundred drunken sailors in town at the same time.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Check with Net 10 and see if they have the same coverage. They are cheaper than TRAC, and it is the same company. I do know that they use different networks in some places, so coverage could be crappy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine