Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just got an email that claims the current round of negotiation and compromise among our state legislators has our state budget requiring a $5Million tax hike to support MaineCare.

I saw a headline in BDN about a new bill and how it would fix things if LePage would accept it.

Is this for real? Or is the guy who sent this to me a kook?

Are we preparing for a tax hike in Maine?

I suppose they could use some of it to pay for what is still owed to providers from years ago.

This is a tricky wicket when it comes to saying what MaineCare is actually paying. There is very little transparency on what expenditures are going for past-due bills.

My employer was paid for costs past due from years ago, and then very shortly thereafter, there was hubbub about Maine overpaying the providers.

Here's the thing: They overpaid what they agreed to pay for what was due in arrears. Whoops. There went our paltry 3% COLA for the third year in a row. Merit raises went south years ago.

Yep. Everyone seems to want the best care, but no one seems to want to pay for it (IMO).

So yes, they overpaid at that point, but they still owed the money to begin with.

Naturally, that caused bloomers to knot all over Maine because after all, we overpaid! Well, not really, but you get my point.

Still, there is a lot of fraud that they could go after - it's very apparent - but, we don't seem to want to kick them off (or heavily fine them if they are a provider) regardless.

That said, when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty details, I wouldn't believe an 'outrage email' because IMHO half of them are either wrong, or almost completely twisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Cool A sign of nature that summer will soon be here.

Someone was asking me if I thought that honey bees could tell when winter is over for sure. I think that bees have tiny little brains, and do not know squat.

However there is a much better sign. A sign I saw today. I went into the big city, we had to run some errands and afterward we attended a supper and show at the Bangor Grange [great food and wonderful show btw].

I saw five, I said FIVE, early spring short-shorts today. These are the most rare sightings of young birds just entering their maturity. Thats right, young females of the homo-sapiens variety out strolling about displaying their snow-white legs wearing incredibly short shorts [Hot pants we used to call them]. It really got my attention. Of course I acted cool, you do not want to spook the wild life when your out on errands. Besides to much drooling may draw an unwanted slap-to-the-back-of-the-head from another of nature's wonders the Dw.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
Cute, FBK...I've seen the same around here, though my reaction is more...amazement. But then, I'm still in long johns .

Speaking of bees - visited a friend's hives the other day and the bees were feeding - in the hive, where it's nice and cozy. We went up to Humble Abodes Beekeeping supplies in Whitefield and spent a couple of hours picking out "Paul's grade" (economy, though perfectly sound) stock to make two hives. I'm ordering two nucs on Monday from the same - Paul Dumont - for pick up later in the spring.

Do you have active hives?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Cute, FBK...I've seen the same around here, though my reaction is more...amazement. But then, I'm still in long johns .
Yes, 'amazement' works, it is close to amazing.

Quote:
... Speaking of bees - visited a friend's hives the other day and the bees were feeding - in the hive, where it's nice and cozy. We went up to Humble Abodes Beekeeping supplies in Whitefield and spent a couple of hours picking out "Paul's grade" (economy, though perfectly sound) stock to make two hives. I'm ordering two nucs on Monday from the same - Paul Dumont - for pick up later in the spring.

Do you have active hives?
Yes I have some active hives.

My bees have been outside a few times for cleansing.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 PM

157 posts, read 327,840 times
Quote:

My bees have been outside a few times for cleansing.
FBK: How exactly does a bee cleanse? Just curious do you mean an internal cleansing as in catharsis, or cleaning of their exoskeleton? Please excuse my knowledge deficit of "bee cleansing".

BTW - I hate bees due to a childhood trauma bee sting- allergy , but I very much appreciate the fruits of their labor in the way of yummy honey and their pollenation. Speaking of allergies & honey - our local TV network ran a special segment this week about home remedy's to help allergy sufferers, e.g allergies of the allergic rhitinits type and raw unpasteurized honey (the creamy colored kind our local Amish market sells in bulk here in Maryland in various flavors) was a remedy mentioned.

Just so you know, we've been seeing what appears to be honeybees, yellow jackets, and hornets here in Northern Baltimore suburbs the past 2-3 weeks, very odd this time of year - nature confused here too.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:

I saw five, I said FIVE, early spring short-shorts today. These are the most rare sightings of young birds just entering their maturity. Thats right, young females of the homo-sapiens variety out strolling about displaying their snow-white legs wearing incredibly short shorts [Hot pants we used to call them]. It really got my attention. Of course I acted cool, you do not want to spook the wild life when your out on errands. Besides to much drooling may draw an unwanted slap-to-the-back-of-the-head from another of nature's wonders the Dw.

Really? You better make sure they're over 18 or you may end up getting slapped with something more than the back of dw's hand.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Really? You better make sure they're over 18 or you may end up getting slapped with something more than the back of dw's hand.
"just entering their maturity" is a bit young for a man of your years,.. ya think?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
FBK: How exactly does a bee cleanse? Just curious do you mean an internal cleansing as in catharsis, or cleaning of their exoskeleton? Please excuse my knowledge deficit of "bee cleansing". ...
When it is too cold, they can force themselves to fly. But it kills them within a few seconds.

When it is too humid the moisture keeps their wings floppy. So they need dry air to make their wings work.

Most of the winter they stay inside their hive. They are not able to go outside to defecate. So they hold it all in.

On the first day that they can actually fly and survive, they go out to drop a load and 'lose weight'. The ground and walls within a 3 or 4 foot radius around each hive get covered with little yellow/brown streaks.

On warm and dry days after that, begins 'spring cleaning'. A lot of bees normally die over the winter. So on nice days they begin to drag out all of the accumulated dead bodies that had piled up inside their hive. The ground gets covered with all the dead bees that died over-winter.

Also I am noticing that they are looking for nectar everywhere. But can not find any flowers.

Our livestock feed hoppers have a feed mix that includes cracked corn. I suspect the corn is GMO high-fructose corn. I see bees covering each speck of corn. I think that they can sense to high sugar content, but can not figure out a way to drink the corn.

I hope that having corn in our feed hoppers does not lure too many bees away from their hive duties. As I make my rounds I see hundreds of bees at each of our hoppers, which counts for thousands for bees over all. Who probably should not be spending their day-light mesmerized by corn.

Anyway that is the Bees news.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Someone is going to physically assault you for looking at girls on the street?

Wow what a rough crowd. Hope they do not like being arrested.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
just wondering...aren't you feeding your bees this time of year? That is, if they don't have adequate honey of their own...

Last edited by maureenb; 03-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine