Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM

22 posts, read 92,187 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I was wondering if any of you could informe which school system is better. I spoke with someone that told me to stay away from the Montgomery school system. Then I read else were that the montgomery school system is ranked top in the nation.

So which is it? I'm sure that HC has some great schools but are they better or comparable with MC schools.

My wife and I are planning to relocate to the Rockville, Geithesburg or German town area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 PM

304 posts, read 713,750 times
I don't know about Howard, but I do know for certain the Montgomery is the top district in the entire Washington Metro Area. They have the highest test scores and more students taking and passing AP Exams than any other area school system. Several of their high schools are ranked in the top 1500 in the entire nation. My younger siblings just started attending schools in MoCo and the difference has been night and day as compared to where they came from. The school system is ran quite well. I'm not sure why you were advised to stay away. That's a blanket statement. Was there something specific your friends cited???

Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
They're both good school systems.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 AM

I was told that Howard County and specially ellicot city Mt.airy had fantastic schools.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassis View Post
My wife and I are planning to relocate to the Rockville, Geithesburg or German town area.
I believe Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown are all in Montgomery County so I'm not sure what your question really is. Both Howard County and Montgomery County have good schools. I think Montgomery County has more options for attending special programs outside your residence area; this is not an option in Howard County.

Greatschools.com is a good source for reviewing specific schools.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,092 times
Both are good but if I could deal with the overcrowding and location, then I would have chosen Montgomery County. Howard County schools are good but you have no school choice and no real special programs. Most school systems today, offer some form of school choice.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM

How overcrowded would be the areas of Rockville or North Potomac? I'm coming from Los Angeles.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM

I also noticed that under greatschools.com HC rates much higher then MC

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I believe Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown are all in Montgomery County so I'm not sure what your question really is. Both Howard County and Montgomery County have good schools. I think Montgomery County has more options for attending special programs outside your residence area; this is not an option in Howard County.
Both counties have top schools. Montogomery county is larger and has twice the number of high schools as Howard. Plus, Montgomery's high schools tend to be larger, with several schools having over 2,000 students. Howard's average 1300-1400 students. As the poster said, Montgomery has magnet schools, such as a school for top science and technology students. Howard doesn't have a magnet program. All students attend a school based on their residence area. IMO the Rockville/Germantown schools are very comparable to the schools in Howard.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassis View Post
How overcrowded would be the areas of Rockville or North Potomac? I'm coming from Los Angeles.
North Potomac is very uncrowded. If you meant Gaithersburg, it's not too bad there either. Rockville is more crowded with lots of traffic but I don't think it is like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland