Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:30 PM

17 posts, read 45,538 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for about 5 months and thankfully landed a new job in Columbia, MD. My husband works in Baltimore, and we live happily on Kent Island. As we have a toddler, we would like to relocate closer to both of our jobs in order to spend more quality time together and less time on the roads.

We decided we should move to Howard County. We're lifelong Marylanders, but were originally from Anne Arundel Co., so we're not familar with Howard County schools at all. I've been researching about schools and areas and have a question about FARMs. From the boards, it seems people are saying generally the lower percentage of FARM, the better the school. That said, Centennial Lane Elem, which a lot of people seem to consider the best school in Ellicott City vicinity, supposedly has a 25% FARM demographic according to MD Report Card.com. Some of the schools considered "lesser" have lower percentages. I'm confused. Then you add the whole chance of restricting thing in the mix and I'm afraid to buy anything in a good school area for fear redestricting and lower value of my home.

Can anyone comment (or is willing to) on Ilchester Elm., Bonnie Branch Middle, and Howard High Schools? What about Manor Woods, Marriott Ridge, etc. It seems none are as good as Clarksville, River Hill, Glenwood, etc., but those areas are out of our price range.

Is it too much to expect to be able to buy a newer house (built in the 90's at least) in a neighborhood with a good, safe school that's close to work? We are not city people, so Ellicott City seems preferred over Columbia. It doesn't seem like there are any good schools in Columbia at all. Or, if the elm school is okay, the middle and high aren't or vice versa.

We were considering Sykesville/Eldersburg, but have heard nightmares about the traffic, so I'm not sure it's worth it. We would prefer to be under 30 minutes for our commutes.

I hate Maryland sometimes. It'sthe same problem in Anne Arundel Co. You have to be a millionaire to get a newer house in a good school zone close to work.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Have you seen this:The Real Estate Wonk: Cheapest, most expensive communities in Md. - Baltimore homes, apartments, real estate: Buying, selling, renting and housing news from reporter Jamie Smith Hopkins - baltimoresun.com

otherwise... North AA County? Ferndale & Millersville are still nice areas.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to any of the schools you've mentioned. All of Howard County is on the same curriculum, and they are overall very good schools. I actually prefer that my kids not go to the ones perceived as the "best" of Howard County because I'm worried that the level of pressure and competition would be excessive. It's also been pointed out to me that schools with a higher FARM percentage are given lot more resources, and that can be an advantage. I often think that what is perceived as a lesser school in Howard County would get rave reviews in many other areas.

Also, I'm not sure where you are getting your ratings, but "best" just on test scores may just reflect the demographics of the school. Greatschools.com has a good combination of personal experience and test scores.

But to your question, I think it may be too much to expect to want a newer house. You can get everything else, but that one is harder to get. At least stretch your envelope to houses built in the late 80s.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,475 times
I'm not sure where you got your information for Centennial Lane but it does not have 25% FARM students. Also, what is your source for Columbia not having any good schools. As JLurk stated all schools teach from the same materials, so the difference in the schools is not the curriculum, it is the students, so some schools have more FARM students then others. Each school in Howard will have some students going Ivy, some going to Military, HCC and no where. I do not believe any of Howard County schools have a 100% college attendance rate. The numbers are statistics and they are not indicative of how your child will perform. If you look at the MSA data by race, you will see that the scores among schools are similar.

Also, check out the size of the schools and overcrowding. Some schools are relatively large for Howard County elementary schools and there are several schools in the east that are overcrowded.

Good Luck and if you are concerned with redistricting, you should live on top of the school, if not you could get redistricted. As to your question, Manor Woods - Marriotts Ridge school is highly regarded school.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
All the schools you listed are good schools in good areas. Manor Woods and Marriotts Ridge serve an upscale community of almost exclusively expensive single family homes. They're probably going to stay pretty stable. Ilchester and Howard are good schools serving nice family neighborhoods. I personally think Howard is one of the best all-around high schools in the county. Its demographic stats aren't slanted in any direction. The only complaint I remember hearing about Howard is that some parents wish it wasn't sandwiched between a highway and a commercial area.

ITA with the comments on FARM. FARM rates are a good predictor of test scores, but so much more goes into making a school good. I know someone who has been subbing in Hoco for several years and they prefer going to the schools with lower test scores. According to them, the staff is nicer and the students are more polite. My own kids went to a HoCo highest rated high school. It was fine, very good for the masses taking all AP classes starting freshman year, but I felt the non-AP kids always felt left out. The pressure to excel academically is very high. Btw, go to the school profiles on the hcpss website to get the actual FARM rates. Centennial Lane shows 3.8%, not 25.

Quote:
Is it too much to expect to be able to buy a newer house (built in the 90's at least) in a neighborhood with a good, safe school that's close to work?
I don't think you mentioned a price range, so it's hard to say. In Howard, you might have to give up the idea of a newer home. But there are some lovely older places in excellent school districts.

Quote:
We are not city people, so Ellicott City seems preferred over Columbia.
They are both suburban communities that look very similar.

You really might want to check out Carroll County. Depending on where in Columbia the job is, 30 minutes might be doable.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 AM

17 posts, read 45,538 times
Thanks everyone. You're right - I wasn't looking at the right site for the FARM data. I found the school profiles on the HOCO public school site. What's complicating things is that my mom was an elm school teacher in AA Co. schools and explained her experiences with test scores and schools. She said in her experience of over 35 years, AA Co. schools with scores in the low 90's were "hell holes." the higher the test scores, generally the better. It's not the education that differs - it's who your kids go to school with. Are there gangs? If so, how many? Will they be stabbled and bullied because they're a good student, etc. Unfortunately, it's become that way for AA Co.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,475 times
You could find bullying anywhere, and I have not heard of stabbings. I do not think you will find these issues in most of Howard schools because there are good and bad students, economic and racial diversity. Plus you have GT in grade 3. However, I do know someone who said that there kid did not want to seem smart, because he was being laughed at or called a brain and this was before grade 3. This was several years ago at Bryant Woods.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbaToast View Post
Thanks everyone. You're right - I wasn't looking at the right site for the FARM data. I found the school profiles on the HOCO public school site. What's complicating things is that my mom was an elm school teacher in AA Co. schools and explained her experiences with test scores and schools. She said in her experience of over 35 years, AA Co. schools with scores in the low 90's were "hell holes." the higher the test scores, generally the better. It's not the education that differs - it's who your kids go to school with. Are there gangs? If so, how many? Will they be stabbled and bullied because they're a good student, etc. Unfortunately, it's become that way for AA Co.
Bullied because they're a good student? Probably not. There are exceptional students in every school. Hoco is full of brainiac kids. But yes, there is a big difference with some of the schools, especially elementary schools. SmokeyLisa mentioned Bryant Woods Elem. This school has an almost 45% FARM percentage. I think that's the highest in the county. I wouldn't in good faith recommend that anybody move into that or a similar district without visiting the school and talking with people who go there. It might be fine, but you should be aware of what to expect.

Btw, one of the nicest county elementary schools is widely considered to be Thunder Hill, a Columbia school that does not draw from any upscale areas. Granted, it doesn't draw from any apartments either, but the single family homes are modest and are some of the oldest in Columbia. The excellent staff and parental involvement are key.

Melbatoast, if you're considering a home in the areas you mentioned, those schools are very good. Have you visited the area?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,745 times
Could someone please explain what FARM stands for? Every time I try to Google it, I keep getting information about agricultural farms. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Free and Reduced Meals.

Every school system I've lived in has a different acronym for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland