Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

frankly I couldn't care less if it's the "law" to go a speed limit. Laws are not black and white and are meant to be bent. Obeying all laws because they are laws is a backward way of thinking, and whether slow drivers realize it or not, THEY are the problem on interstates, especially if they are going slower than semi traffic. Then they just clog everything up and make things more dangerous.

I respect a common sense approach to things more then anything. I go 5-10 above in town but also coast to stoplights, I don't go full speed then slam on the brakes.. so I'm sure I irritate people. I anticipate light changes and if I know I won't make it I slow down ahead of time, pretty much got every light in town down. Not hard to do when a person is not texting and is paying attention.

I'm one who likes to avoid packs of cars, just like I dislike crowded places. More a personality thing though. Some people feel safety and security in numbers, not me. Where I live the traffic density is low enough to do this. It's not bumper to bumper madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
frankly I couldn't care less if it's the "law" to go a speed limit. Laws are not black and white and are meant to be bent. Obeying all laws because they are laws is a backward way of thinking, and whether slow drivers realize it or not, THEY are the problem on interstates, especially if they are going slower than semi traffic. Then they just clog everything up and make things more dangerous.

I respect a common sense approach to things more then anything. I go 5-10 above in town but also coast to stoplights, I don't go full speed then slam on the brakes.. so I'm sure I irritate people. I anticipate light changes and if I know I won't make it I slow down ahead of time, pretty much got every light in town down. Not hard to do when a person is not texting and is paying attention.

I'm one who likes to avoid packs of cars, just like I dislike crowded places. More a personality thing though. Some people feel safety and security in numbers, not me. Where I live the traffic density is low enough to do this. It's not bumper to bumper madness.
All interstates have more than one lane. If people don't like it, they should anticipate the slower vehicle and go around. It's the people who don't look ahead that cause cars to bunch up. I don't need to worry about making abrupt lane changes or slamming my brakes when I see an officer. I just stay to the right and go on about my business. They can go around if they're in that big of a hurry.

I don't care when another person needs to be somewhere. That is not my problem. I didn't tell them when to depart.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is wise advice. And it works well at Daytona too!
Hehehehe. I grew up watching "High Groove" Harry Gant in the Pontiac Skoal Bandit whipping around the top of the track, out of traffic, and into victory lane. Granted, his driving style was better suited for the short tracks than the super speedways, where you have to draft to keep up.

Still, the idea is the same, stay out of the pack, find your own groove.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
All interstates have more than one lane. If people don't like it, they should anticipate the slower vehicle and go around. It's the people who don't look ahead that cause cars to bunch up. I don't need to worry about making abrupt lane changes or slamming my brakes when I see an officer. I just stay to the right and go on about my business. They can go around if they're in that big of a hurry.

I don't care when another person needs to be somewhere. That is not my problem. I didn't tell them when to depart.
Exactly. Thank you for some sanity.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I just stay to the right and go on about my business.
That's right -- you stay to the right. So I don't think those of use who speed or are fairly aggressive have an issue with that.

Now if only people wouldn't creep in the far left lane of the Beltway on the frigging phone -- going 50 miles an hour. That IS a hazard. AND old folks too....far left lane of the beltway creeping at 45...come on.

WHY don't these drivers know to STAY TO THE RIGHT!!

These people **** me off, but I just shake my head and go around. (and TRY not to flip them the bird)

Whether it's an old person who can't see worth a damn, or someone on the phone -- NOT paying attention so you CAN ANTICIPATE what might happen is an issue.

How many times do I see:
-- cars in the CENTER lane -- pull into the RIGHT LANE -- right in front of a tractor-trailer that's practically on their tail, and was about to go by.
-- cars in a lane pull right up behind someone with blinkers on (I'm thinking: "You didn't see that car's blinkers from a quarter mile back, WHY are you pulling behind that car?" STUPID!
-- cars that wait too late to accelerate to pass and get in front of a car. I can be in another land or further back and see that whole will close before the car arrives and passes to get in. SO the whole closes, the car doesn't get in, and ends up hitting it's brakes, and now wanting to squeeze in somewhere.

If they had sped up from the beginning the whole wouldn't have closed, they'd have made it in.
Some people have NO spacial/speed judgement! It's amazing.

Last edited by selhars; 05-16-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's right -- you stay to the right. So I don't think those of use who speed or are fairly aggressive have an issue with that.

Now if only people wouldn't creep in the far left lane of the Beltway on the frigging phone -- going 50 miles an hour. That IS a hazard. AND old folks too....far left lane of the beltway creeping at 45...come on.

WHY don't these drivers know to STAY TO THE RIGHT!!

These people **** me off, but I just shake my head and go around. (and TRY not to flip them the bird)

Whether it's an old person who can't see worth a damn, or someone on the phone -- NOT paying attention so you CAN ANTICIPATE what might happen is an issue.

How many times do I see:
-- cars in the CENTER lane -- pull into the RIGHT LANE -- right in front of a tractor-trailer that's practically on their tail, and was about to go by.
-- cars in a lane pull right up behind someone with blinkers on (I'm thinking: "You didn't see that car's blinkers from a quarter mile back, WHY are you pulling behind that car?" STUPID!
-- cars that wait too late to accelerate to pass and get in front of a car. I can be in another land or further back and see that whole will close before the car arrives and passes to get in. SO the whole closes, the car doesn't get in, and ends up hitting it's brakes, and now wanting to squeeze in somewhere.

If they had sped up from the beginning the whole wouldn't have closed, they'd have made it in.
Some people have NO spacial/speed judgement! It's amazing.
Calm down. Road rage is just as annoying as the people you're talking about. *"Hole", not "whole"

Last edited by MDguy99; 05-16-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM

72 posts, read 151,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

It's true that people shouldn't be rude and aggressive on the roads. It's also the truth that you can't make yourself an obstacle or impediment to others on the highway; especially on a road that is designed to be an honest-to-goodness expressway. You do know that you can also be ticketed for being in the way?

Being on a highway going about your business is fine, but it's not your personal track to dither along on, anymore than it's the personal, private track of a road rage driver.

If you sometimes stubbornly linger in a left or center lane before moving right, I'll let you know it and get your attention. I won't sit behind you until you decide in Droopy Dog style to slooowly move over after 10-15 minutes; all so you can get a pat on the head from a cop for being a good little citizen......?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM

72 posts, read 151,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
frankly I couldn't care less if it's the "law" to go a speed limit. Laws are not black and white and are meant to be bent. Obeying all laws because they are laws is a backward way of thinking..................
And the hell of it is the laws are becoming more and more tyrannical. The slightest actions people take, that are often harmless, are now becoming the domain of the law. If you don't drive like a programmed drone they pounce on it.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM

318 posts, read 762,569 times
Aaaahh Mr. Wanderlust. I really don't go out of my way to pick on your posts but you just seem to invite it......

Before I explain how people really can be cited for being "in the way", tell me why you think they can, because I'm willing to bet your opinion and the applicable law are two different animals.

And for laughs, please do explain which laws are becoming the "domain" and what exactly we as "programmed drones" pounce on. I'm curious to know if my programming matches your stereotyping

Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
When you get into your car please don't bring your anger issues with you.
Ill admit it though it is fun seeing a grown 30 year old man drive like a 16 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland