Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The rest of the state doesn't have the (relative) population to matter.

Well, they might try nominating someone with a broader appeal...
but that hasn't seemed possible or at least not the inclination for a loooong time.
Theodore McKeldin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What used to be called "the middle of the road" is now considered the left culvert.
Charles Mathias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn_Beall,_Jr.
That's very true and it's killing the Republican party. They still have enough geriatric baby boomers and "Greatest Generation" people to keep Tea partiers barely in in a lot of marginal places but they're foolishly killing off the moderate wing and telling moderates "you're not welcome here" while Democrats still run many moderates and mild conservatives. Someone like Wayne Gilchrest who used to represent the Eastern Shore in the House before he got teabagged in the primary would be the best candidate but I doubt that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 PM

575 posts, read 554,774 times
Any chance Andy Harris runs for the GOP nod in 2016?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:00 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Any chance Andy Harris runs for the GOP nod in 2016?
No. As the Republican will likely lose, any current official will want to run in a year he's not up for reelection. That's assuming Harris gets reelected in both 2012 and 2014.

The above reason is why you see officials like Tony O'Donnell (R-Calvert/St. Mary's) running this year against Hoyer. If he loses he still has 2 years until he stands for reelection to his House of Delegates seat and if he wins (won't happen) then he ran the table.

The only reason that Ehrlich gave up his House seat to run for Governor was because the 2002 redistricting put him in a district he couldn't win.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Hopefully someone who's fiscally responsible, believes in lower taxes to stimulate business (basically, just copy Virginia), supports equal marriage rights, will reform the criminal justice system so that flawed people can be reformed while evil animals have no chance of getting out, doesn't neglect the rest of the state in favor of two or three counties, supports CCW, shoot I'm running out of ideas. Don't care what party they're in, in fact if they're independent that's a plus.

Of course, none of those will happen. We'll either get a leftist like Owe'Malley who I might agree with on social issues but disagree with on fiscal issues, or we'll get a religious right winger who will slash taxes and spending but also repeal gay marriage and let their holy book be their guide.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hopefully someone who's fiscally responsible, believes in lower taxes to stimulate business (basically, just copy Virginia), supports equal marriage rights, will reform the criminal justice system so that flawed people can be reformed while evil animals have no chance of getting out, doesn't neglect the rest of the state in favor of two or three counties, supports CCW, shoot I'm running out of ideas.

Of course, none of those will happen. We'll either get a leftist like Owe'Malley who I might agree with on social issues but disagree with on fiscal issues, or we'll get a religious right winger who will slash taxes but also repeal gay marriage and let their holy book be their guide.

And your basis for that is what, exactly?

The Governor can't repeal gay marriage, by the way, although a repeal referendum is on this year's general election ballot along with ones on the MD Dream Act, the recent redistricting and, presumably, gambling.

The reality is that the Republicans have nothing but sacrificial lambs to offer up for Governor for the foreseeable future. Ehrlich was a fluke helped along by kathleen KENNEDY townsend's lack of qualifications and the redistricting that was openly touted as being a way to get Republicans out of the Congressional delegation.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,954 times
The current mayor of Baltimore. We know she's "on the bus" because NOmalley stood next to her when the Grand Prix was announced. And, uh, she brought the Grand Prix to Baltimore.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
The current mayor of Baltimore. We know she's "on the bus" because NOmalley stood next to her when the Grand Prix was announced. And, uh, she brought the Grand Prix to Baltimore.
I think she will be a future Governor but not the next one. She is doing a pretty good job from what I see looking in from Central/Western MD, Much better than the one she replaced

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hopefully someone who's fiscally responsible, believes in lower taxes to stimulate business (basically, just copy Virginia), supports equal marriage rights, will reform the criminal justice system so that flawed people can be reformed while evil animals have no chance of getting out, doesn't neglect the rest of the state in favor of two or three counties, supports CCW, shoot I'm running out of ideas. Don't care what party they're in, in fact if they're independent that's a plus.

Of course, none of those will happen. We'll either get a leftist like Owe'Malley who I might agree with on social issues but disagree with on fiscal issues, or we'll get a religious right winger who will slash taxes and spending but also repeal gay marriage and let their holy book be their guide.
No way we'll get a religious right winger. There aren't any of those in the Democratic Party! The problem with Gay Marriage is the Black churches. If they held the Democrat line it would not be in trouble. I don't count them as 'religious right wingers'

Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The rest of the state doesn't have the (relative) population to matter.

Well, they might try nominating someone with a broader appeal...
but that hasn't seemed possible or at least not the inclination for a loooong time.
Theodore McKeldin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What used to be called "the middle of the road" is now considered the left culvert.
Charles Mathias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn_Beall,_Jr.
You got that right. There are some of us 'Mac Mathias' Republicans that wonder where our party went. Of course the only reason that Bartlett won originally was because a conservative Democrat (Bev Byron) lost to a viscous last minute Left wing campaign in the primary.

I've started wondering if I could do more by changing parties and trying to drag the Democrats back to the middle. Especially since I'm now in a Democrat Congressional district

Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM

575 posts, read 554,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
No way we'll get a religious right winger. There aren't any of those in the Democratic Party! The problem with Gay Marriage is the Black churches. If they held the Democrat line it would not be in trouble. I don't count them as 'religious right wingers'
Black people can be very hypocritical at times. We to were once denied the right to marry and yet we sit here today and deny others the right all because a pastor tell us too. I swear it's like there are some of us who can't think for themselves w/o the church telling them how to.

Last edited by InvaderBryce; 07-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland