Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 AM

478 posts, read 809,794 times

Advertisements

I realize that what I'm about to say is opinion and certainly open for debate, but if school-age children and education are big factors, I would caution a prespective outsider from moving to lower Delmarva.

Here's the thing: Delmarva is a good place to retire if you like the scenery & boating/water/beach lifestyle. For people in the money earning/family raising phase of their lives it just doesn't offer the kinds of opportunities that you find elsewhere. There are significantly fewer options for parents to advance their careers and earn more money without moving. The opportunities for gifted students to pursue their interests in music, art, STEM, or other activities beyond an intermediate level are limited and require long travel to the Bmore/DC or Philly region usually. The social circles that children develop tend to be much more local, therefore narrowing the career, lifestyle, and cultural options that they are exposed to when growing up. People are generally friendly in the area, but it's definitely not a culture that encourages much in the way of ambition. It's also a little harder to meet people and develop friends as an outsider because so many locals keep to the social circles they developed through family ties and grade school.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that those things discussed above do not exist on Delmarva, only that they are less accessible, fewer in number, and unfortunately often not of the same quality as what you'd find near the metropolitan areas of the east coast. This shouldn't be a surprise to someone who moves here, but as a previous poster pointed out the 'Norman Rockwell' concept of smalltown USA still exists in the minds of prospective residents and that's what I'm warning against.

If you really want a beach/coastal lifestyle but without some of these downsides, there are other areas to look. The Virginia tidewater near Norfolk/VA beach for example (also offering a fairly low cost of living, although higher than Delmarva). Coastal Jersey, especially farther north closer to the NYC metro. Parts of Long Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. Houston, TX (nearby Galveston is on the beach). South Florida. Many cities on the west coast. I also think the Great Lakes are badly underrated in this regard: look into Cleveland, Rochester, Chicagoland, Wayne county MI, etc. A lake isn't the ocean, true, but there are still beaches and water activities available.

I admit that I don't like the beach so maybe my opinion is biased, but I don't see the perks a beach lifestyle offers outweighing the points I describe above concerning the overall quality of life that a region offers for working, family-aged residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
ktaadin, I've lived in Salisbury and OC and I can firmly tell you they deserve a separate discussion.

The OC/West OC/Berlin/Selbyville scene socially, politically and even economically is probably more diverse, stronger, and more entry-level friendly than anywhere on the Delmarva. Even if you don't work in the tourism industry. Its also a much better place to live one's life, rather than be born or die in. I had my doubts too, but after moving here I can say with certainty that the OC 'region' is kinda a mini metro area in itself.

But maybe this kool-aid is just too damn good.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM

478 posts, read 809,794 times
Agreed that OC/Berlin/coastal Delaware are distinct from the Salisbury area and probably better for transplants, but I feel that my fundamental points still apply to the OC region as compared to the larger metro areas to the north and west that many transplants relocate to Delmarva from. It's a matter of having realistic expectations, and knowing what you're getting yourself into. This kind of thing should not surprise people who do their research, but I recall seeing many transplants come here and then within a few years lament how things that they take for granted near DC or Baltimore or Philly (or even places like Frederick MD or Richmond VA) are either not available or very limited on the shore.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
I'm from the Salisbury area, and you can't really compare the two. Compared to Baltimore, the crime isn't as bad. However, for it's size, it's relatively high. I would say Salisbury is a pretty terrible town. It is mostly comprised of lower class trash. There is nothing to do. The high schools are not up to Maryland standard. Culturally, there is nothing here. The only positive I see is that there is never any traffic, and it's a relaxed environment. I'm really late on this thread, but oh well.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Don't order the steak...

Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
The slandering of the city is so not needed.

Lower class trash??? Not the whole town is like that . I live in PG County and have visited Charles County, Calvert, and parts of AA County. I have seen the same "lower class trash" far too well in those areas as well. Hell I was just in Cumberland for work Wednesday and Salisbury is NYC compared to that town.

I grew up in Salisbury and my family lived in the suburbs where the avg home is between 300k-400k, I went to the "subpar" schools, and graduated with honors was was accepted to very good universities and graduated with honors and have an MPA so that subpar school education aka the foundation must not been that bad.

No there isnt anythng to do, but what is your version to do?? There are 2 universities in the area and there are social scenes, bars, and clubs there as well. Same as DC.

Although I wouldnt move back as I am a young professional and love being close to DC, it is good to visit my family who still resides there remember... I go to the social functions and scenes and have just a great time as I would if I didnt come down to visit.

Never forget where u came from.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:49 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
The slandering of the city is so not needed.

Lower class trash??? Not the whole town is like that . I live in PG County and have visited Charles County, Calvert, and parts of AA County. I have seen the same "lower class trash" far too well in those areas as well. Hell I was just in Cumberland for work Wednesday and Salisbury is NYC compared to that town.

I grew up in Salisbury and my family lived in the suburbs where the avg home is between 300k-400k, I went to the "subpar" schools, and graduated with honors was was accepted to very good universities and graduated with honors and have an MPA so that subpar school education aka the foundation must not been that bad.

No there isnt anythng to do, but what is your version to do?? There are 2 universities in the area and there are social scenes, bars, and clubs there as well. Same as DC.

Although I wouldnt move back as I am a young professional and love being close to DC, it is good to visit my family who still resides there remember... I go to the social functions and scenes and have just a great time as I would if I didnt come down to visit.

Never forget where u came from.
Back at you, practice what you attempt to preach. I've stuck up for your town more times than I can recall against people claiming Salisbury is nothing but a low class slum. I guess the feeling of camaraderie isn't mutual.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Back at you "bro," Practice what you attempt to preach.
Didnt mean to so call slander, I was just saying I seen the so called "low class trash" the other posted.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Didnt mean to so call slander, I was just saying I seen the so called "low class trash" the other posted.
And you saw some of it in my town, and decided to throw us under the bus?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
And you saw some of it in my town, and decided to throw us under the bus?
not at all... I was trying to inform her that it isnt just one town... I by no means was trying to offend. I do apologize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland