Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times

Advertisements

Gov. Martin O'Malley rings up $9.5 billion in new taxes | WashingtonExaminer.com

Here is a list of the tax and fee increases under Gov. O'Malley:

1. Handgun licensing fees and other firearm registration fee

2. Electricity rate increase due to higher expense of power produced by offshore wind farm

3. Vehicle registration surcharge (Transportation package)

4. Maryland Transit Authority fare increase (Transportation package)

5. Indexing gas tax to increase with the consumer price index (Transportation package)

6. Applying wholesale tax to gasoline sales (Transportation package)

7. Income tax increase on Marylanders earning more than $100,000

8. Reduction of personal income exemption for Marylanders earning more than $100,000

9. Recordation tax applied to indemnity mortgages

10. Increase tobacco tax rate from 15 to 70 percent for certain products

11. Double death certificate fee

12. Repeal of the sales tax exemption on penalty charges assessed on the late return of gas cylinders

13. Double Bay Restoration fee ("Flush tax")

14. Require counties to collect Storm Water Management Fee ("Rain tax")

15. Increase Weights and Measures Registration fee

16. Double Lead Poisoning Prevention Fund Fee

17. New fee for major modifications under the Wetland Water Way Program

18. Hospital assessment

19. Alcoholic beverage sales tax increase from 6 to 9 percent

20. Vehicle dealer processing charge

21. Double vanity plate fee

22. Double vehicle certificate of title fee

23. Out of State Attorney Admission fee

24. Increase in contractor licensing and renewal fees

25. Double birth certificate fee

26. Eliminates exemption of premium tax on worker's compensation

27. Bridge and tunnel toll increases

28. Fishing license and registration fees

29. Speed cameras in school and work zones

30. Increase the top marginal tax ratefrom 5.5 to 6.25 percent ("Millionaire's tax"), since expired

31. Computer services tax

32. New income tax marginal rates from 4.75 to 5.5 percent

33. Increase sales tax from 5 to 6 percent

34. Increase state corporate income tax from 7 to 8.25 percent

35. Increase cigarette tax from $1 to $2 per pack

36. Increase vehicle titling tax from $23 to $25

37. Vehicle excise tax increase

38. Electronic gambling tip jar tax

39. Real property transfer tax

40. Elimination of Captive Real Estate Investment Trusts

The article provides that Ehrlich, the prior Governor, approved 31 tax and fee increases. That's a total of 71 tax and fee increases over 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
#27 is one that really gets my goat. It seem like in less than a decade tolls have tripled or even quadrupled.

The rest are terrible as well. Property transfer tax? Oh so now buying a home is going to get more expensive? Just another reason to look out west (which I've been doing).

Rain and sewer taxes are pretty bad (and silly). Seriously it's the dang fertilizers and pesticides coming from farms. Can't we go organic like the libs want anyway? It would without a doubt be healthier and would probably be a more sustainable way to do agriculture anyway.

#1 is terrible, but then I'm a veteran and I'm pretty sure exempt (need to look into that again), but I'm still against it because I believe gun ownership for honest citizens (non-thug citizens of course) is a right that should not be infringed upon.

I actually agree with higher taxes on tobacco products. If I'm going to have to pay for someone else's lung cancer (and it looks like I am already) they might as well contribute.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Wow promoting what a terrible governor a man with 4 months left on the job is, what an amazingly constructive use of time.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
Thank goodness that guy is about to leave office.

Although Anthony Brown is not going to be any better if he succeeds, considering he's O'malley's right hand man. The only thing these taxes and fees are doing is driving businesses and taxpayers out of state.

The rain tax is absurd. I remember making a post in the Anthony Brown thread on this forum about it and someone from NC told me "we have something like that in NC. Deal with it". The six bay states were told they had to take some action, not necessarily a tax. That's just the action Mr. Owe Malley chose.

I know a few people who have been hit hard by the toll increases. I've known several coworkers who have come and gone who live in Dundalk. They work as waitresses and lose another $3.20 out of their hard earned money to pay the key bridge toll. (The decrease comes from the EZ pass key bridge plan)

Also, is the fact that almost half of your state's residents would leave the state if they could something to be proud of as a governor?

Welcome to Maryland, the land of the fee and home of the tax.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I wonder why O'Malley never explored cutting spending instead of raising taxes?? Yet another example of why liberalism is the scourge of this nation.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I wonder why O'Malley never explored cutting spending instead of raising taxes?? Yet another example of why liberalism is the scourge of this nation.
O'Malley inherited a $28.8 billion budget with a $1.7 billion deficit. His final budget was $39.2 billion, a 36 percent increase over his two terms.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post

Rain and sewer taxes are pretty bad (and silly). Seriously it's the dang fertilizers and pesticides coming from farms. Can't we go organic like the libs want anyway? It would without a doubt be healthier and would probably be a more sustainable way to do agriculture anyway.
Actually residential use of fertilizers is a much worse problem than ag use. Farmers have to have documentation of all fertilizer use while homeowners just throw tons of fertilizer almost at random on their yards with no monitering.

If farmers stopped using modern fertilizers productivity would drop severely and their ability to be the source of food for a growing population would be at risk.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
O'Malley inherited a $28.8 billion budget with a $1.7 billion deficit. His final budget was $39.2 billion, a 36 percent increase over his two terms.
That doesn't answer the question.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Actually residential use of fertilizers is a much worse problem than ag use. Farmers have to have documentation of all fertilizer use while homeowners just throw tons of fertilizer almost at random on their yards with no monitering.

If farmers stopped using modern fertilizers productivity would drop severely and their ability to be the source of food for a growing population would be at risk.
No monitoring is needed. Residential-use fertilizer sold in Maryland is phosphoruous free and with reduced nitrogen, by law, to protect water sources. You are misinformed.

http://mda.maryland.gov/pages/fertilizer.aspx

Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's exactly what Maryland's problem is.

In addition to lowering taxes, some budget cuts and waste reduction is necessary.

I have a budget. Everyone else reading this almost certainly has a budget. We have to stick to our budgets or horrible consequences ensue. I think politicians need to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: