Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

So now that we pretty much decided we don't wanna be part of the South, why don't we go ahead and start discussing WHY Maryland is Northeastern.

You can't use arguments like geography, because we all know that if the Mason-Dixon line argument is irrelevant, then the idea that MD borders Pennsylvania and Delaware makes it Northeastern is also irrelevant. Besides, if you extend the east-west aspect of the Mason-Dixon line all the way to California, Maryland pretty much is in the lower half of the US. So the geography argument is irrelevant from any side of the argument.

Now, I don't want your argument to be why Maryland is not Southern. I'm not here to discuss the Southern identity of the state by any means. If you think it's Northeastern, then argue for that. I see no reason for arguing based on a negative position to try and prove a positive.

So, with this being said, let's bring up our best arguments for why Maryland is NORTHEASTERN. You can argue about anything, and explain why. Simply saying "it's Northeastern and you won't convince me otherwise" shows that you have nothing to say. So, I ask you, how is Maryland a Northeastern state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 02:02 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
It's Northeastern because of the way the political system is set up, lots of small independent towns in charge of their own destinies with weak County based government.

The same with the very small and local school systems based on a municipality instead of the County.

Don't forget to include the bottom up educational bureaucracy where Maryland State Department of Education can't require systems to adopt Voluntary State Curricula or Common Core State Standards.

Maybe include the fact that localities don't have to have Legislative approval to enact local laws.

Maybe the state run liquor system that exists instead of each County having its own liquor board granting licenses.

(For those who aren't familiar with Maryland, none of the above are true of the state but are true of Northeastern states)

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-01-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 02:54 PM

56 posts, read 79,657 times
Maryland is definitely a lower northeastern state get over it. Someone from New England with the world's most ugliest accent known to man!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Who cares??????????

Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
(For those who aren't familiar with Maryland, none of the above are true of the state but are true of Northeastern states)
I sure am glad you added this. I thought you had bumped your head for a minute.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Does this make the case?

The Census Bureau just released a new set of state population estimates. These estimates revealed a definite pattern: there are definitely two different regions within the United States, each with their own pattern of growth. For simplicity’s sake, I’m calling these “America1” and “America2.” Neither is meant to be pejorative, but I think these labels reflect the role these regions will take in American life going forward.

For clarity’s sake, in this definition, America1 is largely made up of the Northeast, the Midwest, the Mississippi Valley, the Northern Plains and Alaska. America2 is the coastal Southeast from the Mason Dixon line south, as well as Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama, as well as Texas, much of the West and Hawaii.

Read more: Adam Carstens

Maybe not. That guy lumps Maryland into the Southeast.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I think Maryland could pass for a Northeastern state. It does have some extremely mild southern characteristics, but I think it has more in common with northeastern states, especially with regard to wealth, housing, politics and the lack of southern accents.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Does this make the case?

The Census Bureau just released a new set of state population estimates. These estimates revealed a definite pattern: there are definitely two different regions within the United States, each with their own pattern of growth. For simplicity’s sake, I’m calling these “America1” and “America2.” Neither is meant to be pejorative, but I think these labels reflect the role these regions will take in American life going forward.

For clarity’s sake, in this definition, America1 is largely made up of the Northeast, the Midwest, the Mississippi Valley, the Northern Plains and Alaska. America2 is the coastal Southeast from the Mason Dixon line south, as well as Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama, as well as Texas, much of the West and Hawaii.

Read more: Adam Carstens

Maybe not. That guy lumps Maryland into the Southeast.
Don't go by the feds. Their departments don't talk to each other. The National Archives says that Maryland is MidAtlantic.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

857 posts, read 975,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't go by the feds. Their departments don't talk to each other. The National Archives says that Maryland is MidAtlantic.
Lived here most of my life and always considered Maryland to be Mid-Atlantic....but what do I know.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think Maryland could pass for a Northeastern state. It does have some extremely mild southern characteristics, but I think it has more in common with northeastern states, especially with regard to wealth, housing, politics and the lack of southern accents.
Wealth: So, poor cities like Hartford, CT and Camden NJ are not Northeastern?
Housing: Architecture, you mean? This I agree is a Northeastern commonality.
Politics: The large amount of Blacks and Federal workers in the state make it a hotbed for Democrats, yes
Lack of Southern accents: So everywhere except the South is now the Northeast? I'm from the Midwest originally, and we too lack Southern accents.

I do find this funny, though. MD has a lack of MANY accents, not just Southern. The Southern periphery of the state sounds Southern, but these days, Whites in Baltimore and DC sound General American, NOT Northeastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland