Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 68,996 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow City-Data'ers!,
I'm wondering a good farmer's market within 10 miles of Odenton, MD.

I've seen a few places like:
David's Natural Market (Gambrills)
Royal Farms (Odenton)
Piney Orchard Market (Odenton)

which places, whether included above or not offer good value for produce and fruit like: Strawberries, Bananas, Apple, Grapefruit, Spinach, Lettuce, Tomato, etc.

My girlfriend and I typically buy at Wegman's (since we lack a good farmers market in PA) , but the Wegman's has bad prices.

Any ideas?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd751 View Post
My girlfriend and I typically buy at Wegman's (since we lack a good farmers market in PA) , but the Wegman's has bad prices.
Since at this time of year, everyone is importing produce from California or Latin America, why not just buy at the cheapest local grocery store? I doubt that the farmer's markets would have better prices. If you want organic, even the grocery stores have it.

In the summer, I'd suggest this place on Sundays in Burtonsville: http://burtonsvillemarket.org/

Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Like the PP said, you aren't going to find much this time of year. You also aren't ever going to find a Farmer's Market carrying local bananas or grapefruit; just read sale brochures for those, or you may find better prices at H-Mart or Lotte.

Howard County has Farmer's Markets, but the number of vendors at them varies. We've found the Thursday one at East Columbia Library best: Howard County Farmers Markets During the season Gorman Farms has good products: Gorman Farm |

You might want to look at Relay Foods. If you pick up from one of their sites you don't pay the delivery charge: https://www.relayfoods.com/welcome

Old 01-03-2015, 11:01 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Yeah, Farmer's Markets are pretty much over for the year. You might have a couple individual farmers (well, orchardists) above Frederick who still have apples. I know there one guy between Gettysburg and Carlisle in PA who's open pretty much year round with his apples.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
You also aren't ever going to find a Farmer's Market carrying local bananas or grapefruit; just read sale brochures for those, or you may find better prices at H-Mart or Lotte....
Good suggestion. They are Korean chains, but people of every nationality shop there for bargains. The H-Mart in Catonsville brought in crates of fruit for sale.

You might also check for schools which run fund-raisers this time of year selling crates of Florida citrus. I remember the Seventh-Day-Adventist schools especially did this.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
I go to the Dutch County Farmer's Market in Laurel, MD:

Dutch Country Farmer's Market, Laurel, Maryland - Fresh Foods from PA Dutch Country

Dutch Country Farmers Market - Laurel, MD | Yelp

But it's only open between Thu-Sat and parking is nearly impossible.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You also have the Amish market in the Harbor Center outside Annapolis (south on RTE 2) that's also open Thurs.-Sat. Parking is similar.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,233 times
During the growing season, I like the farmer's market right off Riva Rd in Annapolis. Large number of vendors with a diverse selection of offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland