Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

When Maryland first issued the War of 1812 license plates back in 2010, it was said that it was to be a "temporary" issue, lasting until June 2015. After that, it was said that the plates would be changed to something else, presumably a return to the old style with the state flag in the middle.

Well, June 2015 has come and gone, and the prisoners are still cranking out the War of 1812 plates. Does anyone know if this is our permanent plate now, or will we be getting something else sometime soon?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
They have produced the plates until June of this year. That doesnt mean that they will stop issuing the plates. Once the plates are issues, they will revert back to the traditional white plates or issue a new design.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 6,097 times
I'm not a fan of the War of 1812 plates, which is why I opted to pay the fee for Chesapeake Bay plates.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 AM

450 posts, read 798,850 times
I don't know anyone who gives a rat's ass about the War of 1812.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:50 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
I don't know anyone who gives a rat's ass about the War of 1812.
I know some people who like the license plate though. I don't, but some do.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if MD had a plain, yet distinctive colored license plate like Vermont (green), New Mexico (yellow/turquoise), or even New York (yellow). I admit the yellow MD tag's that I sometimes see on vehicles I think are pretty nice.

I do wish we had more graphic plates to choose from like they do in Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:31 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal is my name View Post
I'm not a fan of the War of 1812 plates, which is why I opted to pay the fee for Chesapeake Bay plates.
Same here, it's worth the extra $20 IMO

Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
While MD doesn't have many different plate styles (the base, the Bay and the Agriculture) it does have about 600 or 700 organizational plates with distinct designs and numbers in addition to about 50 non-logo organizational ones.

Specialty Plates

Old 10-24-2015, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
* * *How can the MVA, being a State Agency, allow or deny the issuing of a Group's specialty plate to someone?*
* * I understand, on a basic level that only people who are part of a group that has a specialty plate should have one. However, from a legal standpoint, How can the MVA as a government agency get involved as to whether a person "Qualifies", for a Group's plate? I do make an exception, though it could always be someone driving the car, for certain groups that are generally given a courtesy by the Police. For example, a Doctor, Volunteer Fire Fighter, Law Enforcement, Judge, State Politician, etc. that we know, (or at least I do, & I've confirmed it as best I could that it's true), are given a lot more leeway, as long as they're not being unsafe, reckless, or causing other Drivers issues. If an Officer is monitoring speed via Radar, & they clock someone doing 25 miles over the posted limit on a highway (or say, doing 88 on a 65mph road), they'll pursue them to write them a ticket, but when they get close enough & see the "LE" (It maybe " LEO", I forget which it is) on the plate, they generally won't "Light them up", as they consider other cops to be "Brothers" & they aren't going to ticket their "Brother."
* * The other, which is a close 2nd, if not the same, is a Paramedic, who probably has a Volunteer Fire Fighter plate. As it was explained to me by a Police Officer, being a Cop is a dangerous job, & if you get seriously hurt, shot, crash in a high speed chase, etc., do you really want the Paramedic that comes to help you, to be the person that you wrote a ticket to the day before? Of course you'll get treated the same way even if you did ticket them, so I think it's more of a Professional Courtesy thing, as Police & Fire work together quite often.*
* * Anyway, sorry for the rant & back the original reason I decided to write, & hope someone knows why & answers my question. It seems to me that from a legal perspective, once a State approves & issues a certain license plate, they shouldn't have the right to decide who can and can't get it. It seems like some form of discrimination by the State. The government shouldn't nor ever should look (without a very good reason, which I hardly think applies here) to see which Groups, Associations, Schools, Religion, etc., a person does or doesn't belong too.
* * I'm sure I've made it sound a lot more complicated than it is (I've been know to do that on occasion) but I'm not that good at writing things like this, if I spoke it'd be clear in 2 minutes. If anyone knows & replies with an answer, I greatly appreciate it. Also, if I wrote this so poorly that my question isn't clear, Please respond saying so, & I'll try my best to re-write it in a clearer & shorter way. Thanks!

p.s. It's been quite a few years now, but interesting none the less. My Uncle & Aunt we going out of the country for a few weeks & asked if I could drive them to the Airport as they didn't want to park there & pay for so long (3 weeks or so). Of course I said yes, & while I had my own car, they packed & loaded their car the night before so I drove them in their car, when I dropped them off they said I could use their car while their away.
Somehow (I guess it was, he'd been there a long-time, had a fairly high position, & had a lot of contacts from all that time working there), my Uncle who works for the State of Maryland, but his area has nothing to do with Law Enforcement, pulled off a good move.
He must of known somebody & asked a favor because he was able to get "LE" plates for his & his wife's cars. I had noticed it & asked him if it really helps. He said it definitely does as long as your not driving crazy. Needless to say, I drove his car while they were away instead of mine. On the way back from the Airport I got on I-95 & I-695 & moved into the left lane & just drove. I didn't race like mad but I drove way faster than I normally would, especially in the left lane. The entire 3 weeks I did that, I rolled stop signs when I could see it was clear, went through Yellows that were Red by the time I entered the intersection, etc. I'm a safe driver & only did things like these when I was sure it was safe &/or no-one was around. I'm sure in those 3 weeks I was seen doing something wrong by the Police at least once, & probably more. But, I was never stopped & even given a warning, it was a lot of fun & liberating to basically take the Traffic Laws as a "Suggestion" instead of a "Must". So while I can't say 100% that LE plates work, I'd say it's a pretty high percent that it does, as driving the way I did for 3 weeks & not getting stopped, I can't imagine in all that time & driving, that I was never once seen by a Cop, & that if I was in my car I probably would of gotten a ticket, if not many over those 3 weeks!

Last edited by MarkLo; 10-24-2015 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Added Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland