Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Born and raised in Maryland moved in junior high to Michigan, which is nice too. However, I miss the beautiful rolling patchwork farmland and smooth mountains along the Pennsylvania border. All of the history locations nearby to central Maryland from Gettysburg to Sharpsburg, to Harpers' Ferry, to Baltimore stuff and of course Washington DC and Philadelphia close by.

Who can forget the bay and the ocean as well.

I am going to stay in Michigan for my first year of college for family reasons, but wish I could head back.

Maryland my Maryland.

P.S. I don't miss the ticks, seems like I got in trouble a lot as a kid for running in the fields during the tick times.
Earlier this summer, I spent a considerable amount of time in both Maryland and Michigan.

Despite having a colder climate, Michigan has many more charming, traditional small towns than Maryland. Because Maryland was not initially settled by Yankees and historically had an agrarian-based economy that was largely composed of rural homesteads, traditional towns in Maryland are scarce, even in rural areas of the state. The scarcity of charming small towns in Maryland is further exacerbated by very limited municipal incorporation in state relative to its total land area and population. For example, Baltimore and Carroll counties do not have any incorporated municipalities within their boundaries. Although fewer incorporated municipalities leads to less government spending, which is a good thing (in my opinion), there is no denying that this utter lack of municipal incorporation fosters diminished senses of community and place in Maryland.

Unfortunately, the above-referenced issue is only compounded by the fact that more than half of the Maryland’s population was born outside of the state. In 2012, only 47% of Maryland residents were born in the state. Among highly populous states on the Eastern Seaboard (i.e., states with two or more million residents, which excludes Delaware, New Hampshire and Vermont), only Florida has a lower share of native-born residents than Maryland. Michigan, on the other hand, has one of the highest percentages of native-born residents of any state in the U.S., clocking in at 77% in 2012. Coupled with Yankee-style developmental and governmental patterns, there is no denying that state and local pride greater pervades the air in the True North relative to the Old Line State.

In my perspective, another major difference between Maryland and Michigan is that Maryland’s population is only half-white. For the record, in 2018, the non-Hispanic white share of Maryland’s population fell to 50.5%. Therefore, Maryland is on the verge of becoming a majority-minority state. When the 2020 U.S. Census is conducted on April 1, 2020, it is very likely that non-Hispanic whites will account for less than half of the Maryland’s population. As of 2018, approximately 79.3% of Michigan’s population is non-Hispanic white. And as someone who was born and raised in New England, I found the demographics of Michigan to be much more preferable. Of course, your mileage may vary. But just know, when you cross into Maryland from Pennsylvania, it appears as if every single person is non-white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Although fewer incorporated municipalities leads to less government spending, which is a good thing (in my opinion),
there is no denying that this utter lack of municipal incorporation fosters diminished senses of community and place in Maryland.
I take the opposite view. When I moved down here to NC where it seems like every time somebody had an ox gored they broke off
and started another town ... often little more than a crossroads near a rail head with some degree of authority to annex. On the whole
it does NOT work well politically or economically with most of that 'sense of community' you refer to being just one more basis

for antagonistic infighting and one-upsmanship.

Quote:
In 2012, only 47% of Maryland residents were born in the state.
Interesting factoid but call me suspicious unless your "Maryland' is limited to the DC area.
Do your sources show the numbers from other years over the last century or so for comparison?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Interesting factoid but call me suspicious unless your "Maryland' is limited to the DC area. Do your sources show the numbers from other years over the last century or so for comparison?
According to the infographic in the below-captioned New York Times article, it appears the percentage of Maryland’s population that was born in the state has hovered around 50% for the past 35-40 years, which is a considerable period of time (in my opinion). Even prior to the 1980, Maryland was not overrun with natives.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/....html#Maryland

While Washington, D.C. metropolitan area counties, especially Montgomery and Prince George’s, have far fewer Maryland-born residents than counties in outlying areas of the state, you may observe from the below-captioned cartographic analyses that, even in Baltimore metropolitan area and Eastern Shore counties, the percentages of Maryland-born residents hover at or below the national average for U.S counties, which is 31%. For the record, no county in Maryland sits at 10% or more percentage points above the U.S. average, which is in sharp contrast to New York and Philadelphia metropolitan area counties.

Additionally, the below-captioned maps further illustrate my previous point that mostly all Michigan counties have very high percentages of residents who were born in that state.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/metricm...rgent-map/amp/

Source: https://amp.businessinsider.com/stat...natives-2013-9

Old 09-16-2019, 03:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
I live 20 miles from the Maryland PA line. I challenge anybody who drives down 83 to tell me once they cross the Maryland line everybody becomes black. Or it seems that way.
Maryland can be expensive. That's what can drive people out. Per-capita it has the wealthiest population of any state. (Don't just google it, because the list is not correct at the top of the page) Plus it's surrounded by states that make commuting from one state to another easy. (If you like to do that)
The first map shows much of the DC region being dark purple because it's the capitol of the wealthiest country on earth. It's expensive. Very pricey. Up were I live that changes in northern Baltimore County, as it dose in much of the state once you get out of the DC Metro.
JOBS ARE HERE. MANY HIGH PAYING JOBS. It's one of the states with the highest education rates.
Many move because of cost. You can prefer Michigan, and you can freeze up there to in the winter. And still roast in the summer.

I am trying to figure out how this turned into a Michigan thread. I have a guess though.

Oha, and whatever his name said that Maryland seems half white......Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I am still trying to figure out the above posters reasoning.

Last edited by Yac; 09-17-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Earlier this summer, I spent a considerable amount of time in both Maryland and Michigan.

Despite having a colder climate, Michigan has many more charming, traditional small towns than Maryland. Because Maryland was not initially settled by Yankees and historically had an agrarian-based economy that was largely composed of rural homesteads, traditional towns in Maryland are scarce, even in rural areas of the state. The scarcity of charming small towns in Maryland is further exacerbated by very limited municipal incorporation in state relative to its total land area and population. For example, Baltimore and Carroll counties do not have any incorporated municipalities within their boundaries. Although fewer incorporated municipalities leads to less government spending, which is a good thing (in my opinion), there is no denying that this utter lack of municipal incorporation fosters diminished senses of community and place in Maryland.

Unfortunately, the above-referenced issue is only compounded by the fact that more than half of the Maryland’s population was born outside of the state. In 2012, only 47% of Maryland residents were born in the state. Among highly populous states on the Eastern Seaboard (i.e., states with two or more million residents, which excludes Delaware, New Hampshire and Vermont), only Florida has a lower share of native-born residents than Maryland. Michigan, on the other hand, has one of the highest percentages of native-born residents of any state in the U.S., clocking in at 77% in 2012. Coupled with Yankee-style developmental and governmental patterns, there is no denying that state and local pride greater pervades the air in the True North relative to the Old Line State.

In my perspective, another major difference between Maryland and Michigan is that Maryland’s population is only half-white. For the record, in 2018, the non-Hispanic white share of Maryland’s population fell to 50.5%. Therefore, Maryland is on the verge of becoming a majority-minority state. When the 2020 U.S. Census is conducted on April 1, 2020, it is very likely that non-Hispanic whites will account for less than half of the Maryland’s population. As of 2018, approximately 79.3% of Michigan’s population is non-Hispanic white. And as someone who was born and raised in New England, I found the demographics of Michigan to be much more preferable. Of course, your mileage may vary. But just know, when you cross into Maryland from Pennsylvania, it appears as if every single person is non-white.
You mean Howard County.

The "born in state" stats are skewed because our state is so small, geographically narrow. The panhandles of every state score lower on this margin, even in very rural areas (like Potomac Highlands of WV, and Western Maryland.) Border counties score lower too. I agree that overall, large parts of Maryland are transplant dominated. That isn't true for some of the light orange/light blue on the third link. Western Maryland is only "transplant heavy" if you include our neighbors and culture kin from right over the river in WV as "transplants."

Like so many posts here, you pigeon hole the state based on the metro regions. You can come out my way and find all the small towns with their own elected officials you want. 78% white would be "diverse" out my way too. Point being, there is a part of MD for just about everyone's taste.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:59 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:

Get away from the Baltimore /Washington/Annapolis triangle

Westminster, Manchester, Hampstead, Mt Airy (all in Carroll County) will be surprised to find out they are not incorporated municipalities. Baltimore and Howard Counties do not have any municipalities in them but outside those two there are 158 incorporated municipalities in the state. Each one has its own unique brand of 'local politics'. I joke that our town's election process is completely unhackable. We use a brass and glass ballot box that is over 100 years old, paper ballots that are counted by hand with results posted on a white board the same evening. The voting booths look like they were made with scrap lumber and someones old curtains. No one knows how old they are the oldest voters in town remember the same ones being used when their parents brought them to town hall when they voted. That is tradition.

Maryland has a lot of government jobs around DC, those cause people to come here. Many end up staying. It is a standing joke around here in Frederick County in many of our towns you are a transplant if your great grand parents weren't born in the town. An immigrant is someone who moved in from Montgomery County. From what I have seen it is the same on much of the Eastern Shore. By the way many of the 'non white' (As you so delicately put it) residents can trace their roots in the state further back than the whites can. I have a couple friends who can show you the farms their families were enslaved on in Maryland.

So don't go categorizing us based on the small area between Baltimore and Washington.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 AM

I was going to provide a link of municipalities in Maryland from wiki but this site might claim they are a competitor.

I am going to find another site.......

Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I was going to provide a link of municipalities in Maryland from wiki but this site might claim they are a competitor.

I am going to find another site.......
More than needed probably

https://www.mdmunicipal.org/Document...ry-2019?bidId=

Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 9,956 times
Quote:

I have also lived in both Maryland (Baltimore metro) and Michigan (Southern). I do miss the town-feeling that I had in Michigan, where it's a town followed by rolling farmland for miles, before another town. Each town felt unique and different. I've been in Maryland for quite a long time now, and I don't really feel much community or identity in the areas I've lived.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeMainer View Post
I have also lived in both Maryland (Baltimore metro) and Michigan (Southern). I do miss the town-feeling that I had in Michigan, where it's a town followed by rolling farmland for miles, before another town. Each town felt unique and different. I've been in Maryland for quite a long time now, and I don't really feel much community or identity in the areas I've lived.
Because you have lived in the Baltimore Metro. It was explained I thought quite well above.

I disagree completely with your comment.

Both you, and the other poster for all I know are transplants. You wouldn't have any community attachment because you haven't lived here for decades. Not that anybody reading your comment hasn't figured this out. Or would be able to recognize it in small state with two large metros.

You were living in the 4th largest statistical metro in the US in Maryland.

Michigan is 96,716 Square Miles, Maryland is 9,776 Square miles of land. Gee, I wonder why one is more rolling, and is lousy for Jobs otherwise.....

Now if you and your Michigan pal loved Michigan so much why are you here?

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-23-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland