Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times

Advertisements

After doing a bit of research, and knowing now that I'd REALLY rather be in Columbia or Elicott City, I've also come to the conclusion that I'd like to have my kids attend Atholton (7th grader, 2nd grader & prek). Great scores and nice diversity. How do I find out which middle & elementary schools feed into it?

Also, I've never been in an area w/ so many townhouses. It would seem like it must be horrible to live in them b/c what if someone on one side is loud? Are the rooms pretty sound proof? Also, it seems that prices really aren't as bad as in VA - looking on Homesdatabase it seems like I can get a decent 3 or 4 bedroom for less than $2k (a lot here in TX but not there). I'd like a basement for the kids to play in. Are most finished? I think we're going to rent for the first 2 - 3 years, so that's why I'm so hung up on these questions.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,869 times
The area around Atholton doesn't have that many townhouses that I can think of (I grew up in the area, and graduated from Atholton in 1995, parents still live there).
The main feeder schools are Wilde Lake Middle, and I think some are still going to Clarksville Middle also (as long as you're more towards Cedar Lane than you are 108 on the Rt. 32 corridor.)
Elementary Schools, I know Clemens Crossing is the primary elementary school around there. A few may come from Wilde Lake elementary, but that's probably about it.
There are a couple streets that have rental houses (single family) in the Hickory Ridge area (Fair Oaks and Shady Grove are the street names, forget the rental company), but I have no idea what the prices are.

Here's the school locater for Howard County. Plug in your address, and it'll tell you which school districts you'd be in.
http://public.hcpss.org/sl/SYSBUS01.CGI

Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM

143 posts, read 871,127 times
My parents live in a townhouse in Ellicott City. I think they are pretty sound proof personally. Atholton is a great school district. Most MLS listings should have what schools your kids would be attending. If homesdatabase isn't as thorough, you can email me the addresses and I can let you know.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Much of the population currently at Atholton was redistricted a couple of years ago from River Hill High School. Atholton has a great reputation and faculty. It is fed by both Columbia and Clarksville areas. You may want to look at rentals in Clemens Crossing especially single family homes by Columbia Builders

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I went to Atholton High School and I had attended Hammond Elementary and Hammond Middle. It's been awhile, though, so not sure if those schools are still feeders.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
can I just say it's so amazing how nice everyone on these boards are? Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland