Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,330 times

Advertisements

Well Stupid, Idiot me got my first speeding ticket!!! Driving down a back country road for some unknown reason the speed limit was 35 they say I was going 58. If I was It was because I was going down a hill at the time!!! They were hiding behind a tree and they jump out on to the road and point at me. This happen in Howard county. I am from Florida visiting my father. I check with Florida they said yes I will get the points because Md does share info. here in Maryland it is 2 points in Florida they give you 4 pts. Trying to decide if come back up for court. to fight it or Guilty with explanation. I really don't know how I can fight they radar me at 58. I can't believe I was going that far over. my hope is to get i reduce no points never had a ticket in my life. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,077 times
If you have a good driving record don't worry about it. Your auto insurance probably won't raise your rates. I wouldn't make a trip back from Florida to fight it but if you're staying in MD for a while it might be worth your time to get the points lowered.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM

40 posts, read 110,403 times
2 years ago, I lived in Florida and got a 4pt ticket there for something not my fault. I saw no point in arguing in court because it is our word against a deputy.

I chose the other alternative- traffic school. You will still be responsible for paying the ticket but they will drop the points if you agree to take an online traffic school course. It will keep your insurance from going up, and it only costs like $15. Check into it!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 AM

924 posts, read 2,605,489 times
If you can go to court, chances are they will drop the points... btw I live in FL and have family in MD too, be careful speeding up there they aren't as lenient as down here...

Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM

I talk to Florida they say I can not do traffic school in Florida for this ticket. They say the only way to not get 4pts in florida is if MD drop the ticket. But I think if MD reduce the ticket florida should honor it. not sure what will happen.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 AM

40 posts, read 110,403 times
Ouch, sorry to hear they will not let you take the traffic school option. Good luck to you and I hope you can convince MD to drop it but that means going to court.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,696 times
Good Luck....Guilty with explanation may be a good way to go. I would talk about my pristine driving record, that it was an unfamiliar road and politely ask that consideration be given NOT to give you any points.

I just got a speeding ticket in Oxford, NC 'credited' with going 15 over the speed limit as was most of the other cars along side me..lol...but I have to pay a HEFTY fine but no points. They just want the money for revenue. I'm surprised you are having points applied to you.

Good Luck...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 AM

9 posts, read 17,690 times
If you have a clean driving record the judge will usually give you a probation before judgment hearing and you would be good to go. Making the trip to go to court is all up to you.

On another note, when will Howard County Police stop walking in the road to pull over speeders. Until another officer dies?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM

I did go to court and I did have to pay fine $160. no points probation before judgment. YEA! I used the Guilty with explanation thing, unfamiliar road etc.. Thanks for the pointer. Safe Driving!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland