Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM

167 posts, read 335,200 times

Advertisements

You are correct, Holden, I just entered Waltham, MA into Mapquest. So, it sounds like Arlington and Melrose are still the front runners. I don't really care about living within walking distance of stores, etc... I currently live in an area with minimal public transporation and have to drive to grocery stores, malls, etc... I'm fine with that. If I worked from home, a suburban to semi-rural location would be my choice, but since commuting is a necessary evil, I want to keep the time in the car or on the train to a minimum. From what I've read on here, Watertown sounds a bit more urban-esque than Melrose or Arlington, is that correct? As far as affordability goes, Melrose seems to be the best of the three. I saw some nice looking homes in Stoneham too. On the map, Stoneham looks like a 10 min drive further than Melrose. Is that correct or would traffic add on even more time to the morning drive than leaving from Melrose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
From what I've read on here, Watertown sounds a bit more urban-esque than Melrose or Arlington, is that correct?
I don't know that Watertown is, on the whole, that different from Arlington or Melrose in terms of urbanity. There are some denser parts with 2-family houses and small yards, but it's worth taking a look at what's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
As far as affordability goes, Melrose seems to be the best of the three. I saw some nice looking homes in Stoneham too. On the map, Stoneham looks like a 10 min drive further than Melrose. Is that correct or would traffic add on even more time to the morning drive than leaving from Melrose?
Stoneham is right next to Melrose Highlands and, in the end, may be about the same commuting time as Melrose. From Melrose, you have to make your way across town to 28 or the Fellsway East. Lynn Fells Pkwy heading west is, I know, not great in the morning. From Stoneham it's a straight shot down on 28 (still don't recommend 93).

Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 37,290 times
Hello Sunduri,

Arlington is great becasue of the RedLine option from Alewife Station; you coudl take a bus there from MAss Ave. There will nto be toomany options in your range because of the land but there are a few. Have you heard of the the Stone house that is for sale?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:15 PM

167 posts, read 335,200 times
i think I know what you're talking about re: the stone house. Is that the one that was "hand built" by a man and his wife? i saw it on the realty sites. I've seen quite a number of Arlington homes in my price range on the realtor's site, but of course I can't know what the street/surrounding area is like until I see it in person. I plan on flying up to Boston mid Aug to spend 3 days with a realtor going through the different neighborhoods that I've identified as possibilities and should have a better feel for where I want to end up after that.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 37,290 times
Good Luck Sunduri. If you get a chance go by Robbins Road. It is in the Brackett school district (which was ranked #1 in the county a few years back) and it is a very nice quiet street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts