Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times

Advertisements

Irfox's comments are generally true I just think Holyoke is a basket case and will be for the foreseeable future. Pittsfield is far more promising as is N. Adams and Greenfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Pittsfield and North Adams are great if you enjoy having no where to work and driving up to an hour for just about anything. And Pittsfield is just about as bad as Holyoke in being run down and down on it's luck. I would probably say Greenfield or even Brattleboro Vt are much better places to live.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I lived in pittsfield a couple years back for a few months. Where I lived was pretty nice, but it does have some pretty ugly areas. I would still live there in a second over any part of Holyjoke. The only reason to go to Holyjoke is to go to the mall. If a house was free I would refuse it...

Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
holyoke has some very very nice sections,almost everything west of rt 5 is very nice and quite. east of rt 5 is where you run into some of the more unsavory sections,especially the flats and down by the canals. Also there are way more jobs in the greater Springfield/Holyoke area then the Pittsfield area.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:10 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
If memory serves me correctly (?) isn't there one section called the Highlands that isn't too bad? If I HAD to live in Holyoke I would probably live there and have NOTHING at all to do with the rest of the city. What about Easthampton to live in?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,975 times
DO NOT MOVE DOWNTOWN. Downtown Holyoke is full of vagabonds, criminals and derilicts. The members of that community have no respect for anyone including themselves. I know this through first hand experiance. I am unfortunately a resident of one of those neighborhoods. Last night someone decided to blast their music at 230 am. not considerate of anyone who might have to work or go to school or whatever. but thenh why should they care about people with work schedules, most of them don't have one. Yes the rent is relatively low for that area, but there is a reason for that. Would you be willing to spend $10 on a mcdonald's cheeseburger? no. why? because there is no quality to it. its the same thing in downtown holyoke. there is no quality worth speaking about down there. turn tail and run the opposite way.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 30,076 times
No sane person seeking a fulfilling life for herself and their family would even remotely consider moving to the ugly, dysfunctional, god-awful, crime-ridden, soul-killing tragedy that is Holyoke. Right up the road there are real towns with trees and green spaces and little crime and well-adjusted people. Seek those places if your life has any meaning or value. And try to forget that Holyoke even exists.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM

11 posts, read 17,570 times
Default Move to Holyoke????

I grew up in western Mass. close to Holyoke, spent my youth there in the mid 1970's staying at my grnadmothers house on Suffolk street. Both my parents were born there. The area you described, High and Suffolk is not a good area at all. There is a lot of welfare in that area, lots of crime and drugs and gangs. Holyoke is NOT the city it was when I was a kid. I would steer as clear away from it as possible.

Check into Northampton Mass. or areas like Southampton, Easthampton, Westhampton,( more rural).

Western Mass.used to be a large industrial area, but when industry left, so dod the people, and we had all these multi family homes and tenament buildings that were empty. Mass. being very liberal, the leaders saw great opportunity to fill these houses with welfare people who do not contributre to society and do not have respect for others....therefore cities are broke and middle class people are paying for lazy people.

I love Holyoke Mass. It WAS a very great city at one time. I have a lot of great memories there, but it has changed radically, do yourself a favor, stay away from Holyoke Mass..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts