Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,673 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to MA next year to attend WSU, so I need to find a safe affordable place to live that's not too far of a commute from the school. Are there any suggestions for places in Worcester and surrounding suburbs that are safe, affordable, and not too far of a commute?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,064 times
Traditional college student? How much a month can you afford? Car?

If you can find a place west of Park Ave. (which Worcester State is), you'll be alright. It's more suburban though. Maybe some of the areas east of Elm Park with the WPI and Becker kids.

There aren't any major problems in the suburbs, but you might not be able to find appropriate rentals in some spots. Best bests would be Auburn, Millbury, Shrewsbury, and parts of Leicester like Cherry Valley and Rochdale.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 AM

88 posts, read 233,692 times
As has been said many times here about Worcester, it's a tricky city. What type of lifestyle are you looking for?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Thank you all for replying, I greatly appreciate it! I am a non-traditional student in my mid-20s. I was raised in the south and also attended college here. I am an open-minded and well rounded individual, so I shouldnt problems with adjusting. I am looking to pay between $600 and $800 for rent and I will have a car. I know it is fairly expensive to live in the Northeast compared to the South, but from my research it seems like Worcester is cheaper to live in comparison to other cities in the area. Am I correct? Are the suburbs you all mentioned affordable as well? How far of a commute are they from Worcester?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,306,064 times
Alright, here's my reviews

Anything heading eastward towards Boston (Shrewsbury, Northboro, Westboro, Grafton, etc...) would be $$$$, more so than Worcester easily. There's a lot of nice towns here, but most of this won't be in your price range unless you get something small and/or happen to get lucky.

Auburn and Leicester ("less-turr") border Worcester, and personally I think they're fine. It should be cheaper here than to the east, which is also a plus.

I'm not terribly familiar with Millbury, aside from the Blackstone shopping area off 146. But I haven't heard anything bad about the town. Could be worth looking at too.

If you want to go further out to potentially save a little:

Fitchburg - I probably wouldn't bother. Leominster is better and closer. Much of the town isn't very nice either.

Leominster - 20 miles north of Worcester, up 190 through the hills. Seems further away than it actually is, due to the seemingly nothing between the two cities. Winter weather might be a concern, this way gets more snow and cold than to the south/east.

Southbridge - A lot of people rip on this place because it's yet another depressed mill town, not near the highway, and is 20-25% Puerto Rican. It's about a half hour southwest of Worcester via Stafford St. and Route 169. There are some areas in town which aren't pretty, but there are some which are nice. Personally I like Southbridge a little better than Webster, especially since I don't like the whole country vibe of Webster.

Webster - Route 193 is a good dividing line: nice to the east, sketchy to the west (esp. off Main St.). Has some drug/unemployment/poverty issues like any old depressed mill town. However, this place is strange... it's Massachusetts' best impersonation of the stereotypical South.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 45,192 times
I live in Auburn and it is very nice- easy access to many highways, quiet neighborhoods yet places to eat & shop along route 12 - I don't know if there are many places that rent, though.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 PM

I second the opinion on Webster. If you are set on suburbs, try Holden.

Fact is that you can find what you are looking for, in your price range, in a decent neighborhood, in Worcester proper, you just have to dig a little deeper for it. It's there though.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks a bunch for the great info, definitely helpful! I definitely would like to live in Worcester b/c I want something a little bigger and diverse since I have lived in a suburb most of my life. I was thinking that it may be cheaper in the suburb at least from my experience. Hi Gabe1972, do you happen to know of some places I should look at? I have been researching apartments in the area, thus I have a list of some places.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 AM

Anywhere near UMASS is pretty good and there are a ton of apartments. I am talking south of Plantation, west of Belmont, east of Hamilton. This puts you close to all the restaurants on Shrewsbury St and the business district across the lake in Shrewsbury.

It also Also the area right around Worcester State, is pretty good. The neighborhood is known as Tatnuck. I wouldn't call the neighborhood walkable but I would call it bikeable. There are a whole bunch of neighborhood amenities withing a very short varied distance. Parks, restaurants and some cool little shops. You aren't from the area but it is similar to Newton, just not as dense with the commercial space.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,196,639 times
And more specifically in the Tatnuck area, I would look at Newton Square. There are some lovely older houses that have been converted into apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts