Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM

82 posts, read 287,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I see a lot of back and forth on this thread. We are looking for information on the Rockport area. My husband has accepted a job in Manchester.
On another note, I have lived in 7 states Or, Wa, Az,Nc,MD,Co Ca and without a doubt other than pay and jobs Colorado is number one. We disliked the others, mostly NC where we were not treated well in the town we lived in because we are not church goers. Weather sucked in NC and AZ, Or and WA. I have lived in rain year round, hot, humidity and more. I have always wanted to live in Mass. and I am thrilled I have the chance.I think it is state of mind and preference but does not mean others wont like it. So if anyone has any information on Rockport or other towns in the area i would appreciate it. Schools are important. Thanks
Hi Nea1,

If schools are important, many of the Cape Ann towns like Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, Newburyport, and Boxford have well regarded school systems. Gloucester is a small city with its share of urban problems, including drug issues, so I'm not sure about the reputation of the school system. Manchester itself is a nice town, but very pricey. Southern NH has some nice towns, but the commute would be long and even longer in inclement weather. Also, property taxes go up every year in some of the border towns to accommodate growing school systems.

Like you, we were not treated well in NC or TX because we don't attend church either, and people felt the necessity to prosletyze, which is considered incredibly rude in New England. It was not an environment in which to teach children tolerance and acceptance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMA View Post
Hi Nea1,

If schools are important, many of the Cape Ann towns like Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, Newburyport, and Boxford have well regarded school systems. Gloucester is a small city with its share of urban problems, including drug issues, so I'm not sure about the reputation of the school system. Manchester itself is a nice town, but very pricey. Southern NH has some nice towns, but the commute would be long and even longer in inclement weather. Also, property taxes go up every year in some of the border towns to accommodate growing school systems.

Like you, we were not treated well in NC or TX because we don't attend church either, and people felt the necessity to prosletyze, which is considered incredibly rude in New England. It was not an environment in which to teach children tolerance and acceptance.
Hi, thanks for the info, we are coming in the beginning of Feb. to check out the areas.
Yes we had the same issues in NC. My husband was told to cover his tattoo of a panther on his arm so he could get work and that we should really attend a church, at that moment he said, we are out of here.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM

82 posts, read 287,826 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the info, we are coming in the beginning of Feb. to check out the areas.
Yes we had the same issues in NC. My husband was told to cover his tattoo of a panther on his arm so he could get work and that we should really attend a church, at that moment he said, we are out of here.
It was definitely a weird experience. In New England, people go to church, but religion is considered a private topic. I think there is a lot more conformity in those states, whereas we have a live-and-let-live' attitude up here.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 PM

22 posts, read 60,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMA View Post
They are talking about the healthcare provided by the state in collusion with big insurance, which is only available to low-income people. If you have private healthcare through your company, it's not affected.
Kathy, did you read the article?

Here is some quote:
"the average family premium for plans offered by employers in Massachusetts was $13,788 in 2008, 40 percent higher than in 2003. Over the same period, premiums nationwide rose an average of 33 percent."

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 35,445 times
I guess it's a matter of taste, but having lived in Baltimore, DC, and Central California, I think the greater Boston area has a lot of great attributes -- the public schools in Massachusetts are among the very best in the country, the residents are well-educated and very tolerant of diversity (in Baltimore I once had a nightmare that the people in my neighborhood burnt a cross in my lawn, and I'm not even a person of color), and there are beautiful beaches everywhere, plus the history and charming new England towns. We also take advantage of the many offerings (talks, performances, community classes, lab schools for day care etc.) at the 100 colleges in the area. It's amazing.

Real estate is really expensive, and that does get me down, but I'm staying.

If I could handle the commute I would move to Rockport in a minute - I love it. Good schools, great arts community, Roy Moore's lobster shack, and some of the most beautiful views around. Real estate is better priced than in Manchester and I think culturally people are more down to earth.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,886 times
I love it here. Great people, smaht, snesible people (see:Scott Brown) and many intangibles on top of all the other great things people say about it. Yah, taxes should not be as high and people should use their directionals...but being a NY transplant 30+ years ago, I never looked back.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,884 times
Okay i live in Texas, and i would do anything to leave this state, Yall are lucky that yall live in that kind of place. Here, wow theres nothing but trees and a movie theater...

Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
I see a lot of back and forth on this thread. We are looking for information on the Rockport area. My husband has accepted a job in Manchester.
On another note, I have lived in 7 states Or, Wa, Az,Nc,MD,Co Ca and without a doubt other than pay and jobs Colorado is number one. We disliked the others, mostly NC where we were not treated well in the town we lived in because we are not church goers. Weather sucked in NC and AZ, Or and WA. I have lived in rain year round, hot, humidity and more. I have always wanted to live in Mass. and I am thrilled I have the chance.I think it is state of mind and preference but does not mean others wont like it. So if anyone has any information on Rockport or other towns in the area i would appreciate it. Schools are important. Thanks
Yes,I agree-having lived in CO for 3 years-it has a fantastic quality of life, and is a very well run state, overall! (I was born and raised in MA, lived in MT for several years, and now in CA for ten (SFO and SD), in addition to CO.) Colorado, however, had higher insurance coverage(autos), than CA! But not as high as MA. Yes, MA does have higher costs for several aspects of one's day to day living. Much as I love the state/area, one must be honest without attachment. Not to say it is unworkable, but to weigh in as someone from MA and living in other 'rumoured very expensive places', MA has a high cost of living; wages are relatively high as well, however.

MA also has even more of a 'nanny state' mentality then CA.
However, there are no doubt numerous salt-of-the-earth locales in MA (ie,rockport,for one), where you will find common sense living and politics. It seems that popular opinion on Rockport is that it's rather remote, and this is it's main deterrent.

The OP asked for info about Rockport, not a diatribe on life in MA. I do not recall OP ever asking for any general opinion about anything in MA....LOL

But, what the heck? I decided to weigh in with m y two cents, since everyone else has, and it looked like such fun!!! I didn't want to miss out.

Good luck w/your potential move, OP. MA is a beautiful state and a wonderful place to live, either for a few years, or a lifetime, for some people.
Hey, any state can be said to be 'for anyone, but not for everyone', right?
Massachusetts: It's for anyone, but not for everyone!
How about that for a new state slogan?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Can I give you my two cents on the general topic of moving or living in Massachusetts? Eastern Massachusetts, I mean.

Honestly, since the beginning of time people have complained about the long and cold winters, but many people do not complain about it and like the New England climate! They don't feel they have to leave. You are hearing from those who can't stand the snow and cold, so it looks like everyone is unhappy with the weather.

As a matter of fact, when I moved to NYC I missed the kind of weather I experienced for 25 years in Boston! I am sorry that the NY summers are so hot and humid in comparison to what I experienced living near the water in Boston. (I live near the water in NY and it is not as pleasant.)

Cost of housing? Well, it's not just the housing that you are buying, IMO. You are buying in a region which offers incomparable intellectual and cultural opportunities. You aren't going to be able to match that anywhere else. Believe me, it's true!

I would die if I had to move to NC or SC. I would greatly miss being around the number of world class universities, colleges and museums, not to mention the teaching hospitals and medical schools.

It all depends upon what you value, I guess.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,884 times
Default Marshall to Rockport

When I graduate high school I'm thinking about moving to Rockport, MA, probably go to college there too. I'm from Marshall, TX. Its hot here all the time, it gets very tiring. I've lived here all my life. I'm so ready for a change. I've always wanted to live around Boston. Do yall think its a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts