Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,241 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a place to live that would benefit our commutes. I'm stationed at Hanscom AFB in Bedford/Lexington and she goes to school at Emmanuel College in Boston (On The Fenway)

I would be driving to work and she would be taking the T so we're looking for a place somewhere in between that would be close to the Red or Green line on the MBTA, and a half hour or less commute for me. Therein lies the rub: Where do we go?

I've googled my ass off and come up with two prospects: Newton or Cambridge. Our budget will probably put us in a small 1 Bedroom, but beggars can't be choosers...

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM

160 posts, read 571,466 times
In addition, you may also want to look at Waltham, Belmont, Watertown, Winchester, Arlington, Somerville and test drive the commutes.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,296 times
Recommend Watertown!! Watertown Apartments and Watertown Rentals in Massachusetts

Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post
In addition, you may also want to look at Waltham, Belmont, Watertown, Winchester, Arlington, Somerville and test drive the commutes.
Great locations for the OP's commute, but not the best for his wife's trip to the Fenway area by public transit. CleverUserName, for the purpose of considering all the options, you may want to keep in mind that it is possible to get to The Fenway by public transit from all these areas, but it would be kind of a long commute from many of these areas, with two transfers involved in most cases.

Unfortunately it's true that the options are limited when you're looking for workable commutes to both these locations, especially with one commute involving public transit. Another area I would suggest looking would be Brighton. If you stay west of Market St., in neighborhoods such as Brighton Center and Oak Sq., you can avoid the concentrations of noisy undergrad students farther east in Brighton. There is no green line service that far west in Brighton, but I did a quick check at the MBTA website, and it appears that the 57 bus may offer a reasonable commute from the west side of Brighton to Kenmore Sq., which might put your wife within walking distance, and where there's also a green line connection if she would still find the walk from Kenmore too long.

MBTA Subway 'The 'T' > Maps, Schedules, and Fare Information for the Boston Area Subway System

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus

Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
Another possibility would be to commute via the Orange Line. I know a woman who works at one of the Fenway-area colleges and lives in Malden and does this, and she walks or takes a shuttle bus from Ruggles station. She tried living in Red Line territory but hated it--she said changing trains in rush hour is miserable, but just riding through the city is quite painless.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 28,413 times
There are a few ways you could do this. E.g. Waltham, Needham, maybe even West Roxbury. If you look south of Waltham, your wife could pick up the D Line at Riverside, which has a stop on Park Drive, reasonably close to Emmanuel College.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 14,587 times
Here are some places to consider, especially since you work on Hanscom AFB, you have to factor into your commute to the base. I would consider areas such as Davis Square in Somerville, North Cambridge, in which these areas are close to the Redline (MBTA). Another area is Brighton/Allston anything close to Memorial Drive, which would lead you to Route 2. Brighton/Allston would be great for your wife, since she only have to take the Greenline trolley to Emmanuel College in Fenway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts