Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 18,454 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a job near Hanscom AFB and I wanted to game plan to get an idea of good towns that are around the base. Renting is definitely an option as I don't want to buy until I am reasonably sure I like the town. Wife and I have a child who will be eligible for preschool in the next year so schools definitely matter.

Would like to have a town with a nice downtown area, gyms, parks, grocery stores etc, but also have a lot of athletic activities for kids, ice rinks, and maybe a slight blue collar feel. I cant stand the total yuppie/hipster vibe.

I have looked into Burlington, Arlington, Melrose, Wakefield, Natick, Reading, but would appreciate a locals take on these towns or those I haven't mentioned.

Thanks
RL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
Burlington jumps out as the right place for you, based on your list and where you'll be working. You'll find a very family-oriented community, lots to do, plus you'll be able to commute to work without taking the interstate. Reading would also be a good fit, but why add the driving time?

Of the rest of your list, Arlington and to a lesser extent Melrose are probably too yuppie/hipster for your tastes, although both towns do have blue-collar roots.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM

93 posts, read 265,056 times
You might like Bedford itself as well, definitely more of a blue-collar feel especially when compared to neighboring towns like Lexington, Concord, and Lincoln. Bedford's town center is a little sleepy but there are quite a few shopping centers along Great Road with all the necessities of life, and it seems like a solid place to raise a family. IMO nothing beats a short commute!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Burlington, Woburn, Reading

Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
What is your price range for housing and what are your expectations (i.e. do you want a 5,000 sq ft brand new colonial or are you OK with a 1400 sq ft ranch from 1950)?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Renting in Burlington, Lexington, and Bedford is expensive. So yes, a budget would be a good thing to have before making suggestions.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM

11 posts, read 12,476 times
We lived in Woburn/Burlington area for 5 years a few years ago. It's nice area with lots of families with kids. Nothing is walkable so if you can reduce your commute time you can drive to play grounds in the evenings. Nice summer concerts in the area. Don't know about the ice skating options. Renting is okay..around 1500-2000 for 2 bedroom depending on the model.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 18,454 times
This is great information. I have a budget that would support ~$2200-2500 a month. I would like to rent initially just to be sure we like the area, and from what it sounds like, Burlington may fit the bill as there seems to be a large concentration of shopping, and activities for kids. It also looks like the schools are rated fairly well in Burlington.

How does Woburn, Reading and Burlington compare? I just want to have some options in mind.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM

69 posts, read 239,838 times
My wife and I lived in wakefield for two years after moving back to Mass from Denver. I work in Burlington and the commute was very reasonable. IMO, I would recommend wakefield, especially the areas near the lake. Housing costs, either for renting or buying are pretty reasonable, the schools are pretty good and around the lake is very family-oriented.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Personally, the commute on 95/128 from anywhere east of 93 is quite rough. Traffic is a nightmare for the PM commute especially. Reading would be the absolute furthest east I would consider to be honest.

Woburn is probably more 'blue collar' and a little more 'rough around the edges' than Burlington and Reading. Reading has the nicest downtown area of the three, but in all communities a car is necessary. The school system in Woburn is also below either Burlington or Reading.

With your budget, I would focus on Burlington if I were you. There are a couple of apartment complexes that fit your budget. One is Seven Springs, which is right off Middlesex Turnpike and walking distance to a plaza with a very large Market Basket (local supermarket chain). Technically, you could walk to the Burlington Mall also I think, but it's along the very busy Middlesex Turnpike and I don't think it has sidewalks in that area. Those apartments that will probably run you ~$2000-$2300/mth for a two bedroom + lots of amenities (pool, large fitness center, nice grounds for walking).

Houses are rare to rent in Burlington, but there might be a couple out there. Check out the Rental postings on Zillow or, if you want, even Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts